Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU organises "Shop North" protest

Options
  • 16-12-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

shooting%20yourself%20in%20the%20foot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Didn't they do a "Shop North" day already recently? They all took a day off and headed to Newry...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

can we close the border once they all are over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so they're going to give their future wages to the counter parts in the uk

to teach the government a lesson.

so on the next budget if they take another 5-10% from they'll have nothing to moan about right?

The intelligence levels from both PS and union's is extremley embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Ridiculous response from SIPTU, but unfortunately, I'm not the least bit surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

How difficult is it for these guys to understand that when they do something like this it does'nt hurt Brian Lenihan or the Government, it hurts our economy including all Irish people (whether Public or Private Sector and whether Employed or Unemployed).

Unfortunately, it is obvious that the obvious is not so obvious to an awful lot of really really stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Hopefully the same people who want to take part in this (I cant think up a suitable word to describe it at the moment) shop north trip will take this another step forward and "really get back at Ireland!" by quitting their jobs. After all, how could they ever be replaced??? The country would collapse and that would teach us that "JUST BECAUSE AN EMPLOYER IS FACING BANKRUPTCY IS NO EXCUSE FOR A 5% PAYCUT THAT PUTS EVERYONE ON THE BREADLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

"you hurt us we will hurt you"

the only ones they are hurting is themselves

so if they are shopping up north
    then theres less tax income here
    that means less money for welfare and ..... the public service

hmm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

How difficult is it for these guys to understand that when they do something like this it does'nt hurt Brian Lenihan or the Government, it hurts our economy including all Irish people.

Were talking about a Trade Union here. They dont give two ****s about our economy.

As regards the story: the true colors of some of these ironic Trade unionists are now showing. Greed is all they are at. The Government should deduct the money in these receipts from the wages of the service. See how they like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm a public sector worker and I and a lot of my colleagues think the public service union bs is laughable at best and disgusting at worst. They were all too keen to stay in bed with Bertie during the "partnership" years when they got us low paid public servants a whole 1% a year pay rise (while inflation was running at 4% - 5% :rolleyes:) which meant shag all to me but to those public servants on €70k+, it was a nice earner. AND the bearded ones awarded themselves payrises so now they earn €150k a year so its very hard to take these a$$holes seriously when they try to get us cannon fodder out on the streets to fight their fight.

I have a wife, 5 kids and a huge mortgage to pay but I know I'm lucky that I can still count on my €45k a year unlike a lot of people in the private sector. So I for one (and many others in the public service to be fair) will ignore the bearded ones in the unions and will continue to do our jobs that we know we are lucky to have. The ironic thing is that it is those bigwigs in the public service (i.e. the ones earning €70k - €250k+) who are most angry about the pay cut. I guess they just greedy during the so called boom years and don't like the cold hard light of a new day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I never liked the Unions or the idea of unions but I never in my wildest dreams thought they were this stupid.

After all if they were this thick in their understanding of basic economics they would never be capable of reaching an age of growing a beard. Darwins most basic laws would have wiped them out.

For this reason alone I am assuming this is a wind up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

As a PS worker not represented by SIPTU I have to say... what a fantastic ridiculous, stupid load of bollox.

Public Sector workers take your pay cut on the chin accept that it was neccessary, do something about the muppets who got us here in the first place but stop trying to drag the rest of the country down.

If someone wants to go north or UK (as I will be doing soon for a car) to get a better deal, fair enough.

To organise buses to travel north just to make a point with an actual slogan of you hurt us - we will hurt you is a frakking joke. Anyway I thought you all had no money to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I think that it is now obvious that the trade unions would prefer 1 private sector job loss to save 150 public sector workers 5% of their salary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm, does SIPTU represent anyone linked to the retail sector (i.e. retail workers/haulage/wholesale/whatever)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i really have no idea what to say about this. I'm shocked and I really really hope that I'm going to wake up in the shower in a few minutes and realise it was all a bad dream Dallas style.

For Gods sake how can any right minded person think this will achieve anything other than to piss more people off who already are pissed at the PS. I've often defended the PS against unfounded and ranty attacks but this is indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

omahaid wrote: »
    I think that it is now obvious that the trade unions would prefer 150 private sector job losses to save 1 public sector worker trade unionist 5% of their salary

Fixed your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I can only hope that this John McCarrick is a local numb skull who will be quickly slapped into line by the union leadership. I have no beef with anyone taking Mary Harneys advice to "shop around". IMO it's the governments job to help improve competitiveness and they wasted a big opportunity when they refused to cut the VAT rates to at least 17.5% to level the VAT rates in the new year. People have to do what they have to do to afford their goods and if that means going north then so be it.

Having said that, to actively encourage workers to cross the border (workers who might previously have opted to shop locally) at the expense of minimum wage shop assistants in Sligo is a step too far. The only people it will hurt are low paid shop workers in sligo, the sort who are likely not to have union membership. The government will love it, a great PR coup for them.

Is there any other source reporting this story besides a local sligo newspaper? Any confirmation from SIPTU? I would be surprised if it was a sanctioned move tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Oh my ******* God. We have to borrow money for them to do it???

Insane...fubar.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I think its time for Redundancies in SIPTU :mad:

I would like to encourage every public sector member to stop employing them, boycot them, or at least stop handing over a fixed percentage of your wages to them

What a disgrace. I think this is a step to far by the beards.

And I cant see many of their members standing up for this, and if they do we're all ruined:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

With all the talk of blaming bankers, developers, politicians etc for the bust, why is there no mention of the unions who helped suck this country dry with excessive wage demands to keep up with inflation when they should have been trying to moderate the inflation in the first place (not to mention demanding action to cool the housing market so their members could afford a house close to their jobs instead of 50-60 miles away).

Unions had their place but are irrelevant and impotent in the ruins of the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

whatnext wrote: »
    I think its time for Redundancies in SIPTU :mad:

I would like to encourage every public sector member to stop employing them, boycot them, or at least stop handing over a fixed percentage of your wages to them

What a disgrace. I think this is a step to far by the beards.

And I cant see many of their members standing up for this, and if they do we're all ruined:(:(:(

what a bunch of idiots.....

public servants, if you are unhappy with the pay cuts announced in the budget...QUIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

nesf wrote: »
    Hmm, does SIPTU represent anyone linked to the retail sector (i.e. retail workers/haulage/wholesale/whatever)?
    SIPTU is a general union which organises across the public and private sectors in Ireland and has large numbers (200,000) of members working in construction, health, education, transport and manufacturing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Services,_Industrial,_Professional_&_Technical_Union

jesus christ anyone in the private sector (Especially retail) who is a member of SIPTU should ****ing tell them where to shove their ****

they are hurting themselves

this is gone beyond ridiculous now

bamboozle wrote: »
    what a bunch of idiots.....

public servants, if you are unhappy with the pay cuts announced in the budget...QUIT

A bit of a simplistec opinion there. I wasn't happy with the paycuts. I doubt you'll find anyone in the PS who was!

I do however see the neccessity and I understand that it needed to be done. I'm still not happy, but I'll keep my job thanks.

SIPTU : Sligo Branch

Hanson's Retail Park, Cleveragh, Sligo.
    Tel: 071-9161841/60363 Fax: 071-9169004
    E-mail: sligo@siptu.ie
    The Sectoral Organiser is John McCarrick.
    He is supported by Adrian McArt and Anthony McCormack, Assistant Organisers and Pat O’Malley/Sandra Flanagan, Administrative Assistants.
    The major employments in the Branch are:
    • Bruss Ltd.
    • Connacht Gold Co-Op
    • Abott Ireland
    • North Western Health Board
    Lets stop whining about Siptu and just let them know directly.

Ring their office!
    Send them a fax!
    Send them an email!

Lets start a campaign!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Lets start a campaign!!!:)
    I emailed that branch as soon as I seen this thread, linking the story in the sligo weekender. I'd prefer to wait for their response before jumping on any bandwagon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Flex wrote: »
    ...(I cant think up a suitable word to describe it at the moment) shop north trip ...

How about the "Brats' Tantrum Trip"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

pah wrote: »
    A bit of a simplistec opinion there. I wasn't happy with the paycuts. I doubt you'll find anyone in the PS who was!

I do however see the neccessity and I understand that it needed to be done. I'm still not happy, but I'll keep my job thanks.

Not trying to pick on PS, but isn't it great to have that choice? I am 90% certain that I will loose my job within the next six months, and that is after two years of pay freezes and tightening of conditions...

Sent:16 December 2009 18:06:17To: sligo@siptu.ie

Bussing Irish Jobs Over the Border‏

I am amazed at your proposal to jeopardise employment in Irish companies by proposing that you operate a bus for your members to shop over the border as some sort of reprisal to the government.

Can I respectfully suggest that as an alternative, it would be preferable for you to borrow a rifle and use it to shoot yourself in the foot. As a gesture of solidarity you could pass it around your members to share the experience.

This would generate a lot of noise locally and is more likely to generate sympathy for your cause than your current plans, which will just hurt the rest of us.

Best Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Email sent......

Sir,
    I cannot believe the naivety of the union, to organise a trip across the border with the mantra, "you hurt us we will hurt you".

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhsngbmhkf&cat=news

A quick google search told me that you represent private sector workers, namely:-

Bruss Ltd.
    Connacht Gold Co-Op
    Abott Ireland

Do these companies operate in the Republic?
    Are they connected to the retail sector?

How will you react to the management of these firms when/if they decide to make redundancies?
    Will you tell your members in these firms that we had to give our money to the northern retailers because we were hurting?

How long did it take to come up with this brainwave?

When the tax revenue is down further next year and the Government hits the public sector with another paycut, they can show you this campaign. You only hurt the rest of the economy, ordinary taxpayers by this sort of stupid campaign.

Yours,

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote: »
    Not trying to pick on PS, but isn't it great to have that choice? I am 90% certain that I will loose my job within the next six months, and that is after two years of pay freezes and tightening of conditions...

Understood but I was speaking in terms of the post I had quoted from Bamboozle.

That's like telling ANY worker public or private if they don't like cuts to Quit. Nobody likes cuts I was just trying to highlight the simplicity of what he said.

Advertisement