Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU organises "Shop North" protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

pah wrote: »
    Understood but I was speaking in terms of the post I had quoted from Bamboozle.

public servants, if you are unhappy with the pay cuts announced in the budget...QUIT

That's like telling ANY worker public or private if they don't like cuts to Quit. Nobody likes cuts I was just trying to highlight the simplicity of what he said.

As I said, I am not picking at you or any PS worker. I was just highlighting that there is a silver lining on your story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I would've thought that a lot of workers from Sligo would head across to Enniskillen for shopping anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

One of SIPTU's main employers in Sligo is Connacht Gold Coop which employs 550 people in the republic.

This map shows the locations of their stores in the Mayo / Northwest Area. I wonder how their employees feel about the proposal to bus Irish jobs north of the border.

Lets keep the pressure on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jesus between this moronic campaign and the "leaders" of the trade union threatening to topple the government I think the time is right to go for the jugular. Cmon Brian and Brian if you do a good enough job on castrating the unions I might even vote for you, of course it will have to be a total sex change for the beards for that to happen :)

(also it makes me wonder do Siptu represent Northern Retail workers?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

gandalf wrote: »
    Jesus between this moronic campaign and the "leaders" of the trade union threatening to topple the government I think the time is right to go for the jugular. Cmon Brian and Brian if you do a good enough job on castrating the unions I might even vote for you, of course it will have to be a total sex change for the beards for that to happen :)

(also it makes me wonder do Siptu represent Northern Retail workers?)

they do have offices and members is north

this is not as simple as public/private divide

since SIPTU have members in both, they are only hurting themselves

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    they do have offices and members is north

this is not as simple as public/private divide

since SIPTU have members in both, they are only hurting themselves

No its a Unions divided from Reality problem......

Having got over my initial outrage, I now see this as SIPTU scoring a tremendous "Own Goal". This is nearly as good as Liam Doran telling us to shut our mouths.

Keep it up boys - hopefully it gets a lot of publicity and generate a backlash that will further damage the union's already tattered public image.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

This is a crazy idea and should be stopped by Liberty Hall diktat if necessary.

However can all those on this forum put hand on heart and state that they have never in the last 12 months crossed the border buying drink and groceries.

If you cant you are as bad as the crowd going over on a bus.

How many have purchased cars in the UK over the past 5 years depriving the local garage a sale.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

RGS wrote: »
    This is a crazy idea and should be stopped by Liberty Hall diktat if necessary.

However can all those on this forum put hand on heart and state that they have never in the last 12 months crossed the border buying drink and groceries.

How many have purchased cars in the UK over the past 5 years depriving the local garage a sale.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

I can.

All those like me, thank this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Another good idea from SIPTU. Let's stop this race to the bottom nonsense

RGS wrote: »

Individual shoppers going north for a better deal is rational consumer behaviour which will eventually, thru competitive pressure, force prices here down as well. The reduction in the VAT Rate and DUTY on Booze are examples of this happening in practice.

Arranging busloads of union members to shop up north as a deliberate ploy to deprive our government of the taxes that it uses to pay public sector wages is akin to shooting oneself in the foot which is not rational consumer behaviour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Individual shoppers going north for a better deal is rational consumer behaviour which will eventually, thru competitive pressure, force prices here down as well. The reduction in the VAT Rate and DUTY on Booze are examples of this happening in practice.

What a load of dross--the VAT reduction and excise reduction will do diddly squat to stop the shoppers going north.

Secondly any consumer going north is depriving his local shop of much need revenue to pay his taxes and salaries of his employees, who next year could be on the dole, thereby requiring the government to find more money to pay SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

i really have no idea what to say about this. I'm shocked and I really really hope that I'm going to wake up in the shower in a few minutes and realise it was all a bad dream Dallas style.

OMG, where did you get the water proof laptop, to be able to post this from the shower.
    We need waterproof laptops down the west sooooo badly.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Trade unionist here (Mandate).

Even I must admit I'm pretty shocked by this proposal. I really don't see what it achieves and galvanises public opinion against trade unions even further.

Although saying that, I'm not ashamed I'm a member of a union either, it seems some people treat all trade unions as a single entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Arranging busloads of union members to shop up north as a deliberate ploy to deprive our government of the taxes that it uses to pay public sector wages is akin to shooting oneself in the foot which is not rational consumer behaviour!!

What you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Another good idea from SIPTU. Let's stop this race to the bottom nonsense

Eh, shifting consumption to the North will just accelerate the race to the bottom as only those retail firms with the lowest costs and wages will survive. If you want to stop the race to the bottom, shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As sent only 5 minutes ago
    [FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ninty9er
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sent:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 16 December 2009 21:33
    To: 'sligo@siptu.ie'
    Subject: Shop North Protest[/FONT]

Dear SIPTU Organiser,

I’m gleeful today to be able to call myself a former SIPTU member. As someone who was employed in the retail sector for a number of years until 2008, I cannot comprehend how anyone could think such a public attack on the employment of union members in the Republic employed in retail, haulage and services could help your ridiculous cause to overturn cuts that were not only not severe, but will be much worse next year if you pursue your ridiculous plan to take members to Northern Ireland to shop.

I only hope many others will see sense and make themselves former members of SIPTU, rendering it, and you with it, irrelevant. Get back to me when you are in the dole queue as a result of dwindling membership requiring ever less representation and tell me that a 5% pay cut is severe!

Yours in utmost contempt,

ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can.

All those like me, thank this post.

I also can, and I live near the border. I choose to shop locally not so much for patriotic motives, but because I want to be a good neighbour. I don't want my neighbours losing their jobs.

Keep sending those emails to siptu. Let them know that they don't have public support

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If Joe Duffy or Newstalk get hold of this there will be some massive response to it :D

Tell him what you think at "joe@rte.ie" at we could make for an interesting afternoon tomorrow:)

you need to include your real name and phone number so they can verify that you are for real

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cc newstalk/rte :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I barely feel compelled to argue for reform anymore; the Union Lemmings appear to be doing all the arguing for us, almost like a cry for help.

Honestly, if I saw this in Monthy Python, I wouldn't laugh, I'd just say its too silly to be believable. What are they smoking at these Union meetings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah it's only a deliberate attempt to sabotage the country's economy and deepen the recession. Sure it's not like they're greedy bankers and developers or anything.

Don't forget Pat Kenny - Send your text to #51551 with the word TODAY followed by your comment :)

ntlbell wrote: »
    cc newstalk/rte :D
    Vincent Browne is just starting....get them in there!!

I'll post all the relevant email addresses when I have them collated.

Sent this to them and cc'ed ICTU, RTE and Newstalk
    Siptu Shopping Protest - to Northern Ireland

To whom it may concern.

I see from the Sligo Weekender that Sligo SIPTU organiser John McCarrick is organising a "Protest Shopping Trip" to Enniskillen. Do you seriously think that organising a shopping trip to Northern Ireland as a "protest" is going to stir any emotion other than contempt in the general tax paying population to what the unions stand for.

Can someone in Siptu please explain to me how this "protest" helps get us all out of the mess that we are in.

Regards,

cc'ed to ICTU, Newstalk & RTE.

joe@rte.ie; tts@rte.ie; todaypk@rte.ie; grs@rte.ie; thelastword@todayfm.com; therighthook@newstalk.ie; tom@newstalk.ie; afternoon@newstalk.ie;

The email above prefaced with:

The email below is one I sent to the SIPTU Sligo organisation in disgust at the disregard shown to the 80%ish of workers that represents the private sector in this country. The willingness of SIPTU to cause further economic woes just so it's overpaid, hitherto overindulged employees can hold onto the fantasy that they know best.

Unfortunately I will not be able to come on the show, being employed, I have work to do, but I'm sure someone from SIPTU or a public sector worker will have plenty of time to respond to my rant.

Yours in utter disbelief at this nonsense,

ninty9er

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

snubbleste wrote: »
    I would've thought that a lot of workers from Sligo would head across to Enniskillen for shopping anyway?

A couple of years ago I visited some friends living near the border in Cavan. Most people there went across the Border to do their shopping.

Advertisement