Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU organises "Shop North" protest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Attn: John McCarrick, Sectoral Organizer, SIPTU, Sligo

Dear Mr McCarrick:

McCarrick eh ;) And the little runt is double jobbing into the bargain :o

http://www.specs4hire.ie/stars-in-their-specs/IMG_2551.jpg

R1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

It makes sense to anyone to shop up North and its the government fault, the lowering of wages while retail prices have not changed or even increased means people cannot afford the goods they want for christmas in the ROI but have no choice but to go up north. Good to see unions encourage this. The government thinks it can solve the problems it created by stomping on the little guy, dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So the unions instead decide to stomp on the little guy. Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

woodseb wrote: »
    can we close the border once they all are over?

Jesus some people never miss up on a cheap shot. The type of guy that would stab you in the back or hit you from behind.

Anyway excusing this guys ignorance.....

I work in the public sector. This is the most ridicilous thing I have heard in years. SIPTU should be ashamed of their childish attitude and hopefully their members wont follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Stark wrote: »
    So the unions instead decide to stomp on the little guy. Bravo.
    Have you ever bought something online or in NI that you could have gotten in this country? Then you're also stomping on the little guy.

It is not advisable for the union to be publicising trips to NI as being some sort of backlash towards the government. However the act itself - going north to shop - is perfectly understandable. Most who will whinge about it are hypocrites. See above.

And still nobody has come out with a negative comment on ISME's threat (made well before any "shop north" protest) to illegally stop paying taxes. Yet a legal action by a union has in this thread, been compared to action by the UVF. Wow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

PS workers, next time the unions suggest another day on strike, ask them can you stage a two day protest, they will say no, why? cos over one day and they will have to pay you strike money, which means that they will be out of pocket! :mad:

expect alot of one day strik's !!

This post has been deleted.

Please try and post something that makes sense.

I live in Wexford and have to travel a long distance by car to work, with petrol prices going up and my wages going down I am struggling to make ends meet for christmas and although its a long drive up north, ill my my petrol and presents and whatever else I need up their much more cheaply than down south. I dont wont to do this but the governemnt are forcing me to do this. Point made.

gaz wac wrote: »
    PS workers, next time the unions suggest another day on strike, ask them can you stage a two day protest, they will say no, why? cos over one day and they will have to pay you strike money, which means that they will be out of pocket! :mad:

expect alot of one day strik's !!

the unions will do what their member tell them to do, most PS know the one day strikes are pointless and actually do want a prolonged set of strikes, if the unions do not agree the unions will find their membership dwindle rapidily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

fartmaster wrote: »
    most PS know the one day strikes are pointless and actually do want a prolonged set of strikes, if the unions do not agree the unions will find their membership dwindle rapidily.

Dont think so man. Alot of the PS will just grin and bear the latest cuts. Most dont want to strike at all, most already have taken savage cuts and cannot afford to be losing a days wages for every strike day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Cuchulain wrote: »
    Dont think so man. Alot of the PS will just grin and bear the latest cuts. Most dont want to strike at all, most already have taken savage cuts and cannot afford to be losing a days wages for every strike day.

I think that's about right, except for the bit about grinning. They'll moan and bear them. I don't object to people having a therapeutic moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

the unions will do what their member tell them to do, most PS know the one day strikes are pointless and actually do want a prolonged set of strikes, if the unions do not agree the unions will find their membership dwindle rapidily.

i'd totally disagree. I think we'll actually see less strikes in the new year. A work to rule program across the Public sector and going on what came out of the union meetings yesterday a much more politicised campaign. It appears the aim now is to get the current government out and force and election.

What this will achieve for unions is open to debate, as if as expected FG get into power there wil be further pain to bear. That is unless Labour end up as a minority partner and the unions hope that their sway here will work to their favour

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Cuchulain wrote: »
    Jesus some people never miss up on a cheap shot. The type of guy that would stab you in the back or hit you from behind.

Anyway excusing this guys ignorance.....

I work in the public sector. This is the most ridicilous thing I have heard in years. SIPTU should be ashamed of their childish attitude and hopefully their members wont follow suit.

it is one of the most ridiculous things that i have heard too - which is why i responded with a equally frivolous suggestion:rolleyes:

maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call others ignorant backstabbers.

i'd totally disagree. I think we'll actually see less strikes in the new year. A work to rule program across the Public sector and going on what came out of the union meetings yesterday a much more politicised campaign. It appears the aim now is to get the current government out and force and election.

What this will achieve for unions is open to debate, as if as expected FG get into power there wil be further pain to bear. That is unless Labour end up as a minority partner and the unions hope that their sway here will work to their favour

We have only had 2 strikes and they were simple and useless. The unions need to take proper action or they will become simple and useless. As for unions wanting a FG led government, i dont think so. FG must be they most anti PS party there is out there! A proper strike to show FF the PS means business is the only way forward otherwise they will come back for more cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

We have only had 2 strikes and they were simple and useless. The unions need to take proper action or they will become simple and useless. As for unions wanting a FG led government, i dont think so. FG must be they most anti PS party there is out there! A proper strike to show FF the PS means business is the only way forward otherwise they will come back for more cuts.

You really don't get it do you? You are still arguing as if there is some magical pit of money. When daddy is broke he just can't buy the sweeties no matter how much you cry.

A "proper" strike as you call it will ensure the Government have the backing of the majority of taxpayers to sort the unions out once and for all.

If actions like the one advocated by the original story that started this thread are an indication of actions that the unions are going to take then the Government are justified in pressing ahead with full reforms without any consultation with the unions.

This coupled with the fact that an awful lot of the lowered paid PS's do not have the stomach to lose more days pay to protect the lazy or the well paid who are doing most of the screaming at the moment.

I expect them to call in a work for rule and if that happens I expect the management to monitor everyone especially those who normally do nothing and ensure that they carry out their duties during this to the letter to ensure at least we'll get a full days work out of them. And if they don't to make an example of them in the most decisive fashion possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

well i for one am going up north shopping
    We are due a baby in january and we can buy most of our stuff 30% cheaper up there.
    It is now time to reduce cost in the south and slash private sector wages by 15 - 20 % and i mean that on top of what every cuts they have take if any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

seangal wrote: »
    slash private sector wages by 15 - 20 % and i mean that on top of what every cuts they have take if any
    How does that help restore liquidity to the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

seangal wrote: »
    well i for one am going up north shopping
    We are due a baby in january and we can buy most of our stuff 30% cheaper up there.
    It is now time to reduce cost in the south and slash private sector wages by 15 - 20 % and i mean that on top of what every cuts they have take if any
    Every job lost in retail industry here means less money for public sector.
    Every single thing, which you will buy on north, means less tax take from VAT.
    Smaller incomes in private sector will bring less tax again.
    Less taxes means more borrowing for higher price
    Probably you right – we need to bring country down as quick as possible, slash PS payroll bill by 80% and start public services from scratch
    Shopping on the north is the best way to do it
    Private sector must start to do it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Private sector must start to do it as well

Are you implying that they don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

What an idiotic and stupid idea for a protest. What the country needs is people to be a bit more sensible, but instead it gets muppets like this who think shortsighted and self defeating ideas like this should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It matters not the reason for going north--the idiotic SIPTU call or the so called "value for money" argument they both have the same outcome, less money in our economy, more unemployment.

A vicious circle which will only lead us in to a depression.

All employess both private and public need to think carefully about their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hard to blame people for shopping up north, I live in the south so its not an option for me, but I can definately see that it is tempting for a family with very little disposable income to shave 20-40% (if anecdotes are right) off their shopping bill. However this action by SIPTU if they are serious is both irresponsible and disgraceful. They will lose all public support if they carry on like this, imagine a retailer in Drogheda or Donegal looking at this! Who do they think they are hurting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There's a certain mindset at work here.

"We didn't cause the problems. The private sector caused the problems yet they are taking it out on us.

Well now we're going to fight back and kick them where it hurts: profits and jobs."

I think that is where the people who agree with this sort of action are coming from.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    There's a certain mindset at work here.

"We didn't cause the problems. The private sector caused the problems yet they are taking it out on us.

Well now we're going to fight back and kick them where it hurts: profits and jobs."

I think that is where the people who agree with this sort of action are coming from.

Yep its called economics with Crayons!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 koplegend

ntlbell wrote: »
    so they're going to give their future wages to the counter parts in the uk

to teach the government a lesson.

so on the next budget if they take another 5-10% from they'll have nothing to moan about right?

The intelligence levels from both PS and union's is extremley embarrassing.
    Do you lot not understand?
    Why do you fall for this patriotic bull?
    It makes sense that if your money is cut and items can be bought cheaper elsewhere you will go there. Its called economics.
    When massive road building contracts were being divvied out during the boom (ha!) the powers that be had no problem giving them to Turkish companies etc.
    Now they ask us to be patriotic?
    Get off the stage and spare me your tears!
    When policymakers realise they are dealing with a populace that has backbone and will unite when those on SW are taking a bigger hit than those at the top, they will be forced to revise their behaviour.
    But as long as there are those who roll over without a fight when presented with a challenge, they will keep on doing what they're doing.
    So, make a stand rather than meekly accept that the swindlers in the banks and compliant policymakers cannot be questioned and resisted.

Or people like David Begg who headed the audit committee of the Central Bank of Ireland eh koplegend ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Aren't they entitled to shop in the north if they wish? It's not illegal to advocate that kind of action. Not that I'm a big fan of the public sector unions anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 koplegend

gandalf wrote: »
    Or people like David Begg who headed the audit committee of the Central Bank of Ireland eh koplegend ;)

It's time for everyone to stand up and be counted, NOW. I'ts up to everybody to show their true colours and where exactly they stand on the matter.
    I am sure that if those in 'the disaster capitalist brigade' got an opportunity to rewind , they might view it from a different perspective, dont you think!

Advertisement