Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU organises "Shop North" protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Red Alert wrote: »
    Aren't they entitled to shop in the north if they wish? It's not illegal to advocate that kind of action. Not that I'm a big fan of the public sector unions anyway.

Individuals are perfectly entitled to shop where they want.

However when a union like Siptu which claims to represent workers in the Private as well as the Public Sector comes out with crud like that listed by the OP then we have a problem.

koplegend wrote: »
    It's time for everyone to stand up and be counted, NOW. I'ts up to everybody to show their true colours and where exactly they stand on the matter.
    I am sure that if those in 'the disaster capitalist brigade' got an opportunity to rewind , they might view it from a different perspective, dont you think!

Take a stand and do what exactly?

Throw a sissy fit like the unions did, have a day off like the PS workers were forced to do by their unions?

How about knuckle down and work this country out of this downturn?

How about give the taxpayer value for money for our public services?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Yeah, these fat cat bankers shud be ashamed of themselves. yer man David Begg is a good example. Not only screwing up things for ordiniry workers thru the bank he works at but hes one of the top dogs at Air Lingus as well. Bring back bertie is what I say -he'd look aftrer the workrs so hw would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Have you ever bought something online or in NI that you could have gotten in this country? Then you're also stomping on the little guy.

It is not advisable for the union to be publicising trips to NI as being some sort of backlash towards the government. However the act itself - going north to shop - is perfectly understandable. Most who will whinge about it are hypocrites. See above.

And still nobody has come out with a negative comment on ISME's threat (made well before any "shop north" protest) to illegally stop paying taxes. Yet a legal action by a union has in this thread, been compared to action by the UVF. Wow :rolleyes:

Further comment needed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Attn: John McCarrick, Sectoral Organizer, SIPTU, Sligo

Dear Mr McCarrick:

McCarrick eh ;) And the little runt is double jobbing into the bargain :o

http://www.specs4hire.ie/stars-in-their-specs/IMG_2551.jpg

R1

FYI - there is more than one John McCarrick in Sligo......

I think the proposed campaign is ridiculous in the extreme, highly divisive, and totally playing into the government's hands by further driving a wedge between the public and the private sector- when the scandal is the chronic mismanagement of the Irish economy by half-wit politicians.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

When massive road building contracts were being divvied out during the boom (ha!) the powers that be had no problem giving them to Turkish companies etc.
    Now they ask us to be patriotic?
    Get off the stage and spare me your tears!

Had forgotten about that. There was a story a few months ago about a retailer or group of retailers near the border that had printed off leaflets encouraging people to shop local. They got the leaflets printed up north.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

It's time for everyone to stand up and be counted, NOW. I'ts up to everybody to show their true colours and where exactly they stand on the matter.
    I am sure that if those in 'the disaster capitalist brigade' got an opportunity to rewind , they might view it from a different perspective, dont you think!

I'm going to use small words to try and explain this why this is the wrong attitude.

Every euro that is spent in the North is gone from the economy for ever.Every Euro spent down here goes around the economy, say for arguements sake 12 times per year, so in anual terms it is equivelant to 12 euros.

This results in minus 13 euro to our economy.

You say stand up and be counted? but by spending our wages in the North we our raping our own economy. This does not hurt the government, it hurts all of us. there is less money to go around. less for the dole, less for me, less for the PS wage bill etc, so the net result will be more cuts next year.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

pah wrote: »
    Had forgotten about that. There was a story a few months ago about a retailer or group of retailers near the border that had printed off leaflets encouraging people to shop local. They got the leaflets printed up north.:rolleyes:

Forgot about that. They were a past winner of the SIPTU Shotgun my foot off award :)

http://www.argus.ie/news/chamber-defends-leaflet-printing-1723251.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It transpired that both sides had a similar agenda in that both sides wanted to ensure that the 500 retail jobs which are under threat in Sligo are protected.
    I'd love to know how John Mc Carrick and the local Sligo branch of SIPTU thought this might be achieved by shopping in a diffferent country. Preferably explained using the laws of physics and economics of this universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd love to know how John Mc Carrick and the local Sligo branch of SIPTU thought this might be achieved by shopping in a diffferent country. Preferably explained using the laws of physics and economics of this universe.

Is psychology allowed? Think of the scene in Blazing Saddles: "One move and the ****** gets it."

More realistically, this looks to me like a climb-down with a desperate attempt at face-saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Well done Donegalfella,

IMHO, this thread and associated actions will have contributed to the change of heart by SIPTU. I hope and like to think that we are making a difference!:)

donegalfella reading between the lines of those responses it appears that Mr McCarrick got his ass handed to him by the local retailers and got the hairdryer treatment from head office. Still he has left the door open to further gaffs with "the capacity to either rebuild or destroy" comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Siptu just replied to my email from the other night when I asked them if the reports were true about the northern shopping bus service.

They replied with 2 press statements. make of them what you will.

Siptu Statement.

Speaking to shop stewards at a meeting in the SIPTU offices on Monday night John Mc Carrick while reporting on the recent suggestion that the public service workers might shop in the North of Ireland said

“I am delighted with the response which I have received to this suggestion especially from the Traders of Sligo town finally a group in the private sector have recognised that the answer to the current crises is not to be found in cutting wages in the public or private sector as this just leaves less for everyone.

The Fair deal traders are a new progressive, positive group with whom we believe that we can do business based on a fair deal for all.

This is the message that we have tried to bring to Government to IBEC and to ISMI and finally some group has had the good sense to listen to us we can only hope that the government will sit up and take notice together with the other groups.

We in the Trade Union Movement have the capacity to either rebuild or destroy which way we go depends on how and what we are met with, the Fair Trade Alliance between Trade Unionists and Traders has the potential to revolutionize the way we do business in Sligo and we for our part are delighted to be part of a movement which has the potential to save jobs ensure good terms and conditions of employment for workers and good value for shoppers who are themselves workers.”

We all want to be progressive we want to play our part in the recovery but any deal has to have fairness as its core principal and this is what we have discussed with the Fair Traders of Sligo Town.

We will now encourage all our members to support local jobs in our community where we expect this will be met with a favourable response by the Fair Deal Traders.

PRESS STATEMENT FROM THE FAIR DEAL ALLIANCE

Following from the statement made last week by SIPTU.

A meeting has taken place between representatives of the Trade Union Movement in Sligo and representatives of the Fair Dealers of Sligo Town.

At this meeting a frank exchange of views took place.

It transpired that both sides had a similar agenda in that both sides wanted to ensure that the 500 retail jobs which are under threat in Sligo are protected.

It was agreed that what is needed now is a co-ordinated campaign to ensure that the Fair Deal Alliance of Trade Unionists and Traders delivers, good jobs, good conditions of employment for workers and good service for the shoppers of Sligo and its environs.

This ground breaking alliance will continue to work to bring a fair deal to workers to shoppers and to Sligo.

Further initiatives will be launched through the Alliance in the weeks coming up to Christmas and in the months ahead.

For further details contact either Phelim O Neill on 0868386296 or John Mc Carrick on0876776811.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

clown bag wrote: »
    Siptu just replied to my email from the other night when I asked them if the reports were true about the northern shopping bus service.

They replied with 2 press statements. make of them what you will.

would it be wrong to put a forsale ad up on the net for a 4 year old BWW say an M3 for €990 ono using those mobile numbers?:eek:

Yep got my statements as well.

I love the way they make up snappy names for their u-turns "Fair Deal Alliance" LOL.

There must be a couple of SIPTU lads with broken necks given the speed of that u-turn :) (at this rate they could join FF!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I received the statements this afternoon.

When I started reading them I was initially thinking "so what?" because my original email concerned the Siptu organizers idea to go up North shopping, and the Siptu statements dont actually address this. The only sentence to kind of do so starts "John Mc Carrick while reporting on the recent suggestion that the public service workers might shop in the North of Ireland said" but then the selected quote doesnt say anything about it!

A classic political statement - designed to give the impression the issue is dealt with while not actually dealing with the issue at all.

The "we in the Trade Union Movement have the capacity to ... destroy" is fundamentally a product of social partnership. The Unions now feel they should get what they want through bullying because no one with power ever stood up and said "hang on." This has to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Incidentally, I was considering emailing Siptu saying that my issue hadn't been addressed. But you see if they had then replied there would be two Siptu emails in my account, and then they'd technically be organized. I use Gmail, and do you think there would be any chance Id be able to put those two Siptu emails in my archive folder? Not a hope! More likely the Siptu emails would start a campaign of tampering with my other emails, freezing my account, deleting my archive folder and eventually my email address itself.

When your dealing with Trade Unions you just cant take the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm really curious as to if the Phelim O Neill behind that Fair Deal Traders is the same Pheilim O Neill that was an ográ Fianna Fail hack in UCG during my time there... If so, it looks like the 'party faithful' are even sticking up to the unions these days (albeit in a different name).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I haven't recieved any replies from SIPTU. Maybe it was the "unparliamentary" language used in my e-mail.

Attn: John McCarrick, Sectoral Organizer, SIPTU, Sligo

Dear Mr McCarrick,

With regards to your halfwit plan of staging a "protest" by organising a bus to take union members from Sligo to Enniskillen to go shopping, f*ck you, Mr, Mc Carrick, f*ck you. If you had half a brain you would be dangerous.

Yours Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

We in the Trade Union Movement have the capacity to either rebuild or destroy
    Dangerous illusion
    They cannot rebuild anything, because unions cannot be efficient and they cannot destroy anything,
    all what TU can do is only create some problems for other people, nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

I got the same stock reply to my mail that the other posters did with the two press releases. Didnt answer the questions I asked, but didnt even expect a response to be honest.
    I reckon mr mckarrick is going to be sent on to share a room with Liam Doran in sabatical land, better known as 'dont even blink in future without sign off from the press office'

I find it repugnant that the unions feel they have the right to destroy the country. Their disgust at an elected government acting unilateraly is a sign of the power they percieved in the Bertie days.
    Thankfully Lenihan has grown a pair (certainly not Cowen) and has said enough is enough. He cant and wont back down now. And If its a case that FG come into power, I think we can expect them to ride the slipstream and further face down the unions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MI5

I got the same stock reply to my mail that the other posters did with the two press releases. Didnt answer the questions I asked, but didnt even expect a response to be honest.
    I reckon mr mckarrick is going to be sent on to share a room with Liam Doran in sabatical land, better known as 'dont even blink in future without sign off from the press office'

I find it repugnant that the unions feel they have the right to destroy the country. Their disgust at an elected government acting unilateraly is a sign of the power they percieved in the Bertie days.
    Thankfully Lenihan has grown a pair (certainly not Cowen) and has said enough is enough. He cant and wont back down now. And If its a case that FG come into power, I think we can expect them to ride the slipstream and further face down the unions

Speaking of Liam Doran. Where in fact is he? He has completely dissapeared since his back off rant. It's really weird. Is there a place where beards who have caused undue hardship and embarrasment to the seniorbeards, are taken to be reeducated? Should we get a "free the non bearded, bearded one" campaign off the ground. Maybe, Christy Moore would do a benefit concert to highlight this great mans plight at the hands of the senior beards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

computers/networks/electronics

is an ultimate example in economics of a product/service that deflates in price all the time while also getting exponentially better

the "deflation is bad because people put of purchases" argument falls on its face when it comes to above

something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    computers/networks/electronics

is an ultimate example in economics of a product/service that deflates in price all the time while also getting exponentially better

the "deflation is bad because people put of purchases" argument falls on its face when it comes to above

something to think about

Deflation in the PC market is carefully managed though with graphics cards and chips being released in batches of "top end, enthusiast, mid-range, budget" etc. Planned deflation is quite different to the kind of price cutting we've seen over the past 12 months here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Added to this- most of the products being sold these days are low power, low strength processors- the U-xxxx-S series from Intel along with its Atom family- now make up almost 55% of the total market. These are inferior to almost any main stream processor that was out 2-3 years ago, however they cost lots less, and consume less power. I can do 3D rendering on the fly on my 3 year old laptop- it takes almost 28 times longer to render an identical image on my wife's latest purchase.........

You might argue that only enthusiasts pay for performance- this is largely the case now- it usen't be this way though.

Advertisement