Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU organises "Shop North" protest

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

nesf wrote: »
    Deflation in the PC market is carefully managed though with graphics cards and chips being released in batches of "top end, enthusiast, mid-range, budget" etc. Planned deflation is quite different to the kind of price cutting we've seen over the past 12 months here.

hmm no

remember the AMD/Intel war where they were trying to out compete and outdo each other

no planning there, just producing better/faster chips as soon as possible

for a "planned deflation" to occur one needs to have a monopoly on market

how about the bandwidth market in US (note: not Ireland cause we have a bunch of lazy monopolies, and country is insignificant)
    severals of the backbone carriers are in a war to cut the per mbit cost of bandwidth, a situation where the costs half almost every year currently at 3-4 $ per mbit

no planning there, just cheaper prices as network hardware is upgraded (which gets a 10fold boost every few years) in order to undercut the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Replied to their reply yesterday.
    xxx,

Thanks for the sanitised and somewhat polished response but you haven't answered my
    original question.

"Can someone in Siptu please explain to me how this "protest" helps get
    us all out of the mess that we are in?"

The two documents you attached don't.

And as for the "We in the Trade Union Movement have the capacity to either rebuild or
    destroy which way we go depends on how and what we are met with" comments, can you
    elaborate on what exactly you mean by these please?

Regards,

Trust you lads to nerdify this discussion by getting into a line of thought about processor speeds LOL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 koplegend

I wonder do all the types who said the low paid public sector workers should pay for the sins of bankers, developers, politicians et al still believe this nonsense after seeing Prime Time last night.
    What a joke eh?
    If my ps union doe'nt propose serious disruption after that , I WILL BE PROPOSING A STRONG BRENDAN OGLE type character as my suggestion to get something done!
    Walk on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

koplegend wrote: »
    I wonder do all the types who said the low paid public sector workers should pay for the sins of bankers, developers, politicians et al still believe this nonsense after seeing Prime Time last night.
    What a joke eh?
    If my ps union doe'nt propose serious disruption after that , I WILL BE PROPOSING A STRONG BRENDAN OGLE type character as my suggestion to get something done!
    Walk on!!!
    Nobody said they should pay for any sins, the truth is that nobody in the public sector is low paid when their position is put on an equivalent level with 90% of those carrying out a similar job in the private sector, in fact, even down 5%, they're still overpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 koplegend

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nobody said they should pay for any sins, the truth is that nobody in the public sector is low paid when their position is put on an equivalent level with 90% of those carrying out a similar job in the private sector, in fact, even down 5%, they're still overpaid.

You're reverting to type once again.
    Lets get this straight. Whats needed here is that everyone on lower wages unite and fight the policymakers who deem that all those in that bracket cough up for their greed . I'ts quite simple.
    Do not be conned into letting them drive a wedge between public and private.
    As long as this type of propaganda prevails we, the less well off, will always pay.
    So please get it through your head, we are all on the same side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ninty9er wrote: »

Even the ESRI disagree with you.
    There are very many vastly overpaid in the public sector- however they tend to be in particular sectors- according to the ESRI the Education and the Health sectors. Certain parts of the civil service and the local authorities (notably and rather counter-intuitively the lower grades with purely admin functions) tend to attract a premium over their private sector equivalents, however it is not a trend that holds across the board.

Advertisement