Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Core Affinity (and turning off cores)

• 16-12-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I recently bought a new PC and wanted to play a few older games on it (e.g. the original Hitman). After clicking on "Start Game" on the main menu the game bombs out and I get a message saying "hitman.exe has stopped working". I've heard it's a issue with multiple-core processors and that setting the CPU to 1 core will allow these games to run.

I'm just wondering is it bad to run a quad-core processor on 1 core or does it matter (assuming I switch back to all cores running for normal games and operation)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Start up the game, open task manager, go to processes, find hitman.exe, right click and set affinity by deselecting all cores but one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing harmful about it, youll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

I ended up going into the BIOS and setting one core to run. It worked fine for Broken Sword: Angel Of Death (which I was also having trouble with). No good for Hitman I'm afraid. Is it possible that a PC can be too high specced for an old game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trevor O wrote: »
    I ended up going into the BIOS and setting one core to run. It worked fine for Broken Sword: Angel Of Death (which I was also having trouble with). No good for Hitman I'm afraid. Is it possible that a PC can be too high specced for an old game???
    blank_facepalm_224.gif

You just need to go into the Task Manager, Find the Process for the game (hitman.exe) and set its Affinity to One Core.

attachment.php?attachmentid=99232&stc=1&d=1261060271

What you just did was set your Entire Machine (ALL of your processes) to One Core. Thats like cutting off your left testicle. Why would you do such a thing?

But OK, it doesnt work.

Are you running 64-bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Overheal wrote: »
    blank_facepalm_224.gif

You just need to go into the Task Manager, Find the Process for the game (hitman.exe) and set its Affinity to One Core.

attachment.php?attachmentid=99232&stc=1&d=1261060271

What you just did was set your Entire Machine (ALL of your processes) to One Core. Thats like cutting off your left testicle. Why would you do such a thing?

But OK, it doesnt work.

Are you running 64-bit?

I'm running 64-bit Win 7.

Haha, yeah I know it's sets them all but I set them all back to normal again after. I set the affinity to one core using the task manager first for Broken Sword but it didn't work. That's why I set it in the BIOS. (Question, if you set the affinity using the Task Manager does it remember this setting the next time you run the program??).

I came across another thread earlier today which had a similar problem but for Hitman: Blood money and the solution given was:

1. Go to start menu and then right click on my computer and go to properties.
    2. on the lefthand side, click on advanced system settings
    3. at the top, click on the advanced tab
    4. under performance, click on the settings button.
    5. at the top, click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    6. select, Enable Data execution for all the programs and services except those i select.
    7 at the bottom click on Add, then go to /Eidos/Hitman Blood Money/hitmanbloodmoney.exe

Does this make sense?

• Advertisement
Advertisement