Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a banned Xbox affect the HDD?

• 16-12-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Just wondering, if an Xbox is banned, does it affect the HDD? Can that drive be reset and used in another xbox per say? Wanna try and get a cheap banned elite and upgrade my HDD, can I transfer my content over no bother?

Is there anything I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Good luck finding a banned console for sale with a 120gig hard drive. Anybody who knows about the banning in any sort of detail other than "I'm banned" knows that the hard drive itself is not touched. The console's ability to sign content (save games, profiles) is removed, so if you load a savegame or a profile it is no longer signed. And when you move the hard drive to another console it will refuse to read unsigned content, telling you it's corrupt.

So they would be better off selling a banned console on it's own, and then the hard drive seperately for 70 euro or so or just keeping it and getting a new arcade xbox and using their old hard drive.

Once you acquire another hard drive use a transfer kit (call Microsoft or ask for one around) to transfer over your old stuff from your 20 or 60gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tommylaws

With a banned console u will never be able to use a HDD on it again i.e not being able to save games and install games to any HDD attached to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

tommylaws wrote: »
    With a banned console u will never be able to use a HDD on it again i.e not being able to save games and install games to any HDD attached to it.

No, you're completely wrong.

Banned consoles can use hard drives just fine. You can create new profiles, create new save games, load old save games. The only thing you can't do is install games to the hard drive.

Anything you load/create on a hard drive while it's connected to a banned console won't work if you connect it to another console.

Remember, the only changes were to the console when it gone banned, the hard drive works, it has not been bricked or rendered inoperable.

These restrictions can be gotten around with a bit of solder, wire and some mad skills but that's a discussion for Console Modding.

Advertisement