Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting stuff delivered from the Net

• 16-12-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just a really quick question: Do any of you guys have a problem with getting internet deliveries to your house? I buy quite a bit off the net and because I'm not home during the day - any item that's too big to fit through the letter box ends up in the post office. And since the post office is only open during office hours it creates a major pain in the a$$ for me to go collect the item.

I have a idea at patent stage for a relatively cheap product to overcome the problem, but I'm interested to see if there is a genuine problem or if there are alternatives people are using.

Thanks a mill for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd love to see your answer to it, because nobody is going to trust a escrow service at its startup and somebody will screw it over early.

I get my deliveries to where I work. That being said EMS/An post is the only place I know that won't try to re-deliver(or deliver in some cases) or have the option of a pickup from the Depot on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 obriensh

Thanks Cuddlesworth,

Unfortunately I can't really divulge too much info, it's at the final stage of Patent so I'm not actually legally able to advertise it. But I can tell you that it will negate the need for an escrow service and it will allow secure delivery in the absense of the home owner.

Thanks a mill for taking your time to reply - hopefully you'll hear more about my product in the not too distant future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hey,

I spend a few ammount of money buying things online, and i have to say i never have a problem. If i know i will be home on the day of delivery then i have it sent there, if i will be in work i get it sent there instead. I have had a few issues of an post saying

" Hey we tried to deliver but no one was home " But i was clearly in the house. I'd be very interested to see what your plan is, can you go into any more information at all that wont give away anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Id be interested in this solution. Almost everything i buy from the net needs to be collected in the Post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I just get the larger stuff delivered to work or arrange to be at home. It depends on how good a tracking service the company provides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

90% of the time I have items delivered to work. Having said that, if something is delivered to home the postman usuually just leaves it in the porch (whether I'm there or not :D). Benefits of living in a village I suppose ;)

If you're getting stuff delivered to work, don't take the piss. A colleague at work once got four car tires delivered. The postroom staff were not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you're getting stuff delivered to work, don't take the piss. A colleague at work once got four car tires delivered. The postroom staff were not impressed.

Because he didn't get a spare?

Because he didn't get a spare?
    No, because they didn't come with a car attached. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Me personally it doesnt create a problem. I dont work 9-5 every day so alot of the time i dont have issues just going to the PO a few days later.

However those who work office hours and are not near the PO this would create a problem and there have been a few boards threads about the PO not being open after 5:30pm or the weekend.

Post office bitching thread 1

Post office bitching thread 2

Personally i think i would use this service even if i could collect it a few days later in the post office. Nothing worse then knowing something is there waiting for you but not being able to get it for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

obriensh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a really quick question: Do any of you guys have a problem with getting internet deliveries to your house? I buy quite a bit off the net and because I'm not home during the day - any item that's too big to fit through the letter box ends up in the post office. And since the post office is only open during office hours it creates a major pain in the a$$ for me to go collect the item.

I have a idea at patent stage for a relatively cheap product to overcome the problem, but I'm interested to see if there is a genuine problem or if there are alternatives people are using.

Thanks a mill for your time!

An Post just won't deliver anything bigger than my letter box to my Apt. They just leave a slip saying "we attempted delivery" blah blah, even when I know I was in. I have to drive to my post depot (2 miles drive). Theres a Post Office across the road from my place but they dont leave my packages there either. Bloody infuriating. Would be interested in any product which overcomes this.

Advertisement