Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best MOBILEPHONE gaming platfrom?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So i whant to get myself a new mobile phone, for me its very important that it would have good games...

So which mobile phone series would be best? iphone? Nokias symbian? Anything else? and why?

So far i am really into iphone, as it has really nice libary of games allready, thought all this touchscreen control pad really annoys me... havent tryed it yet, but it looks accuard. now i bumped into n900, and sow its potential! as this bounce evolution has unreal graphics! And it does have proper keyboard...

*I think mods wount mind this thread in here, as its not moustly about phones, but about games, doind same thread in mobiles & PDAs wount give me info i need. thx!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get a DS and glue a phone to the back of it. Otherwise it's the iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

IMO the best mobile games you can get are Gameboy games, Mario, Pokemon etc. running on emulators. These kind of games work best with a keyboard so IMO it's the n900!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

thats is the problem, i dont whant to have 2 devices in mine pocket. i allways carry mine phone allready, so why not to have a proper phone with games on it!

iphone games look stunning to be honest, and there is loads of them allready, and apple makes sure developers do games for iphone. On the ather side all this touchscreen thing is just annoying...

Where n900 looks prety solid, with a new GPU added! moust of emulaters are free anyway, and you dont need to jailbreak nokia to have atleast sms ringtone changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

iPhone, without a doubt.
    As long as you're not looking for "traditional" games, anyway -- all the on-screen d-pads I've tried have sucked.
    You have to try out NEW styles of gaming, and the iPhone's got plenty of those.

Or else, just get yourself a DS Lite.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    iPhone, without a doubt.
    As long as you're not looking for "traditional" games, anyway -- all the on-screen d-pads I've tried have sucked.
    You have to try out NEW styles of gaming, and the iPhone's got plenty of those.

Or else, just get yourself a DS Lite.

i kind of like iphone style games, but i dont think it is that comfortable, thought i hate iphones menus and styles, moust uncustomisable piece of equipment i ever seen...

I know Ds would be cheapest option, but like i said, having 2 devices is crap, allready got psp which collects dust...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The DS is a much better machine though.

Anyway I'll bring up Kikis point again and say you should go for the iphone specific games. Anything traditional just doesn't work. Stuff like Dance Dance Revolution, space invaders infinity gene and Rolando are what you should be getting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

get a DS. phone games suck balls

Jazzy wrote: »
    get a DS. phone games suck balls

ech....i was looking for a phone in first place... so buying a ds now would be like... going to buy a car, and come back with a ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

As stated before. Iphone games that are just ports or trying to be like traditional games usually don't work on the iphone. But games that focus on the device's strengths are usually good.

Eliss is one of the best examples of this. Check out the gameplay video on its site:

http://www.toucheliss.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

As stated before. Iphone games that are just ports or trying to be like traditional games usually don't work on the iphone. But games that focus on the device's strengths are usually good.

Eliss is one of the best examples of this. Check out the gameplay video on its site:

http://www.toucheliss.com/

that reminds me of electroplankton for the DS. Looks good.

Mr AAHH is one of the best games on iPhone. So simple but so great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Symbian Platform is the best. Most of the newer N Series phones have dedicated GPUs as well, so games look pretty good when they support them. Besides, symbian has countless emulators out there for any console you can think of, plus plenty of excellent quality symbian native games, like Brothers in Arms, Doom, Duke3d, and stuff like that. Power wise, it would be between the GBA and DS, with some of the games that are designed to use the dedicated GPU being more DS comparable....some of the higher end N-Series are capable of rendering Quake III Arena pretty smoothly. I played quite a lot of Streets of Rage, Sonic, Doom 2, Quake II etc on my N90 when I was on a long haul flight, great fun.

Other than that, most phones are pretty crap for games, supporting java only....though some of them are okay, think megadrive quality in terms of visuals, gameloft make some pretty good ones. You can play games on any phone....but for serious gaming, it would have to be either the iphone or symbian platform, though symbian ideally in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The DS is a much better machine though.

Anyway I'll bring up Kikis point again and say you should go for the iphone specific games. Anything traditional just doesn't work. Stuff like Dance Dance Revolution, space invaders infinity gene and Rolando are what you should be getting.

And ice cream tastes better than pizza. They're not two things that are particularly comparable. They are different machines dealing with largely different markets, delivery methods and ideals for what styles of games work best on each.

Which is what you started to allude to in the second paragraph, but that just makes the first comment more bizarre. The avenue is two-way - Labyrinth 2 would be even less fun on the DS than wrestling with hap-hazard virtual analogue controls is on the iPhone OS, for example. To answer the root question, there is no such thing as an all-purpose device.

To the OP: the iPhone OS (because a silent majority of owners are iPod Touch users, not iPhone users) is clearly now as valid a handheld platform as the DS or the PSP and it would be remiss for me not to rail against the pigeon-holing of it as a 'mobile' platform which is something that has a very loaded meaning to long-term gamers. The N-Gage? Every Java-based mobile phone gaming initiative ever? The invariably futile attempts to play a game with a number pad? Mobile gaming is something that has been rightly sneered at for years so it's use with regards to the iPhone OS is neither fully correct or beneficial to an openness to the platform for the more stuck in the mud among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

n-gage qd.

best EVAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Get a current Sony Ericsson, their the fastest for Java games.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CombatCow wrote: »
    Get a current Sony Ericsson, their the fastest for Java games.

CC

...but java games are pretty poor compared to iPhone or Symbian games...for example, Gameloft make Assassins Creed Java, as well as tons of other licensed Java games, but they also make Assassins Creed 3D for Symbian platform, and 3d versions of many other java games, such as Brothers in Arms, Asphalt, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

ech....i was looking for a phone in first place... so buying a ds now would be like... going to buy a car, and come back with a ship...

Sounds like a result to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

...but java games are pretty poor compared to iPhone or Symbian games...for example, Gameloft make Assassins Creed Java, as well as tons of other licensed Java games, but they also make Assassins Creed 3D for Symbian platform, and 3d versions of many other java games, such as Brothers in Arms, Asphalt, etc..

This.

And here is some vids of my recommendations for iphone.

well lads, i did go to cork on sunday, and i got myself an iphone, and i cantell you, this is THE BEST PURCHASE I DID THIS YEAR! It even wins agains mine mazda mx5 :D!

Allready spended 10eu on games! Games are just amazing!!! And i got a list for around 20eu more to buy! Mine misses will kill me!!!

Played erathworm jim, graphic are just stunning! and so smooth! controls are really nob bad after you get used to them, i was hoping it to be alot alot alot alot worse!

got NOVA aswell, and that things rocks! Even when i am really anty halo style stuff! :D

Who said games on mobile phone sucks? Its freaking not!

And i have to agree if i had ipod+phone, then it would be useless, but when i have iphone, which is one device in pocket, its AMAZING!!!

P.s. I love mine misses for making me such a great xmas present!!! ./love!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

iPhone rocks alright. Fav games

1. Stone Loops
    2. Dungeon Hunter
    3. Super Monkey Ball
    4. Geared
    5. Worms
    6. Real Racing
    7. F.A.S.T. (although playing this on the train makes you look like a retard)
    8. Real Racing
    9. Modern Combat Sandstorm
    10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour

sink wrote: »
    iPhone rocks alright. Fav games

1. Stone Loops
    2. Dungeon Hunter
    3. Super Monkey Ball
    4. Geared
    5. Worms
    6. Real Racing
    7. F.A.S.T. (although playing this on the train makes you look like a retard)
    8. Real Racing
    9. Modern Combat Sandstorm
    10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour

hows the dungoen hunter bud? I whana get it aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

hows the dungoen hunter bud? I whana get it aswell!

It's pretty good, reminiscent of Diablo. Only got it yesterday and have played it for about 2 hours on the commute and still entertained.

sink wrote: »
    It's pretty good, reminiscent of Diablo. Only got it yesterday and have played it for about 2 hours on the commute and still entertained.
    damn mine list is going bigger and bigger :D

got:

NoVA
    CW-gunner

To get:

Half of appstore :D

small update:

i got: ps3.psp, xbox360, pc all with latest best games, and i spend 90% of time playing on iphone... i am not kidding...

Allready spended 14eu on games, knowing that they moustly are free or 2eu, i think its alot :D. and i got even bigger list of games to get...

Its so adictive, i think this battle is won by iphone by far... controls are not perfect, but when you get used to it, its really not that bad!

and yeah happy xmas ;)

Advertisement