Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a gun abroad.

Options
  • 16-12-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Iv been offered a rifle from Poland. Its for good money. What would be the ins and outs of bringing it here? Much Hardship? Obviously if its too much hardship i wont bother. Any info on buying a gun abroad would be helpful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

If you are caught with it you are in serious ****, what do you want a gun for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

4leto wrote: »

Il keep it in my pocket:rolleyes:
    Im looking for the legal things i have to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

4leto wrote: »
    :D:D

It is the shooting forum BTW lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

It's not much more involved than getting one here. You need to get a firearms cert for it then follow the importation procedures on www.justice.ie:
    Individuals importing from a member state of the EU:

1. Read these instructions carefully before submitting your application.
    2. Complete the application form (MS Word - 52KB) fully
    3. Make sure you have filled in:
      (a) the exact make and model of the firearm
      (b) the correct category A-D (PDF - 17KB)
    4. Attach to the application a copy of the valid firearms certificate for the firearm or ammunition to be imported.
    5. For firearms listed as category B (PDF - 17KB) you will need to obtain a document entitled an Article 7. This is issued by a superintendent of An Garda Síochána. A copy will have to be sent to us with your application to import the firearms.
    6. You can fill in the form using type or in handwriting. If completing it in handwriting please use black ink and block capitals.
    7. Forward the documentation to the Crime 4 Division of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. We will issue a transfer document to you which you can use to legally import the firearms and/or ammunition.

Thanks BTK,
    Very helpful. Its only a thought at the mo. AFAIK its a deer shooting calibre and dont want that but the lad im talking to isnt sure so will find out soon.
    Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I bought a gun in the UK. Takes a good bit of time unless the dealer has an export licence already (I had to send it to the north as mine didn't have the licence to send it straight here). Might be worth your while though. Having vague thoughts about another rifle from there in the future that I've seen for sale for well over a year now. If it's still there in another while when I'm planning on buying a bigger gun, it might find a home in my safe. Lefty 7mm Rem Mag probably isn't going anywhere in a hurry! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I bought a gun in the UK. Takes a good bit of time unless the dealer has an export licence already (I had to send it to the north as mine didn't have the licence to send it straight here). Might be worth your while though. Having vague thoughts about another rifle from there in the future that I've seen for sale for well over a year now. If it's still there in another while when I'm planning on buying a bigger gun, it might find a home in my safe. Lefty 7mm Rem Mag probably isn't going anywhere in a hurry! :D

I'm currently buying a rifle from up North, how long were you waiting?

murph226 wrote: »
    I'm currently buying a rifle from up North, how long were you waiting?

Put a deposit on it in June, was told to wait until the new forms were out to apply, put in my application on the 12th of August, got it the 11th November, applied for the Article 7, got that fairly sharpish. Faxed off the article 7 there last week, will take a few weeks to clear (been told a few things ranging from a week or two to best part of a month - we'll see), then I can go collect it with an updated Europass. Buying direct from the north now would be simpler.

I would be gettin it private off a ranger over there. Would it matter time wise weather its a dealer or private??
    Thanks

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I would be gettin it private off a ranger over there. Would it matter time wise weather its a dealer or private??
    Thanks

To be honest, I haven't a notion. There are only a few couriers that will take them. TNT took mine to the north for £45 I think it was, probably wouldn't be much more to here. Paperwork will be the biggest hitch. My recommendation would be to get it done through firearms dealers here and there, with the English one having the relevant export paperwork to send it direct. You'll save a load of heartache. If that rifle is still there when the time comes, I'll be tempted, but it'll be done through dealers and the fastest way possible. Getting my latest was a good bit of extra hassle. Next time, I'd buy domestic or do it the way I've said there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Iv been offered a rifle from Poland. Its for good money. What would be the ins and outs of bringing it here? Much Hardship? Obviously if its too much hardship i wont bother. Any info on buying a gun abroad would be helpful

Hi Dusty , I got a rifle imported for me by a dealer here, picked the Gun in Scotland had all relevent info sent to Dealer here , he looked after paperwork, I paid for gun (much cheaper than here)and transport direct £38 to dealer.
    the dealer here applied for all import docs etc on sept 20th and gun arrived on 2 Nov, and there was a delay in dispatch because scottish dealer was on hols.
    overall about 5 weeks , painless , got the model of Rifle I wanted, new, cheaper, all for the fee of €50 . :)
    Bang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

What about all the poor ould dealers here, would you not make an effort and try supporting them, so what if they overcharge you by a few hundred, man there goin through tough times now, they need your money.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

bang, could you send me your dealers details. i've been quoted 150.00 to get one brought in. your experience sounds a hell of a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

thedragon wrote: »
    What about all the poor ould dealers here, would you not make an effort and try supporting them, so what if they overcharge you by a few hundred, man there goin through tough times now, they need your money.:D:D

Rang as many dealers in Ireland that I had numbers for and physically called into 10, the response ranged from don't do that model to a few a few phone calls back with the same answer.
    In my opinion thats not trying hard enough, they lost out, I got it cheaper so **** them;)
    Need to get off your arse to make a sale in this current climate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

I have arranged to have a shotgun which I used in the UK shipped from a UK Dealer to an Irish Dealer. All the paperwork is in order but the UK Dealer cannot find a courier firm to transport the gun to Ireland. TNT will only deliver to NI. Does anyone know of a courier firm that will ship UK to Southern Ireland?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have arranged to have a shotgun which I used in the UK shipped from a UK Dealer to an Irish Dealer. All the paperwork is in order but the UK Dealer cannot find a courier firm to transport the gun to Ireland. TNT will only deliver to NI. Does anyone know of a courier firm that will ship UK to Southern Ireland?

Thanks.

Surely one of the two dealers should have a contact Paddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Thanks.

I had this problem a couple of years ago, was quoted crazy money for delivery. In the end I flew over and the dealer delivered me and my rifles to the check in desk at the airport. Flew Aer Lingus with no problems either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I had this problem a couple of years ago, was quoted crazy money for delivery. In the end I flew over and the dealer delivered me and my rifles to the check in desk at the airport. Flew Aer Lingus with no problems either end.

your actually saying you got through airport security,bag scan and flew from uk to ireland with rifles in your bag! how long ago was that . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can't do that anymore, the dealer has to use a courier to deliver the guns, something to do with the small arms legislation.
    I wanted to do the same but in the end had to fork out stg 200 for the courier.
    Britain is not a great place to deal with regarding firearms, better to go to Germany IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

mossfort wrote: »
    your actually saying you got through airport security,bag scan and flew from uk to ireland with rifles in your bag! how long ago was that . :eek:

You can do it tomorrow if you want. Let Aer Lingus know you'll have a firearm in your luggage in a locked case, have your paperwork with you and pay a reasonable charge for the favour. How do you think target shooters for example travel to competitions on the continent ?

• Advertisement

You can do it tomorrow if you want. Let Aer Lingus know you'll have a firearm in your luggage in a locked case, have your paperwork with you and pay a reasonable charge for the favour. How do you think target shooters for example travel to competitions on the continent ?

I know you can travel with your firearms via air, I mean that if you buy a firearm in the UK, you can no longer travel over and pick it up and come back with it.
    I had my Art. 7 and the License but the dealer could not clear it from his books without it being transferred by a licensed courier to Ireland first.
    Something to do with end user certs or some such rubbish.
    As if I had a load of AK's to pick up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Huh ? I thought end user certificates only applied to military type hardware, be it machineguns, missiles, assault rifles, imaging technology etc and even then they're not worth the paper they're printed on as a quite often countries that were listed on end user certificates have shifted stuff on on the qt.

Huh ? I thought end user certificates only applied to military type hardware, be it machineguns, missiles, assault rifles, imaging technology etc and even then they're not worth the paper they're printed on as a quite often countries that were listed on end user certificates have shifted stuff on on the qt.

You know that, I know that and the dogs on the street know that, try arguing the point with some snot-nosed beaureaucrat in the UK.
    And try getting your gun out without it.
    I could have just struck a bad one on a bad day but the way laws are enforced with regard to Firearms is not lackadaisical.
    The EU firearms directive was meant to allow free passage of sporting firearms in the EU instead it has created a whole mess for the sporting shooter.

Advertisement