Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re working six day weeks.(minimum wage)

Options
  • 16-12-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My employer wants us to work six days a week for jan feb and mar. He has been getting us to do it for the past 4 years.
    Trouble is that since I have taken a paycut I am now on minimum wage. My wages are quoted in the form of yearly salary.
    We won't be getting any extra money for working the extra day. So does this mean that for the amount of hours I work i will be
    effectively getting paid below minimum wage. Is this legal. Can i refuse to do the extra day for no extra money. If anyone can
    advise me it would be much appreciated.

Also there is an opportunity to earn extra money in the form of commission if that makes a difference.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd be telling him that I was very keen to do it, but worried for him that the tax records for the period will show he's paying less than minimum wage and that the company could get into trouble. Maybe even make up a story about a friend who this happened to.

(IMHO it's outrageous that he's asking you to do this. But in the current climate, what can ya do.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sector are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Private sector. Motor industry.

Advertisement