Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand dead if you show to another player?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 8:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭

I've been hearing this one do the rounds a bit lately and wondered if this has become the norm.

Here's my take on it. If you show your hand to anybody in the room then the maximum punishment is that you have to show your hand to the table if some-one requests to see it, i.e. Show one show all.

Pure angleshooting IMHO by people with second best hands wanting to get their hands on the pot.

Comments welcomed,
    C :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If it's a case of enforcing the one player to a hand rule then I don't think killing the hand is an extreme penalty for a persistant offender. 1st time to call the floor... warning (this may not be the first time as I would expect the dealer to have reminded the player of the one player to a hand rule before needing to call the floor).

The show one show all concept should possibly apply at the end of a hand, however as long as a live hand is not shown to another player with a live hand it doesnt apply mid hand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

bp_me wrote: »
    If it's a case of enforcing the one player to a hand rule

What is this rule in relation to?
    I mean what are it's paramiters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The TDA say
    41. No Disclosure
    Players are obligated to protect the other players in the tournament at all times. Therefore, players, whether in the hand or not, may not:
    1. Disclose contents of live or folded hands,
    2. Advise or criticize play at any time,
    3. Read a hand that hasn't been tabled.
    The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be enforced.

And Robert's Rules (11) says
    1. Only one person may play a hand.

Also, under the etiquette section
    The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:

Reading a hand for another player at the showdown before it has been placed faceup on the table.

The "one player to a hand" rule doesnt appear to be defined more than that so I would take it at face value (Does the concept really need further definition).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I agree that the maximum penalty should be the 'show one, show all' rule at the end of the hand.

Showing a hand to a non-live player/observer in the middle of a hand should not get your hand killed. The only person that is losing anything from it is the player who reveals the hand!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

The crux of the question comes down to this rule here imho-
    41. No Disclosure
    Players are obligated to protect the other players in the tournament at all times. Therefore, players, whether in the hand or not, may not:
    1. Disclose contents of live or folded hands,

The rest of the rules above are talking about advice or directly interfering with someones hand.

Does this rule really mean your hand is dead if you show your neighbour your cards? Can it be proven that you showed the hand to your neighbour? He could've peeked at it (totally open to angle shooting). What about people who play with their hand in front of them like a book for everyone to see? We had an old man play with us exactly like this. The 2 seats next to him could see his cards just by moving their eyes. He was told repetedly by staff to protect his hand, but didn't care lol.

Should there be a warning for players who don't comply, then kill their hand? Or should we just let it slide and enforce show one show all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭dream.

"Players are obliged to protect all players in the tournament"

If this section of the rules was athered to then all the rest would work out just fine.We d have warnings for players who breach the letter of the law while respecting the intention of the rules which is to protect the best hand in all situtations assuming the opening position is maintained .

Advertisement