Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange hdd behaviour

Options
  • 16-12-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I added a ssd ~2 weeks ago at this stage, running win7 x64 and nov 31st firmware from intel.

I've 2*samsung f3s, and 2*WDs (750+500) all sata.

I enabled AHCI in win7 and via the bios for the ssd speed boost and all was running fine.

Until today :|

I was getting some weird artifacts on screen while browsing, hard to explain exactly cos it happened this morning, so I restarted and then the pc wouldn't boot - couldn't find a bootable drive :/

I couldn't access the bios either, it would hang on "entering setup"

I left the box off for about an hour and then on power-on it booted.

- this time my 2 WD drives were missing.

Powered off and checked cabling - booted again and WD drives were back.

Then this evening about 2 hours ago - my WD drives started to disappear from My Computer - I could hear the lil sound of a new device been connected/disconnected and yup, my WD drives were gone.

compmgmt.msc froze when trying to rescan my drives, then I got a dialog box telling me I need for format G & H before I can use them :/

then another sound and one of my sammys disconnected.

I rebooted and back to no boot device.

so I pulled the plug and ripped the innards of it.

removed the 2 hdd cages, all the sata cables and the power cables.

reseated the sata cables in diff positions and did some cable management with them and the power cables. (hence the pics in the sticky thread)

anyway, right now she's back up and running again, all 5 hdds showing and accessible.

but it happened twice today already so has any of you gurus any ideas?

after the first time it was fine for about 6 hours.

i'm trying to cover things in case it happens again - I grow weary of cracking it open for today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I had something simulair and it was one of the hd packing in. Just unplug the two WD drives and see if it is over. mine came up and disapeared on me with the other drive aswell, but it was only 1 that broke finally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the poxy thing is my games are on one of those cos the f3s are only 5400rpm for media files etc.

is there a decent sw package that will check a hdd for problems?

**** it anyway, I wont be able to get a new hdd till after christmas as it is

Advertisement