Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry cycle, Saturday July 3rd 2010

• 16-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the date for this?

[mod note: added date to thread title]

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's usually the first Saturday in July I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

That right - if they change it they'll be bucking more that 25yrs of tradition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was hoping ye wouldn't say that! People getting married can be so inconsiderate. Was great spin last year will be a shame to miss it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SunshineCyclist

You should pick another day and do it with a group of friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What? The wedding?...

• Advertisement

We had a few that couldn't do it on the day and like that did it the following weekend (and nice and casual for themselves with food/beer stops along the way!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Was hoping ye wouldn't say that! People getting married can be so inconsiderate. Was great spin last year will be a shame to miss it.:mad:
    Funny you should that because I'm sure I saw a bride in her dress taking part in this years ROK:confused:, but then again it was near the end and I was dehydrating/hallucinating a bit:)

Anyone know the date for this?

The date has been set as Saturday July 3rd for this.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

vektarman wrote: »
    The date has been set as Saturday July 3rd for this.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

I think I'll do this again, I hate doing a sportive and leaving with bad memories (not the off-the-bike stuff, that was good!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I won't be doing it this year, which is a pity because I really loved it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think I'll do this again, I hate doing a sportive and leaving with bad memories (not the off-the-bike stuff, that was good!).

What happened to you? All I remember from that weekend is

Pub
    Nightclub
    ?????
    Miss Kerry
    ?????
    Pub
    Nightclub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

One of those ???? involved you and me riding in pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

el tonto wrote: »
    What happened to you? All I remember from that weekend is

Pub
    Nightclub
    ?????
    Miss Kerry
    ?????
    Pub
    Nightclub

You would not be only one in that position

Online registrations are now open for this.

www.ringofkerrycycle.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Hey all!

Really looking forward to doing the ring of kerry this year.

Was just wondering though from people who took part last year, what time would you be expecting to complete this in...just so i have a distance/time to be aiming for during summer training?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

murf85 wrote: »
    Hey all!

Really looking forward to doing the ring of kerry this year.

Was just wondering though from people who took part last year, what time would you be expecting to complete this in...just so i have a distance/time to be aiming for during summer training?

Cheers
    Depends.
    Did it twice.
    Year 1. 8hrs
    Year 2. 6h15M
    Difference. Fitter and rode in a bunch.
    Aim sub 6 no stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

hi there, Is this event still on? Have been trying to access their site but without success. Have not done this before but would am looking forward to it.

apologies, patience is a virtue. Got on the site, I guess it was down to volume of traffic with the registration opening today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Got my sponsorship card and number today.

They've moved the start (again) to the race course. Staggered start from 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

You'll be fine as 2-3 in your group. It could well be safer than the insanity of the riders and drivers on the ROK cycle! Maybe why they're introducing a staggered start.

• Advertisement

lescol wrote: »
    You'll be fine as 2-3 in your group. It could well be safer than the insanity of the riders and drivers on the ROK cycle! Maybe why they're introducing a staggered start.

There was a staggered start last year too. And even before last year (2008 was the first year I did it), I saw some cyclists setting off at 6am.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging an entry fee from next year.

I've done the ROK every year since 2000. The "official" start was always around 8.00 following a little talk by politician/bishop, however, there were always a lot of cyclists on the road before then, if you talked to them they would say they'd set off early because they were slow and didn't want to be back too late.

penexpers wrote: »
    There was a staggered start last year too. And even before last year (2008 was the first year I did it), I saw some cyclists setting off at 6am.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging an entry fee from next year.

That would be a retrograde step. The simple chaotic beauty of the ROK is that it genuinely is a community event where lots of folk make sandwiches etc to come out a cheer you on.

Most events attract bike nuts and so does the ROK however it also attracts folk who want to raise funds for a charity and use the event as their vehicle. While having all sorts of people on the road can and does cause mayhem the greater good should be balanced against this. In 2008 the ROK got me back on the bike and has been one of the best things I have done. I discovered how much I loved cycling. I was fat and unfit. I raised 12k for Kerry Down Syndrome and had a great day.
    It is a great event and to charge for it when so many folks put in such a huge effort on and off the bike would be a shame and would detract from what it is actually about.

However it should be better marshalled with less experienced cyclist being helped to enjoy their tough day safely.

ROK ON wrote: »
    That would be a retrograde step.

I agree with this but the problem is there's too many freeloaders. A lot of people either don't bother registering or register and pay no sponsorship money or even worse get sponsored for it for a completely different charity to the one that It's always been run with the organisers trusting people not to abuse their system, but I think as it has gotten bigger more and more people have abused the system.

Anyone here planning to do this? I'm 90% sure that I will be doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

great fun last year, but probably out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Yep - I will be doing it. Got my pack already and everything and booked accomodation. Can't wait already :)

I'll be there, always look forward to the ROK.

I hope to be doing it, I cycle these roads ob my own a lot. It is great to do it with such a huge gang of people on the roads.
    My worry is road conditions.
    Sneem to Blackwater bridge road is in ribbobs. While the hairpins from Galweys bridge (after Ladies View) to the tunnel at the bottom is as dangerous an N-Road as I have ever seen. The descent could be an interesting experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I hope to be doing it, I cycle these roads ob my own a lot. It is great to do it with such a huge gang of people on the roads.
    Sneem to Blackwater bridge road is in ribbobs. While the hairpins from Galweys bridge (after Ladies View) to the tunnel at the bottom is as dangerous an N-Road as I have ever seen. The descent could be an interesting experience.

Same as myself. I have front shocks and last weekend I was grateful I hadn't swapped it for a (no suspension) road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I will be doing it - starting from Kenmare at 6:30 or so.

damoz wrote: »
    I will be doing it - starting from Kenmare at 6:30 or so.

Can I be nosy and ask your reason for Kenmare start. I start ther but makes sense as I live there. Usually a gang of 300 or so start from the town. So you will have plenty of company even at that time.

Missing it this year for the first time in a few years as I'll be abroad. I always enjoy this one. Nice roads, beauty queens at food stops and shots of sambuca in Mustang Sallys. What's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I'm torn between the ROK and a crit that is on Blarney that evening and road Race on Sunday the dilemma of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭rash

Think I heard on Radio Kerry today that the Sneem to Kenmare road is closed for resurfacing between Sneem and Blackwater Bridge.... so that should be one less thing to worry about

• Advertisement

I'm torn between the ROK and a crit that is on Blarney that evening and road Race on Sunday the dilemma of it all.

If you do them all you will have your very own Criterium International.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Can I be nosy and ask your reason for Kenmare start. I start ther but makes sense as I live there. Usually a gang of 300 or so start from the town. So you will have plenty of company even at that time.

Staying in Kenmare for the week - a staycation. Will definitely be 3 of us strarting from there... so if theres 300 more even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

If you do them all you will have your very own Criterium International.

now your talking interesting could be a sugar filled day

I'm number 007 for this, mmm... sounds vaguely familiar..

Haven't booked accomodation yet. Some of the prices of the hotels are shocking - still stuck in 2007.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    Haven't booked accomodation yet. Some of the prices of the hotels are shocking - still stuck in 2007.

Would you try a b&b, given that so much commentary suggests that b&bs are struggling vis a vis hotels.
    Staying a little bit outside Killarney may help.

Have heard Killarney is still in denial about the whole recession thing alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    Missing it this year for the first time in a few years as I'll be abroad. I always enjoy this one. Nice roads, beauty queens at food stops and shots of sambuca in Mustang Sallys. What's not to like?

Nooooooooo!

And yes, Killarney was shockingly pricey last year, but what fun!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have a deal done with a 4 star hotel in Killarney, €139pps 2 night bed & breakfast and 1 evening meal, I think there are a couple of rooms left for me, we've taken about 10 room so far. I'll comfirm tomorrow, feel free to pm me if you would like to take a room.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I have a deal done with a 4 star hotel in Killarney, €139pps 2 night bed & breakfast and 1 evening meal, I think there are a couple of rooms left for me, we've taken about 10 room so far. I'll comfirm tomorrow, feel free to pm me if you would like to take a room.

Thanks for that. Only looking to stay one night (Friday). Have to get back home for work on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am looking only for Friday as well!

I found a couple of B&Bs which do 30-35 for a single room, not bad.

For anyone interested I found these to be the cheapest for single room:

http://www.hiltonheightsbnb.com/
    http://www.sikalodge.com/
    http://www.nashvillekillarney.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

vektarman wrote: »
    I'm number 007 for this, mmm... sounds vaguely familiar..

No Mr Bond ... I expect you to ride ...

You 're riding with that?

roberts%20aston%20martin%20bike.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has anyone got a link to the exact route for this, Ive found one on mapmyride, however it seems to be a little shorter that the 112 mile stated on the website

• Advertisement
Advertisement