Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry cycle, Saturday July 3rd 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Hi Guys, just a couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to sign on for this on the day?

How much does it cost to enter?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Repolho wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just a couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to sign on for this on the day?

How much does it cost to enter?

Thanks.

You can sign on up to 7:45 on the morning I believe. It's a charity ride so you'll be given a sponsorship card and you can donate whatever you think is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Now that the whole M8 is open, I suspect it's a better choice to go from there instead of going through Limerick, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Best of luck to my big brother (and all the guys and gals on here!) doing this tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Absolutely !

Actually you could stay on the motorway until Cork ( providing its not rush hour ! ), instead of going Mitchelstown/Mallow/Killarney, and go through the Jack Lynch tunnel, around the ring road and take the N22 to Macroom - Killarney.

That way you avoid that SH!TE road between Mitchelstown & Mallow.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Now that the whole M8 is open, I suspect it's a better choice to go from there instead of going through Limerick, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

So what time are people planning on starting? 4 of us are hoping to get away for about 7...hopefully pick up a few more stragglers at the start like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

murf85 wrote: »
    So what time are people planning on starting? 4 of us are hoping to get away for about half 7...hopefully pick up a few more stragglers at the start like

Are we not leaving at 5 and getting on the road for 6.30?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

murf85 wrote: »
    So what time are people planning on starting? 4 of us are hoping to get away for about half 7...hopefully pick up a few more stragglers at the start like

Hopefully 6:30 in Kenmare - breakfast and logistics dependant. Need to register, so that should drive us onto Killarney by 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Am I corerect in assuming that there will be no shower facilities etc at the finish line of this? I know its not likely/not feaible with 3500 participants etc etc but said I'd ask anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Cant imagine shower facilities at the finish,and by all accounts there will be over 5000 bikes on the road.

Just reminding you all that any of you who want to join a group,then look out for Sportif Waterford CC at 7am in Killarney. We expect to have 2 groups on the road. Group 1 will average about 27-28k and group 2 slightly slower at about 25-26k. Youll have no problem finding us in our blue/white Waterford gear.Good luck to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

I got a lift btw!

also I will look out for you Waterford guys, I'm actually from Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Best of luck maintaining 28 kmph in a group with 5000 + riders in the way :D

Muckers wrote: »
    Cant imagine shower facilities at the finish,and by all accounts there will be over 5000 bikes on the road.

Just reminding you all that any of you who want to join a group,then look out for Sportif Waterford CC at 7am in Killarney. We expect to have 2 groups on the road. Group 1 will average about 27-28k and group 2 slightly slower at about 25-26k. Youll have no problem finding us in our blue/white Waterford gear.Good luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From my own experience of the ROK last year, the biggest hazard is people doing extraordinarily stupid things in front of you, like dropping something, slamming the brakes on and doing a u-turn to pick it up.

They wouldn't do it in a car in heavy traffic, but for some reason when they get on their bike the "ROK brain" goes into action and sanity goes out of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Doing this tomorrow. Really looking forward to It.
    Have a feeling that my self n the buddy will be passed out all day lol. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Waiting for the wife to get home so we can collect the kids from the creche and ROK here we come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johndylan

Coming out of Sive last year my buddy and I were chased by a pair of psychotic rats...nipping at the tyres and whatnot. We'll be ready for them this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I still go via Limerick when going to Killarney. Got down to Beaufort (10k west of Killarney) from Dublin 15 (N3/M50/N7) in 3h40m last night without any speeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Waiting for the wife to get home so we can collect the kids from the creche and ROK here we come.

I really hope the image of people cycling with baby carriers will be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was out for a cycle this morning, and I passed a truck from Kerry CoCo, spreading gravel and tar on some bad sections of road heading to the tunnel in the Killarney National park.

The gravel is the loose chip type. So folks given that it is likely to be wet, be careful on the descent from Ladies View tomorrow. There maybe loose gravel across the road.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    I was out for a cycle this morning...
    There has been quite a number of showers here in Beaufort today, with some of them reasonably heavy and the others an annoyingly light rain.

IIRC two years ago it rained a lot on the Friday and the clouds were empty on the Saturday. Hopefully we see a bit of the same this year.

I was out for a cycle this morning, and I passed a truck from Kerry CoCo, spreading gravel and tar on some bad sections of road heading to the tunnel in the Killarney National park.

The gravel is the loose chip type. So folks given that it is likely to be wet, be careful on the descent from Ladies View tomorrow. There maybe loose gravel across the road.

I'll be selling tubes at a tidy profit then ;)

daymobrew wrote: »
    There has been quite a number of showers here in Beaufort today, with some of them reasonably heavy and the others an annoyingly light rain.

IIRC two years ago it rained a lot on the Friday and the clouds were empty on the Saturday. Hopefully we see a bit of the same this year.

Correct. Friday last year and the year before were veru very bad. Hopefully tomorrow will be reasonable. Rain is fine, but I did 4hours this morning, with the last 2 into a headwind. Wrecked after it. I can take a drenching, but the wind is just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I done the Cork to Galway bike run. and signed up for the Ring of Kerry. But now cant go the wife wants at me at home for a lest one weekend joys of being Married.

But still trying to work my way around her. So if i am left go, ill be up for the Group. i was planning of leaving home at about 3.30 get their in 1hr and sleep in Car for 1hr and start at 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Just landed in Kenmare and it's alternately overcast and sunny, with variable showers.

More importantly, it's blowing a gale, there'll be a bit of a headwind on the way out methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Anyone got any suggestions for a post ride pint or two (hundred)? Also looking for a good mid-range priced eatery? And lastly, does killarney have an indie disco?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Stay away from the Danny man its gone way way down! theirs a pub right next to Burger King on the Main Street they do a great pint but not as cheap as else where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Anyone got any suggestions for a post ride pint or two (hundred)? Also looking for a good mid-range priced eatery? And lastly, does killarney have an indie disco?

For pints the Gleneagle Bar after the cycle would be good for one or two after a shower, in town Scotts has reduced rates on food for participants or just a few doors down Murphys bar does good pub grub, The Failte accross the road should do a good feed too and all 3 would be a good spot for a pint or two.
    Enjoy as i hope to myself :D

There's a great crowd registering tonight. It started at 7ish and at that time I saw number 5550ish being given out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭jimshady101

All registered.... Bike cleaned and ready to go!

Fingers crossed for a nice day tomorrow!

Done.
    6h 7min

Felt bad for first 90km. Result of too many kms in past week (380km to yday).
    Wheelsucked until Caherciveen. Sat on the back of a good group till Waterville (AstraMonti and several Cork based clubs).

Finally started to feel strong. Motored up Coomakiste. Saddle broke (rail). Fixed at top.
    Motored from there to Sneem to Pancake Cottage at Molls Gap.
    Dined on spicy carrot soup, blue cheese walnut and maple syrup pancake, scone cream and jam.
    Finished shortly after.
    Great day.
    But way too many folk who think it is permissible to take up the entire road. Fewer clubs and less discipline versus prior years.

As well as Astra Monti (very strong all day) I met Tackleberry (lovely bike).

550km for the week. Shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Well done lad - a decent time for 108 miles in the midst of 5000+ riders!

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Well done lad - a decent time for 108 miles in the midst of 5000+ riders!

I took a slight detour to get lunch. 101 miles for me, but an extra climb.
    Slower than last year.

Done! First ever sportive complete in 6:30:31. Currently in bath.

PS it was brilliant. Well marshalled, beautiful scenery, great company. I'll be back.

Currently in front of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just finished. Not sure if I'll be back. Nothing against the organization which was as great as ever. There were too many cyclists and too many of them were idiots.

Is it looking like an event that will in future editions either have to limit entry numbers (last year @ ~3800 was on the borderline for me) or even become a closed road event with controlled start times etc for safety?

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Is it looking like an event that will in future editions either have to limit entry numbers (last year @ ~3800 was on the borderline for me) or even become a closed road event with controlled start times etc for safety?

Oh I met your Mammy :)

penexpers wrote: »
    Oh I met your Mammy :)

Haha! Hope you made sure she did her turn at the front :p

My Da was out with the club too -I might be living proof that cycling is a heritable trait...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Just finished. Not sure if I'll be back. Nothing against the organization which was as great as ever. There were too many cyclists and too many of them were idiots.

Have to agree here. The stops were all good and there was plenty of water but sending a crowd of that size off with no outriders or marshalls was asking for trouble. Did it for the first time, glad I experienced it once but before I even left Killarney at the start I reckoned it would be my last time doing it. However, that may be down to the likes of me trying to make progress when in fact it is probably more a day for the casual cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

I had a great day out albeit a slow one, cape clear pulled me around a lot of it fairplay. Met Astra Monti in Caherciveen.
    I don't think there was too many cyclist. It's a charity event after all not just a sportif. The higher the numbers the more money raised - and the organisers couldn't have done more. Anyone who thinks it's for the 'casual' rider go away or stick to racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Done in 6.36 hrs, my first Ring of Kerry and to be honest I was happy enough. Struggled big time on the smaller valleys on kilarney side of Molls Gap and lost some time there while waiting for energy levels to pick back up...All i can say is thank god for Rice Krispie squares...they definitely saved me big time!

Other than that cudnt fault anything about the day. Your bound to experience a bit of trouble with so many, propably inexperienced riders on the road but I think i can safely say il be back next year.

Big thanks to The Chain Gang, Youghal Cycling Club and Midleton Cycling Club who got me out of a few spots of bother!

Even better organised that last year with more snack stops. I agree that people should not take the whole lane (and then some).

There was an accident a few km before Pat Spillane's bar - possibly some contact with a car. One guy had blood on his temple but was up and about.

A huge amount of food stops if you needed it.
    Had a sambo in Caherciveen - boxes of sambos, bananas and crisps with help yourself are great.
    No queues.
    Took water at Coomakiste and Sneem. Very well organised.

Its a great event but given the inexperience of many cyclists, the organisers in future should include a list of pointers as to what is acceptable.

5 a breast, talking on mobile etc are unacceptable.
    Keep it simple. Cycle left, pass right. No more than two abreast. Don't hog the road.

I wouldn't like to see numbers limited as this event raises a helluva a lot of much needed funds for Kerry charities.

I had to finish by a certain time today so was committed to an early start (630am). By the time I hit Killarney there were huge groups on the road.

Next year I might try a 10am start to avoid the big crowds.
    I was in town at 530 and there was a nice group of cyclists on the road, but it wasn't overwhelmi g.
    Staggered starts maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Did it in around 6.5 hours cycling time. The rest was spent pointlessly overtaking only to get stuck with another group. Very enjoyable though and was well organised. Best way to describe it would be dangerous fun day out with idiots on both bikes and driving cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Just home after doing this today. 6:36 rolling time. Very happy with that.

Almost got killed coming down off Molls Gap. Some women in an MPV decided to pull accross the road into a parking spot as I was hurtling down. Jammed on the brakes, back wheel locked up and I went into a skid. Managed to swerve and just missed the back of the car. Really put the heart sideways in me.

Other than that, thoroughly enjoyable day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Just home.. 6:30 with a good few stops... Great spin but as other posters said it was LETHAL at times ..too many idiots out there without a feckin clue cycling 5 abreast at times pulling wildly all over the road.. First time at ROK .. I thought it was a much easier spin than the Burren a fortnight ago... Hope everyone got home safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The group riding drove me mental, so just before the first climb I cycled off at my own pace and stayed on my own the rest of the way home. It made the day a whole lot better. Instead of a group of 20 or 30 trying to pass two slow wobblers I only had myself to worry about getting round them.

6Hrs rolling for me. 6H40 Total. Marshalling, food stops and the smaller water stops were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Hey... Im very interested in challenging myself to do the Cycle next year. I know this is a hard question to answer, because everyone has different levels of fitness... BUT..

How long would the most people (people who did this cycle as a challenge) have trained for prior to the event??

Its a great event but given the inexperience of many cyclists, the organisers in future should include a list of pointers as to what is acceptable.

5 a breast, talking on mobile etc are unacceptable.
    Keep it simple. Cycle left, pass right. No more than two abreast. Don't hog the road.

I wouldn't like to see numbers limited as this event raises a helluva a lot of much needed funds for Kerry charities.

Staggered starts maybe?

TBH I don't think handing out a list of pointers will make any difference. I think the problem is the poor Kerry roads simply can't handle 6000 odd cyclists of different abilities and all the normal traffic.

Some of my experiences today included
    - Groups overtaking around a blind corner and forcing oncoming cars to swerve into the ditch.
    - Nearly being swiped several times because people didn't heed my calls or swerved suddenly.
    - Cyclists taking up the entire road and blocking cars from safely overtaking.

If the cycle continues to grow in the way it has in the past few years, there'll be 8,000 doing it next year. At the very least, next year needs to have staggered starts, with the fastest cyclists allowed off first.

• Advertisement

- Groups overtaking around a blind corner and forcing oncoming cars to swerve into the ditch..
    I must commend those drivers and those trying to overtake the 5 abrest groups for their patience.

Advertisement