Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest slab of good beer?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Salitos @ 19.99 (24x 275ml bottles) Local Shop (Small bottles but look fun)

Where's your local? i've been trying to find this stuff for a while. Not the best beer but it has sentimental value for my friend and i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I agree with this.

I think a few people who posted on this thread thought i was having a go at off-Licences in general & i am not.
    I'd prefer not to give my money to the big supermarkets but i really have no choice, times are tough & i just cant ignore a bargain. 40 euros for 24 beers is ridiculous whatever way you cut it. Tesco's are selling slabs for 36 euro, not good enough either.
    Any criticism ive expressed is aimed squarely at my local offie. The owner is bitterly sticking with pricing that is not in sync with the current economic climate. Thats unacceptable & i honestly dont know how he's still in business.
    Sorry ive gone off topic again.
    Anyway i suppose when it comes to my original question everyone has their own idea of what a good beer is & what a good price for that beer is so its a bit of an unquantifiable concept.

Anyway enjoy your xmas drinks. Goodluck.:)

Yeah, somehow this did turn into a bit of a slagging match!
    If I wanted a slab of lager, then I'd purchase in the supermarket too - I'd be crazy not to. Thing is, my local offie does great deals on out of date stock so even if I do want lager, I can get a much better lager just as cheap as the supermarket.
    Off licences can't compete with supermarkets on price - they simply cannot compete with below cost selling. A good offie will offer the kind of variety and service that a supermarket just can't. If their strategy is to try to compete on price, they will fail (and lots have).

Happy Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

BeerNut wrote: »
    Possible beer snob's New Year's resolution: don't drink anything available in cans, e.g. Tiger; Miller.

When did Tiger beer start doing cans??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

When did Tiger beer start doing cans??
    What a strange question. I've no idea. Some time in the 1960s or 1970s, maybe?

Fair enough I've never seen them is all. I was intrigued since you were advising against cans.

• Advertisement

436192291_5408bcdbe3.jpg
    you were advising against cans.
    No, beer that is available in cans. And it's only a broad rule. There are lots of good beers that come canned. Not so many lagers, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

IrishWhiskeyCha, careful what you post please & thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

IrishWhiskeyCha, careful what you post please & thanks.

Sorry ... that rule slipped my mind :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

trip to lidl?

buy beers with nothing but the three ingredients?

I never really understood why that old German law is touted so much. Surely with just water, barley and hops you get a non alcoholic glass of water with bits floating in it, and yeast is needed to work its magic? Also, is weissbier a lesser beer than others? Again, is the porterhouse's Oyster stout inferior because it has an extra ingredient?

yeast is needed
    Yeast and what it does wasn't known when the 'gebot was first written. It is allowed for in later versions of the text.
    Also, is weissbier a lesser beer than others?
    Quite the reverse: for years the royal breweries had exclusive rights to brew wheat beer: it wasn't for the likes of commoners.

A bigger problem with the Reinheitsgebot as a measure of quality is that it allows hop extract in place of real hops, which can give a plasticky taste off a lager.
    is the porterhouse's Oyster stout inferior because it has an extra ingredient?
    According to irrational 'gebot purists: yes. In fact, it doesn't really count as actual beer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Beer snob fail :p

What's with all the Tiger beer bashing? It's a nice beer, not the best in the world but in a lot of Irish drinkeries it is probably the nicest beer available. Also, Tiger beer in Singapore is a lot nicer IMO than Tiger beer here. Something to do with the climate I guess.
    Yeast and what it does wasn't known when the 'gebot was first written. It is allowed for in later versions of the text.

Ok, so four ingredients then.
    Quite the reverse: for years the royal breweries had exclusive rights to brew wheat beer: it wasn't for the likes of commoners.

So to be fair then, proper German beer can have up to five ingredients then.
    According to irrational 'gebot purists: yes. In fact, it doesn't really count as actual beer :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know that there aren't chemicals in beer, and I don't like the way some beers don't mention their ingredients e.g. Leffe just says contains malted barley. But I think that far too much reverence is given to the Germans of yesteryear.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know that there aren't chemicals in beer, and I don't like the way some beers don't mention their ingredients e.g. Leffe just says contains malted barley. But I think that far too much reverence is given to the Germans of yesteryear.

I wouldn't overthink this thing, its simply Becks marketing ingrained in peoples minds. As you say its nice to know extra chemicals aren't added but that's all its about at this stage.

What's with all the Tiger beer bashing? It's a nice beer
    If you say so. I think it's terrible. But each to their own.
    far too much reverence is given to the Germans of yesteryear.
    Not by anyone I drink with. But, like I say, each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oddbins had carlsberg, guinness & budweiser, 24x500ml cans €60 per slab! Think they were trying to make a statment. 24 superbock longnecks were €27 and there were one or 2 other offers.
    Again, is the porterhouse's Oyster stout inferior because it has an extra ingredient?
    The laws were partly brought in to stop contamination with other inebriates. I read a lot about it before in old books about witchcraft & drugs, wiki just mentions this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
    Hops are added to beer to impart flavours but also act as a preservative, and their mention in the Reinheitsgebot meant to prevent inferior methods of preserving beer that had been used before the introduction of hops. Medieval brewers had used many problematic ingredients to preserve beers, including, for example, soot and fly agaric mushrooms. More commonly, other herbs had been used, such as stinging nettle and henbane.
    The mushrooms & henbane were really primarily used as inebriants, both are psychoactive drugs (like alcohol) and so it was a cheap way to boost the perceived strength. Several other medieval "witches herbs" were used.

rubadub wrote: »
    The laws were partly brought in to stop contamination with other inebriates. I read a lot about it before in old books about witchcraft & drugs, wiki just mentions this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
    The mushrooms & henbane were really primarily used as inebriants, both are psychoactive drugs (like alcohol) and so it was a cheap way to boost the perceived strength. Several other medieval "witches herbs" were used.

It's true what they say, they don't make em like they used to. I wonder what those Germans would have made of Absinthe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Where's your local? i've been trying to find this stuff for a while. Not the best beer but it has sentimental value for my friend and i

They have it in my local for 6 bottles for €6, that's Sheil's in Drumcondra, just at the top of Dorset Street.

Advertisement