Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tents

Options
  • 16-12-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

Having absolutely no experience of tents I need some advice.

I need a tent that will comfortably fit three people. What I would like to know is, which brands are the best (ie: if it rains you wont get wet) and where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

there are millions of 3 man tents on the market - you need to make a list of what you want, need, and don't care about.

if, for instance, you need a fully weather-proof, 3 man all-season tent that's man portable, and you aren't worried about the cost, then i'd suggest a Terra Nova Hyperspace or Super Quasar at £600 and £560 respectively - however, if £600 for a tent gives you a fit, you need to look at quite how weatherproof you need the tent - theres no point paying for capability that you aren't going to use...

where are you going to use it, when, how much kit will you have with you, do you need to carry it, and how much have you got to spend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Budget is €50 - €100. I will be using this at a music festival and I will need to carry it. I will be bringing a bag with some clothes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Budget is €50 - €100. I will be using this at a music festival and I will need to carry it. I will be bringing a bag with some clothes etc.

For a music festival, you don't need much of a tent. Any budget brand should do. For three bods, look for a 4 person tent, as tent ratings are usually based on sleeping head-to-toe right next to each other with zero room for kit.

The only essential advice is to get a tent with a seperate rain fly, because one-piece tents are useless. They trap loads of condensation from your breath, and soak you at night. Not to mention that if you touch the wall, it loses it's water resistance.

In case it's lashing the whole time, you can get something like this 4 man family tent, which has a covered living area. The downside is weight (10kgs, but you can share the weight between you) and price.

If you want to buy in a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland, stay away from the Great Outdoors, since they mainly do high-end (expensive) stuff, although they do have one special offer that might suit. It's at the top end of your budget (€99), but it does have a porch for gear and is a 3-man tent. Probably a bit claustrophobic if it's raining all day.

A good one could be this 4-man tent that the Outdoor Adventure Store are selling. It's in your price range, rated for 4 bods, weighs only 3.65kgs and has enough room for kit and the like. OAS have physical shops in Dublin and Galway, too.

If you want to order online, and don't need something urgently, ebay is your friend. They have lots of tents, and you can usually find a good price. If you won't be in the tent except to sleep, you could pick up something pretty cheap. That said, the no-brand tents for those prices are probably awful. It depends whether you want to take the risk and have more boozin' money.

As for season ratings, don't worry about that too much for a music festival, since you won't be in the wilds. Your comfort at night will be mostly down to your sleeping bag, so get a decent one and make sure you have a rollmat. They only cost 6 or 7 euros, but they are essential for a decent kip, since your sleeping bag provides zero warmth when compressed against the ground. If you're on a budget, you can sleep on a few layers of bubble wrap instead. Rollmat's probably better, since you can sit on it outside while having a few cans or eating, or whatever.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Donny5 wrote: »
    For a music festival, you don't need much of a tent. Any budget brand should do. For three bods, look for a 4 person tent, as tent ratings are usually based on sleeping head-to-toe right next to each other with zero room for kit.

The only essential advice is to get a tent with a seperate rain fly, because one-piece tents are useless. They trap loads of condensation from your breath, and soak you at night. Not to mention that if you touch the wall, it loses it's water resistance.

In case it's lashing the whole time, you can get something like this 4 man family tent, which has a covered living area. The downside is weight (10kgs, but you can share the weight between you) and price.

If you want to buy in a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland, stay away from the Great Outdoors, since they mainly do high-end (expensive) stuff, although they do have one special offer that might suit. It's at the top end of your budget (€99), but it does have a porch for gear and is a 3-man tent. Probably a bit claustrophobic if it's raining all day.

A good one could be this 4-man tent that the Outdoor Adventure Store are selling. It's in your price range, rated for 4 bods, weighs only 3.65kgs and has enough room for kit and the like. OAS have physical shops in Dublin and Galway, too.

If you want to order online, and don't need something urgently, ebay is your friend. They have lots of tents, and you can usually find a good price. If you won't be in the tent except to sleep, you could pick up something pretty cheap. That said, the no-brand tents for those prices are probably awful. It depends whether you want to take the risk and have more boozin' money.

As for season ratings, don't worry about that too much for a music festival, since you won't be in the wilds. Your comfort at night will be mostly down to your sleeping bag, so get a decent one and make sure you have a rollmat. They only cost 6 or 7 euros, but they are essential for a decent kip, since your sleeping bag provides zero warmth when compressed against the ground. If you're on a budget, you can sleep on a few layers of bubble wrap instead. Rollmat's probably better, since you can sit on it outside while having a few cans or eating, or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic. Thank you for your advice.

Advertisement