Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC available in Dub 8?

• 16-12-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi
    just wondering what i can do to get BB in my apartment that is smack in the city centre..(ish):D i live right near the NCAD college and i rand up UPC and they said it wasn't available in my address.. is there anything i can do besides 1. waiting with everything crossed to see if and when it does become available with them
    2. bite the bullet and go with some one else.. i dont really wana pay line rental if i can help it..

so basically im asking is there a request thing i can ask for or is that retarted?... i just thought that living in the middle of dublin city i could get UPC fairly easily.. my mistake apparently..:confused::cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

keep ringing them back until you get the sales person that tells you it is available. I was told about 7 months ago that it's available on Thomas Street.

I recently ordered upc bb, was told by the first person I spoke to that it wasn't available. Rang back 10 mins later, spoke to a different person and ordered it then and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

I'm a complete technophobe about these things, but our house is a three-minute walk to NCAD (we could be neighbours! :p) and we've got UPC broadband. Is it NTL you are contacting? We had loads of hassle at the start with them but I'm almost positive you should be able to get broadband where you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hobo548

perhaps we could be! :D i rang up the normal (i think) UPC hotline and asked for the BB service. i did ring twice and got two different people to tell me the same thing 'its not available'.. is it maybe something to do with the building i live in.. its certainly not new/modern. its odd too as i can 'see' a nearby UPC network show up on my PC while in my living room, although im pretty sure none of my actual building neighbours have UPC(theres only 3 to 4 of em) and the signal strength of that UPC network is quite weak.. its just frustrating when you dont want to go with smart telecom and get a landline in or worse..eircom. (shudder):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm about three minutes away in Cork street on 20 mbs upc with a strong signal (touch wood). My ex is down in Christchurch with similar. So Thomas Street has either drifted into space or you should be able to get it. The "digital hub" is just up the road from you....or was that a celtic kitten invention.:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There are many gaps in the network - I am in Kilmainham and it is not availalbe to me whereas it appears to be available within 50 yds.

There are also many gaps in UPC's knowledge of where exactly bb is available and this has been demonstrated here many times. The website availablility check is not reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement