Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mcgeady to everton?

• 16-12-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=37764

Remember they expressed an interest in Hunt before. Must be having trouble finding a winger who can't pass.

Everton keen on Celtic star McGeady – report

December 15, 2009

Everton manager David Moyes has prioritised a January move for Aiden McGeady, according to a Tuesday morning newspaper report.

The Celtic and Ireland star has been in good form in recent weeks, scoring his fifth goal of the season in Saturday’s Scottish Premier League win over Motherwell.

And the Irish Daily Star claims that Moyes, a boyhood Celtic fan who spent time at Parkhead as a player, could make an offer of €6.6m for McGeady’s signature in January.

The report suggests that Mowbray could be willing to cash in on McGeady as he bids to put his own stamp on the first-team picture at Celtic Park.

Whether McGeady would be a good fit for Everton, though, remains to be seen.

Russian international Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, signed from Lokomotiv Moscow in the summer, has quickly established himself on the left wing – McGeady’s favoured position.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

They can keep him... There are a lot more pressing purchases that Everton need in January. We need defensive cover at centre back, left back and up front. Wingers are the last thing that we need right now. The fact as well that there is very little end product from McGeady and we don't have any money for transfers... I can't see this happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If you want a winger who can skin 5 people then run into the crowd then McGeady is your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Waste of money he'd be (for the price it'd cost to get him).

He's only just good enough for the SPL, I wouldn't have much confidence for him in the Premier League.

And as said above, Everton really need more solid strength in midfield and more cover at the back, plus if Donavan signs, it'll be good competition for up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

McGeady does have potential no doubt about it, but whether that potential can be tapped into is anybody's guess. His final ball is dreadful more often than not and his shooting leaves a lot to be desired. He will score the odd sublime goal but doesn't do it nearly often enough. The Premiership would be a massive step up in class for him. Anytime I have seen him play in OLD FIRM games, he usually does absolutely nothing in terms of creating opportunities for his team mates. He has great quick feet, no doubt about this fact, however they may be more suited to 'Strictly come Dancing' than a football field.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Col200sx wrote: »

He's only just good enough for the SPL,

er, was he not SPFA player of the year a few times?

Seaneh wrote: »

Yep, and I agree, I just don't think he'll cut it in the Premier League.

Brewster above make some good points in that he's played very averagely against Rangers, and also against the "bigger" SPL sides.

I think it would be the wrong move for club and player

On the plus side, if he was to move, Moyes is a fantastic man-manager, and has gotten very good results out of some average players. And I think if McGeady did sign Moyes would look after him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

was at the game against Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago and he was far and away the best on the pitch. He's the best player in the league and has improved this season even if the team have been playing rubbish. In that game against Aberdeen he put a cross right onto Samaras' head and gifted him a goal. If somebody can get consistency out of him he could be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'd say if they were offered anything in the region of 4/5m they would snap at it.

And I don't think there would be too many protests from supporters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As frustrating as he is to watch for Ireland anybody saying he is "only just good enough for the SPL" needs their head examined.

Being one of the best players in a league doesn't mean you are "only just good enough" to play in it.

He needs a change badly, he need better coaching badly. Would rather he went to Spurs, Harry seems to have helped Lennon with his end product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Liam O wrote: »
    was at the game against Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago and he was far and away the best on the pitch. He's the best player in the league and has improved this season even if the team have been playing rubbish. In that game against Aberdeen he put a cross right onto Samaras' head and gifted him a goal. If somebody can get consistency out of him he could be great.

To be fair, there are not that many players that ply their trade in Scotland that are good enough to play in premiership just now. I think McGeady could, don't get me wrong, but he needs more time and development. Whether that development takes place in Scotland or England, I dont know. As I say, he can produce some sublime crosses, however for every one that he puts on someone's head, 5 will go into the stand. His end product needs to be improve dramatically. Ireland France in Paris, last minute of extra time, and he hits a joke of a freekick?? Was so frustrating at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

31 caps for Ireland and not a single worthwhile contribution. Scotland were smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Seaneh wrote: »

yeah, but look who else has

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPFA_Players'_Player_of_the_Year

31 caps for Ireland and not a single worthwhile contribution. Scotland were smart.

Exaggeration.

Setup the opener for Doyle in Georgia and was the only catalyst in the return game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

whatnext wrote: »

Aye...some truly awful players on that list...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think Scotland wanted him.

from wikipedia:
    McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris. After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times (Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools selects.) The Republic of Ireland, who had no such rule, instructed Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team. McGeady was then named in a Scotland under-16 squad, but the player declined to represent the Scots citing his experience of the Irish set up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts. McGeady made his full début for the Republic of Ireland in June 2004 against Jamaica.

pwd wrote: »
    I think Scotland wanted him.

I'm sure they are happy now in hindsight.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm sure they are happy now in hindsight.;)

I'm sure you havent a clue what your talking about if you dont think McGeadey would walk onto the Scotland team

I'm sure you havent a clue what your talking about if you dont think McGeadey would walk onto the Scotland team

Thanks for those wise words.:rolleyes: But leaving that aside, it really depends what your Scottish team is? At least mine would be James McFadden on the left, Darren Fletcher on the right, with Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson in the centre, so no, I don't think he would ''walk'' onto the Scottish team.

Thanks for those wise words.:rolleyes: But leaving that aside, it really depends what your Scottish team is? At least mine would be James McFadden on the left, Darren Fletcher on the right, with Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson in the centre, so no, I don't think he would ''walk'' onto the Scottish team.

Barry Ferguson? Are you in a time loop or something?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Barry Ferguson? Are you in a time loop or something?

Tell you what, given his form at Birmingham we could bloody well do with him!

He is banned from the Scottish setup - whats the point of bringing him up?

You might want to read up on that....If the new manager wants him and McGregor (who are both incidently on cracking form right now) then the SFA wont stand in their way.

Incorrect. The Scottish FA have stated that the new international boss will be free to call up whoever he likes, and that includes Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor.

So they've confirmed that their international ban is now finished.

Back on topic, I still feel McGeady is good in Scotland, but not ready right now for the Premier League, and I'm sticking by that.

Fair enough.

It is by no means a certainty though.

Anyway, he would walk into the Scottish team and he is wasting away up North playing against crap every week.

Fair enough.

It is by no means a certainty though.

Anyway, he would walk into the Scottish team and he is wasting away up North playing against crap every week.

I think he would be in the Scotland set up without a doubt, were hardly blessed with an abundance of talent at the moment.

However he is a hugely over rated player, on his day any defender will struggle against him. However his day only seems to come once in every 5 or 6

Agreed. If he is overrated I would say it is only because of the opposition he usually plays against compared to who he faces in europe and international football.

For the good of the Irish team I hope he joins a premiership club who can teach him to make better decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Agreed. If he is overrated I would say it is only because of the opposition he usually plays against compared to who he faces in europe and international football.

For the good of the Irish team I hope he joins a premiership club who can teach him to make better decisions.

So if he is inconsistent in scotland it is because he is up against inferior opposition?

Interesting logic there dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Eirebear wrote: »
    So if he is inconsistent in scotland it is because he is up against inferior opposition?

Every game he plays in the SPL the opposition double up on him and he is still the standout player in the league, didnt Arsene Wenger say after the qualifier this year that he was the best player on the pitch over the two legs??

I agree that he is not really the finished article it more of a rough diamond but when the continuing decline of the spl he needs to get to hell out of there for he's careers sake.

Also to the poster who said he would have a centre midfield of Brown and Ferguson for Scotland lol one who has been banished quite deservedly from the international scene and another who has played upto about conference standard in about 2 years :rolleyes:

Eirebear wrote: »

My, you seem to have misinterpreted (intentionally or otherwise).

He seems to be alot better against the weaker teams in Scotland (who make up the majority of his games) and play worse in the bigger games, international, Europe etc.

Get it now?

Advertisement