Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance and moving houses

Options
  • 16-12-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I am looking for advice

we are renting a house for 675Euro a month. we are receiving 131 Euro a week of rent allowance (couple with child) and on top of that we have to pay from our pockets to meet the rent payments.

we want to change house for cheaper around 500-550 Euro a month.

1. when should we notify SWofficer that we want to move (month before would be enough?)
    2. would we still receive full RA amount or close to it?what would have to be our contribution towards the rent

thx for reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It seems ot vary from county to county.

Here in Donegal, there is a rent ceiling; to get Rent Allowance, a house has to be maximum rent of E85 a week. We queried that and were told that it is a buyers' market and that most landlords would allow rent to be lowered to that.

Some landlords/tenants get round that as one potential landlord told us, by giving lower figures to the SW and the tenant makes up the shortfall privately; ie there are in effect two leases....

You need to check the figures where you are; probably best to speak to the SW Officer.

May also be different with a child?

We were in an E65 house and were given allowance of E38 a week. Still waiting on this here. But we did have to renegotiate the rent twice with the landlord to access any allowance.

ani_mal wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am looking for advice

we are renting a house for 675Euro a month. we are receiving 131 Euro a week of rent allowance (couple with child) and on top of that we have to pay from our pockets to meet the rent payments.

we want to change house for cheaper around 500-550 Euro a month.

1. when should we notify SWofficer that we want to move (month before would be enough?)
    2. would we still receive full RA amount or close to it?what would have to be our contribution towards the rent

thx for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

thx for sharing the info.

we live in co.meath the rent allowance is different. Max monthly rent is around 567 or so, a month. I think you always need to make your own contribution into it (just hard to do it when both of us are not working).
    Anyways, if someone knows how the process works itself pls let me know.

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, we are all means tested of course.

The only way forward for you is to talk with your own Community Welfare officer as soon as you can.

Anything from here will lack authenticity and accuracy.

He or she has all the info... or maybe a Citizens Information office in your area also? Who may well tell you to talk with your CWO!!

Good luck
    ani_mal wrote: »
    thx for sharing the info.

we live in co.meath the rent allowance is different. Max monthly rent is around 567 or so, a month. I think you always need to make your own contribution into it (just hard to do it when both of us are not working).
    Anyways, if someone knows how the process works itself pls let me know.

thx

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Maybe one of you could get a job?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

narddog wrote: »
    Maybe one of you could get a job?

Unhelpful, rude or argumentative posts, are not acceptable in this forum. If you disagree with what someone posts- refute the post- without attacking the poster. Failure to follow this very simple tenent will earn you a holiday from posting in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
Advertisement