Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed on 457 Visa (sponsorship)

Options
  • 17-12-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭

I've been hoping to get sponsorship with the company I am with at the minute. They've guaranteed me work until the end of my WHV but I want to stay in Oz longer than that. Ireland is still fooked :D:D

Unfortunately they appear to be a bit reluctant. They would be very by the book, and their opinion appears to be that for sponsorship they would have to prove that they can't find a local resident that fits the position need.

Surely this isn't true? Is there a way I could put the case forward that would help me. I know there is the requirement that they employ Australian residents first, but i'd be 1 irish person out of about 100.

Outside of 457, what other options are there for me. I have a degree, and I probably qualify for skilled migration, the problem is that as far as I know, its not cheap.

Help please!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Is your position one someone could just walk in and do if they where qualified or did you have to do some on the job training? If you had to do training you could argue that you are the only one who has been trained to do the job.

What exactly are you working as?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Essentially working as an architect in sydney. So their was on no the job training, there was previous training that was needed, degree, various software etc

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Mellor wrote: »
    Essentially working as an architect in sydney. So their was on no the job training, there was previous training that was needed, degree, various software etc

My mate (australian) has found it very hard to get steady/full time architecture work since he graduated two years ago,so much so that he's gonna move to Melbourne or overseas in the new year.
    You could probably get contract work but that wont lead to sponsorship if they only need you some of the time.

I was taken initially on a contract basis. 6 weeks estimate.
    If been constantly extended, and its pretty much a case that I can work here as long as I have a visa. 12+ months not a problem. however, they won't look at a 457

I fall just short of the requirements of a 175 visa.

Basically, the company are afraid of 457 and they don't get involved. I'm not fully sure of the requirements regarding being the only man for the job. I was hoping somebody could de-bunk that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Mellor wrote: »
    It's been constantly extended, and its pretty much a case that I can work here as long as I have a visa. 12+ months not a problem. however, they won't look at a 457

Well if thats their stanch then there's not much you can do. Maybe you can offer to cover all costs of the visa? ($2000??)

What it boils down to is they have to offer you a full time job in order to get the visa. This means giving you benefits like holidays/sick pay and that makes you less expendable in their eyes.

Maybe if you can convince them that your here for the long haul ya never know. Also is Architecture still on the critical skills list? I know it was changed a while back

• Advertisement

ifumust82 wrote: »
    Well if thats their stanch then there's not much you can do. Maybe you can offer to cover all costs of the visa? ($2000??)
    Try about $700, i think
    What it boils down to is they have to offer you a full time job in order to get the visa. This means giving you benefits like holidays/sick pay and that makes you less expendable in their eyes.

Maybe if you can convince them that your here for the long haul ya never know. Also is Architecture still on the critical skills list? I know it was changed a while back

The whole full time with benefits might be an issue, i'd wave them if i got the job, but that may not be an option

Advertisement