Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused what to look for in decent\reasonably priced Blu-Ray player

• 17-12-2009 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Looking for advice on Christmas present. Everyone's telling me to get a PS3, but am not a video games person in the least. Does every player have the internet, BD-Live? What should I avoid or make sure any player I might get has? Appreciate any thoughts so much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

First off, not every player has internet so does not have BD Live. This however is only an optional part of BR titles so you will not miss out on any film content.

How a BD live player connects to the internet has a bearing on cost - wired is cheaper than wifi.

Next in the cost differences are the video processing (or up-scaling) of normal DVD's. Your TV does this anyway, and pretty well in fact so it is not a feature I hold in high regard.

Another cost is audio processing, the cheapest being bit-streaming the audio and allowing the AVR to do the decoding. The most expensive being a full 7.1 analogue stage with equalisation. Again, these are features that many AVR's have so would be optional, and for you to decide if you trust that the ones in the AVR would do a better job than the ones in the Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Pick up the Sony BDP S 360 in Xtravision for 159 and get four free films or get it slightly cheaper in DID with three films, I have this player and two of the older Sony Blu Ray (S350), they are great players and you can connect to the internet by plugging an ethernet cable into the back and you can also make it multi region with a simple one for all remote control hack.

It also upscales the standard DVD to a better quality picture as well.

Four Blu Ray Films from Xtravision deal are:

Slumdog Millionaire
    Angels and Demons
    Terminator Salvation
    Star Trek(which includes digital copy for itunes)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

Was looking at that one. Is there any different between that and this machine? (Specs wise, I realise there are no free DVDs with it).
    http://www.xtravision.ie/home-entertainment/280044/lg-bd360-blu-ray-player.aspx

... and why don't all Blu-Rays seems to have the HDMI cable with them? Someone said to me you're looking at another 80 quid to buy that seperately. Is is an essential component of a player, right?

Really appreciate the replies thus far, guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For €150 it'll do the job, i've no idea on the spec comparison. At that price I'd assume it'd play Blurays and dvd's, and at least bitstream HD Audio to your AVR if it can decode it. You are best off to download the manual for both and see what features one has over the other.
    Mr. A wrote: »
    ... and why don't all Blu-Rays seems to have the HDMI cable with them? Someone said to me you're looking at another 80 quid to buy that seperately. Is is an essential component of a player, right?

Apart from your price quotation being vastly exaggerated (€10 in Tescos will get you a HDMI lead), the main reason that manufacturers don't give one (in general - some do) is that they are an external cost. i.e. LG don't make HDMI cables so they have to buy them in and charge you for it. Would you pay €230 (150+80) for that player you linked to even if it said in a big sticker on the front "Free HDMI lead worth €80 inside"?

Also, in my opinion (and presumably many others), I want to pick the cables that I use, to my own specification, and I throw out the crappy ones that come with players.

With this in mind, knowing that many customers have paid money for a cable already, why would they go through extra expense for essentially nothing, as they will not benefit even in the case that the customer hasn't got a cable.

Advertisement