Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband, The Biggest Rip Offs In Ireland Today?

Options
  • 17-12-2009 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259
    Now I'm inclined to say Eircom are the biggest rip offs, but IB are charging 55mb for 4mb, and 48 for 3mb, a 7 euro price gap on an extra MB, but if they wanted to go to 5mb, that would come to 62 for 5mb, as opposed to Eircoms 7 for 62.

Do you think that maybe, just MAYBE IB are taking the piss with their prices now?

(Note: I'm quitting IB in January after this discovery)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

My Internet is great. Only 1 cent a minute, It's a bit slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

O_o

Really??

Right now with the state of everything in this god forsaken pisspot of a country, you think that that is the biggest ripoff going on..
    I envy your ignorance. :)

NTL or Smart FTW on broadband..
    They have the best non-business packages I could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

shop around OP, and if you think its expensive move provider

I'm with BT, switched from Eircom. Have a far better package for cheaper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Xinkai wrote: »
    as opposed to Eircoms 7 for 62.

Download limit of 50Gb and an upload speed of 384Kbs. Each extra 1Mb will cost 1c or about €10per Gb (now that's pricey).
    Irish broadband have no download limit and an upload speed equal to your download speed. You're not comparing similar products. It's not all about the download speed. 7Mb/s is no use to you if you go above 50Gb, it just means you can increase your bill much quicker. I'll be staying with Irish Broadband.

Edit: I'm on IBBs 3Mb packages for €48.60. So you're right in saying Eircom are bigger rip offs. Their 3Mb package is €51.99 per month with a 30Gb cap. Admittedly that comes with line rental so if you're already paying for line rental it might be worth looking at. I'm not so it's not. You do have a bit of point though. IBB haven't updated their prices in a couple of years, the other guys have caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

shop around OP, and if you think its expensive move provider

I'm with BT, switched from Eircom. Have a far better package for cheaper

I was with BT, was moved to Vodafone 2 weeks ago as part of the handover, it's the worst fixed line broadband i've ever encountered.. I'll be moving back to eircom again shortly, they may be a bit more expensive but at least you've a reliable service. BT were very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I left IBB in August. I had the 4 meg breeze. The one with the aerial on the roof. I was paying just under 50 euro a month, but the service was perfect. Never had an umplanned outage in 3 years. They are expensive but I put that down to them needing their own network. They had to put up the transmitters and send people out to erect the aeriels on peoples houses and the like. The entire network had to be setup from scratch.

The phoneline based internet providers only have to provide a modem as they are piggybacking off the Eircom network. The infrastructure is done for them already. (about the only thing eircom is good for!)

I would still be with them only for my economising.

Phones at 45 and BB at 48 = 93 euro per month.

Now with Vodaphone at home I get everything for 55 euro. No brainer really.

So far, vodafone BB has not let me down and I get a stable 400-500k down and an ok upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So far, vodafone BB has not let me down and I get a stable 400-500k down and an ok upload.

that's pretty crap, it's mobile broadband you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Well with Eircom at least you actually get broadband and not some crappy service the equivalent to dial up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

that's pretty crap, it's mobile broadband you have?

I have the home broadband which is UPTO 7 meg. My speeds are not to bad. I average between 400 and 500k and my download manager pulls at around 550k. Its stable and hasnt let me down - yet!

Advertisement