Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging Visa for 2nd yr WHV??

Options
  • 17-12-2009 5:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey Im looking at getting my 2nd year WHV.
    I haven't done any fruit picking work yet and dont have 3 months left on my existing visa.
    A mate of mine told me that there's some sort of bridging visa that allows you to finish fruit picking work to obtain the 2nd year..
    Has anybody done their fruit picking work past their visa expiry date??
    Or any info if this is possible to do...
    Really wish I done the harvest work when I first got here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

El Gringo wrote: »
    Hey Im looking at getting my 2nd year WHV.
    I haven't done any fruit picking work yet and dont have 3 months left on my existing visa.
    A mate of mine told me that there's some sort of bridging visa that allows you to finish fruit picking work to obtain the 2nd year..
    Has anybody done their fruit picking work past their visa expiry date??
    Or any info if this is possible to do...
    Really wish I done the harvest work when I first got here...

hate to be the bearer of bad news but as far as im aware your fruit picking has to be done during your 1st WHV. (this was told to me from an immigration lawyer)

RE Bridging Visa...
    As soon as you apply for your 2nd WHV your automatically granted a bridging Visa which will kick in as soon as your 1st wHV ends so that you can legally stay in the country while waiting on a decision your 2nd visa.

Have you eh explored any orther options....? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not a chance of this happening tbh, especially being Irish and the attention we've got lately in Australia. Try applying for another visa, but other then that you're gonna have to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Confab wrote: »
    Not a chance of this happening tbh, especially being Irish and the attention we've got lately in Australia. Try applying for another visa, but other then that you're gonna have to go home.

Or just chance his arm with a pay off? The DIAC dont know their arse from their elbow, ffs according to their figures only 4000 odd Irish are on 2nd year visas. Theres more than that figure gone illegal by now. I would imagine the Irish have always been the bulk of 2nd year applicants anyway, can barely think of any British or continentals Ive known who went for the 2nd year (pretty much proves how fcuking awful things are back home compared to the rest of Europe I guess).

Slightly related question, is it possible to get married in the country to a citizen if your visa is expired and you are currently illegal? Not sure tbh, after all you can still easily pay tax, apply for ABNs, receive free medical care in an emergency and operate bank accounts while illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

shane86 wrote: »
    Or just chance his arm with a pay off? The DIAC dont know their arse from their elbow, ffs according to their figures only 4000 odd Irish are on 2nd year visas. Theres more than that figure gone illegal by now. I would imagine the Irish have always been the bulk of 2nd year applicants anyway, can barely think of any British or continentals Ive known who went for the 2nd year (pretty much proves how fcuking awful things are back home compared to the rest of Europe I guess).

I don't understand your claim, are you saying there is more than 4000 2nd year visas granted? or 4000 + more illegal?

Ireland is number 3 on the list for WHV's, Irish people tend to have an older crowd coming over on their WHV, whilst alot of Europeans seem to be school leavers on a study break.

I found stats for the WHV visa here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/pdf/visitor/2004-05-to-2008-09-whm-wah-visa-grants.pdf
    anyone got any stats for 2nd year whv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Similar question that doesn't quite warrant its own thread:

My girlfriend's WHV expires on Feb 25th, and her cousin here in Sydney is due a baby around then, maybe a few days before. We'd like to stick around an extra week, maybe 10 days or so, to make sure we're here to see the baby, maybe help out for the first few days.

My visa's good 'til June, and with any luck I'll be able to score some odd jobs near here (or apply to Coles, for which I still have a badge, uniform, shining reference and 2 months visa-time left). So I'm just wondering if there's any way she can stay a little bit extra without, y'know, ending up on border patrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

passive wrote: »
    Similar question that doesn't quite warrant its own thread:

My girlfriend's WHV expires on Feb 25th, and her cousin here in Sydney is due a baby around then, maybe a few days before. We'd like to stick around an extra week, maybe 10 days or so, to make sure we're here to see the baby, maybe help out for the first few days.

My visa's good 'til June, and with any luck I'll be able to score some odd jobs near here (or apply to Coles, for which I still have a badge, uniform, shining reference and 2 months visa-time left). So I'm just wondering if there's any way she can stay a little bit extra without, y'know, ending up on border patrol?
    Holiday visa looks like the option, ring the visa department and see if you can apply for one whilst in Australia ..otherwise a visa run will have to do

Advertisement