Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these Kerrymen for real?

Options
  • 17-12-2009 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

This has absolutly disgusted me to my core, thank God for CCTV:-

Dozens sympathise with sex offender

DOZENS of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel.

Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended by Judge Donagh McDonagh in the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee. He had been found guilty two weeks ago of sexually assaulting a woman who was discovered by a Garda patrol in a semi-conscious state and naked from the waist down alongside a skip in a car park early on June 15th, 2008.

In her victim impact statement, the woman spoke of being “judged” in north Kerry, but said she was not sorry for telling the truth. Everyone in Listowel knew who she was, despite the press respecting her anonymity, she said.

“Even though my name has never been mentioned in the press, Listowel is not a big town and everyone knows it’s me,” the woman said. “I feel as if people are judging me the whole time. I’ve been asked by people I know if I am sorry for bringing Dan Foley to court. I am not sorry for it. All I did was tell the truth.”

About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom.

Before passing sentence, the judge criticised a character statement made by Castlegregory parish priest Fr Seán Sheehy. The priest had said Foley was always “respectful of women”, but Foley’s actions “gave the lie” to Fr Sheehy’s statement, the judge said.

Foley, who had been celebrating his 34th birthday on the night of the offence, had denied the charge. He told gardaí he had “found your wan” after he had gone to relieve himself near a skip at 3.50am. However CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area. It also emerged he had met her earlier in a nightclub.

Judge McDonagh said the offence was at the middle to upper end of sexual assault. He noted that little or no remorse had been shown, nor any apology given to the victim, “surprisingly in the plea for mitigation”. He ordered that Foley be placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Listening to this on Newstalk this morning, quite a disgusting sect of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Saw this on AH a small bit ago.
    I seriously dont know what to think. Its downright disgusting to think that people would sympathise with this "monster". How is she the one being judged when cctv footage shows him carrying her to the area where she was found :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

mayordenis wrote: »
    Listening to this on Newstalk this morning, quite a disgusting sect of society.

Heard the same.... baffled... just ill bred, ignorant ****wits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

that priest in castlegregory should resign over that reference he gave!!
    shocking that so many people can be so cruel & backward!
    that woman should be so proud she was able to get one more pevert off our streets, i think she should be given an award for bravery from our country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

_michelle_ wrote: »
    that woman should be so proud she was able to get one more pevert off our streets, i think she should be given an award for bravery from our country!

I would lay big money on this happening in any number of villages / towns all around the country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Heard the priest on Newstalk too. It's disgraceful, this priest coming on and saying "well it's only an alleged attack..." No Father, he was convicted! He needs to show some respect for this woman and for the laws of this country.

How must this woman have felt having to watch 50 local people queuing up to embrace this man?

And why should these people be allowed into the court in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

Doesn't make Kerry people seem very educated,does it? Shame on those people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Couldn't believe when I heard this on the radio.
    Sorry if anyone is from Listowel but these 50 or so men are scum, nearly as bad as the rapist.
    Also that priest is a moron and a hypocrite. He said he would have gone over to console the victim but he didn't know her. Dude should read his so-called "Good Book". What a state the planet would be in if we only gave a $hit about people we think we know.
    Christ is this the society we live in.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

i really feel like ringing that priest up & laying into him for what he did, giving a reference to someone is one thing but still defending them when theyve been convicted is sick, but what else should we expect form priests in rural areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

makes me sick that i come from the same county...

but this is a deep rooted attitude in a lot of this country...

when all those poor kids were being abused by priests/nuns... all these same type of people knew well what was going on.... its not just the abusers or offenders who are to blame in this situation as one poster already said... its everyone who knew or sided with these scum...

i remember the attitude of some people being the typical:

"a shure he's a bit quear - nod nod wink wink"

sick sick - irish society as a whole has a lot to answer for not speaking up for so long in defence of victims of monsters like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's now a Facebook group supporting this scumbag:

<snip>Removing links</snip>

It should be noted it's three women who are members.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Jacqui O'Malley has been named and shamed, what an idiot supporting him on facebook.

Truly disgusting behaviour - misguided loyalty, ignorance and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Joe is on the case , 1st caller boycott Listowel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

When I was canvassing for a general election candidate in Wexford in 2007, I recall the local yokels telling me that the candidate was "out to ruin the church", and that he "had no respect". This was in his response to his articulation of his personal experiences of abuse at the hands of the heirarcy of the Catholic Church, and his desire to articulate the plight of those who suffered.

Rural Ireland, has a truly backward side to it. It is parochial, and conservative, and fairly inbred (not in the scientific/biological sense). I wouldnt suprise me that this type of thing would occur.

This beast has got what was coming to him, in fact, its sad that he didnt get another 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'll not be going to Listowel anytime soon.

classybird.jpg

She's quite a catch. Lads, don't all rush at once now.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

oceanclub wrote: »
    classybird.jpg

She's quite a catch. Lads, don't all rush at once now.

P.

Have I been blocked from the group, or has it collapsed already ????

The guy was convicted in a court of law. He is a sex beast, who has no business being around women. He is a dirty low life. His friends seem even worse.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Have I been blocked from the group, or has it collapsed already ????

The guy was convicted in a court of law. He is a sex beast, who has no business being around women. He is a dirty low life. His friends seem even worse.

The group could have been removed already; I'm not sure Facebook had convicted sex offenders in mind for their Fan pages.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairy cake

oceanclub wrote: »
    The group could have been removed already; I'm not sure Facebook had convicted sex offenders in mind for their Fan pages.

P.

Might be worth a look on her own wall on Facebook too!

hairy cake wrote: »

I reckon her own page won't be up much longer either. Just as well for her, since I can't imagine her employer being happy with all the free publicity.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With regard this girls Facebook profile, I imagine the Gardaí would be very interested to see the comment "she better hide" directed at the victim of this crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Is she the girl that was on Eamon Keanes show at lunchtime ...is she your mans gf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

_michelle_ wrote: »

Hear, hear. Well said Michelle. Had to believe how pig ignorant and backward some people are in this country. Shame the judge didn't have the power to send that "man" and his supporters back to the 11th century where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have always felt that Kerry was a place sometimes as far removed from the real world as any place could be .After following this story it only confirms it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hairy cake wrote: »

Absolutely disgusting some of the comments on her page.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting some of the comments on her page.

cant open FB, what are they saying lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Crap like this
    In-Breds

HB

is she the GF that was on the radio on newstalk at lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Liam79 wrote: »
    is she the GF that was on the radio on newstalk at lunch?

Without having heard her directly say it on some of the live interviews, some of the other threads on boards today refer to her as "the girlfriend".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

facebook.jpg

Salt of the earth people...

See how many other women too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement