Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these Kerrymen for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seaniemammy

Oh the Lynch mob are back! Got civilised for a while there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Micheal1

Does anyone know, if an appeal were granted, will he have the same defence team or is it possible to change if yiou wish?

It is at his own discretion whether he chooses to change legal teams prior to the appeal. Most legal professionals advise against it as the new legal team obviously would not have been present during the original trial and will be reliant on the court transcripts solely and any new evidence which comes to light, if applicable. Perhaps this is not a bad thing for him, as ultimately, this is all the Court of Criminal Appeal would take into consideration when deciding whether to grant leave to appeal.

Raiser wrote: »
    He should change his defence - If he wants to pull this one off he's going to need to be represented by Matlock, Barry Sinclair and the A-Team......

Unfortunately for him, Matlock has retired, the Ateam have been disbanded and Barry Sinclair was unavailable to comment thus far!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Micheal1 wrote: »
    Is this privilege reserved exclusively for women? Is the fact that he too was 'clinically intoxicated' of any significance? And again, they did not have sex, because HE was too drunk!

If you refer to my earlier post, there is no question that she WAS NOT drugged. This was clearly stated in the toxicology report, which, incidentally, was not admitted into evidence either.

Yes it is unless a woman tries to rape a drunk man (wonders if this will be the basis on an appeal). If he was so drunk then it is an aggravating factor against him not a defence. You are suggested that she was too drunk to say no & he was to drunk to know if she said no. Again no defence.

I am very concerned at the way that our new poster has taken the supposition to a new level by claiming to have access to confidential information like toxicology reports that were not admitted into evidence & therefore submitted in open Court.

Oh the Lynch mob are back! Got civilised for a while there!

What appears to have happened is that the accused supporters have regrouped & enlisted or re-enlisted a new name. They also appear to be trying a new strategy of filling the board which is their prerogative. However this is an open forum. You may of returned here but please do not think that the people who find Foley convicted of a disgusting crime have gone away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hi guys... can everybody stick to the facts presented in court, and those that were entered into evidence. All that should be discussed here are the facts available to the public as presented during the trial, otherwise you are in danger of creating a legal issue in this thread for boards.ie

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes it is unless a woman tries to rape a drunk man (wonders if this will be the basis on an appeal). If he was so drunk then it is an aggravating factor against him not a defence. You are suggested that she was too drunk to say no & he was to drunk to know if she said no. Again no defence.

I am very concerned at the way that our new poster has taken the supposition to a new level by claiming to have access to confidential information like toxicology reports that were not admitted into evidence & therefore submitted in open Court.

Doubt very much if this will be basis for appeal. Your concerns are well founded and what they relate to will form a part of the basis for the appeal.

What appears to have happened is that the accused supporters have regrouped & enlisted or re-enlisted a new name. They also appear to be trying a new strategy of filling the board which is their prerogative. However this is an open forum. You may of returned here but please do not think that the people who find Foley convicted of a disgusting crime have gone away.

Invariably, what appears to have happened and what actually happened can present two very different scenarios... And ultimately, two very different outcomes.

440Hz wrote: »
    Hi guys... can everybody stick to the facts presented in court, and those that were entered into evidence. All that should be discussed here are the facts available to the public as presented during the trial, otherwise you are in danger of creating a legal issue in this thread for boards.ie

Fair point. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seaniemammy

I have no problem whatsoever with anybody giving any opinion whatsoever, whether it concurs with mine or not. The lynch mob I refer to are those who come on to ridicule or abuse those who question their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The jury asked to see a copy of the medical report. The report was read into evidence as the doctor was not in court to testify, therefore they were not permitted to see it, it was reread to them. There was no medical expert present to explain it to them and it was emphasised by the judge that noone should attempt to, who was not acting in the capacity of a medical professional.

It's my understanding the jury can see any evidence that they want, whenever they want. There would have been someone on hand to explain to them.
    While alcohol/confusion may account for her assaulting a female garda, can we say without a reasonable that this was the reason? Had she been prosecuted for assault, there would have been ample evidence to convict. Neither of the two ambulance crew gave evidence in court.

As far as I know there was nothing in the media/court case about this.
    So let it go and stop bringing it up, as boards could end up in trouble and nobody wants that. If this alleged incident ever happened then it will make its way into the courts. Then we can discuss it.
    You may be absolutely right that her being known to the gardai is not of any significance, just struck me as odd for 'a quiet girl who doesn't go out much'.

I am a quiet girl who doesn't go out much, yet the majority of local guards know me.
    They make it their business to get to know people/find out who is the son/daughter of whoever.
    Nothing odd about that.

Exactly.
    I have no problem whatsoever with anybody giving any opinion whatsoever, whether it concurs with mine or not. The lynch mob I refer to are those who come on to ridicule or abuse those who question their opinion.

I do hope that nobody on this thread will ridicule or abuse anyone here.
    As that only leads to trouble. Which nobody wants.

As the Mod(sorry can't remember exact username, know there is a 4 and a 0 in there somewhere!) said we HAVE to stick to the facts given in court. Anything outside of that is a no-go.

On a side note, seeing as this was all out in the public eye, can members of the public read through the whole thing?
    What is the deal with finding out about individual court cases?

*trots over to Legal forum*

Doubt very much if this will be basis for appeal. Your concerns are well founded and what they relate to will form a part of the basis for the appeal.

If any of my comment forms part of the basis of an appeal then I don't fancy his chances. If you consider my remarks well founded then you would see that, on that basis, he has no defence.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    It's my understanding the jury can see any evidence that they want, whenever they want. There would have been someone on hand to explain to them.

As far as I know there was nothing in the media/court case about this.
    So let it go and stop bringing it up, as boards could end up in trouble and nobody wants that. If this alleged incident ever happened then it will make its way into the courts. Then we can discuss it.

I am a quiet girl who doesn't go out much, yet the majority of local guards know me.
    They make it their business to get to know people/find out who is the son/daughter of whoever.
    Nothing odd about that.

Exactly.

I do hope that nobody on this thread will ridicule or abuse anyone here.
    As that only leads to trouble. Which nobody wants.

As the Mod(sorry can't remember exact username, know there is a 4 and a 0 in there somewhere!) said we HAVE to stick to the facts given in court. Anything outside of that is a no-go.

On a side note, seeing as this was all out in the public eye, can members of the public read through the whole thing?
    What is the deal with finding out about individual court cases?

*trots over to Legal forum*
    I would have assumed the same thing re the jury, we would both be wrong.

This assault was discussed in open court, it was in the garda statement which was read into evidence and no, it was not reported in the media. The media coverage in this case was entirely one sided and as I have previously stated, did not give a comprehensive account of the evidence.

Perhaps it is not unusual that she was known to all of the gardai. I believe what I said was it struck me as odd. I would not know the name of a single garda in the town where I live. I doubt if any of them would know mine.

As far as I am aware court transcripts are a matter of public record, and once they are made available they should be accessible to everybody.

If any of my comment forms part of the basis of an appeal then I don't fancy his chances. If you consider my remarks well founded then you would see that, on that basis, he has no defence.

You made reference to my 'claims' to evidence which was not presented to the court. As I courtesy, as has been requested, I will make no further reference to this, other than to clarify that this is what I stipulated would form part of the grounds for appeal.

As far as I am aware court transcripts are a matter of public record, and once they are made available they should be accessible to everybody.

Do you ask for these in the court itself...or are they kept in a library??

Or...?

I've no clue.

Do you ask for these in the court itself...or are they kept in a library??

Or...?

I've no clue.

Possibly on courts.ie? Not certain how accessible they are pending appeal. Will try to source information tomorrow and report back.

I believe that it may be more archaic than that. It may be a case of contacting the stenographer & paying.

I believe that it may be more archaic than that. It may be a case of contacting the stenographer & paying.

Quite possibly. Transcripts from the Irish Court of Criminal appeal can be viewed online, but I have not been able to locate same re Circuit Court online. My understanding is that it could be several more weeks before a transcript is issued in relation to this case.

I would not be surprised if access to the transcript is only granted to those with a very justifiable reason given the nature of the case & the right of anonymity.

I would not be surprised if access to the transcript is only granted to those with a very justifiable reason given the nature of the case & the right of anonymity.

Again, you may be correct. Not having great success finding information specifically relating to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Foley is a very great man.Youd have to know him personally like i do to understand.He aint the brightest bulb in the chandelier though,and was led astray cos of that.Pity nobody has mentioned the woman he allegedly raped has brought men to court several times before for alleged sexual assault and they werent convicted.I guess she got lucky this time.In listowel she is scorned at and rightly so

She didn't accuse him of rape and he wasn't convicted of rape.

He was found guilty in the courts and given that he was found standing over the semi-conscious woman, lied to a garda about finding her there and then got rumbled on cctv evidence, I'll have to disagree with your "great man" theory.

Your opinion on the woman involved is really not relevant unless you have some evidence that could overturn his conviction. As his legal counsel were unable to provide that, I seriously doubt you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Foley is a very great man.Youd have to know him personally like i do to understand.He aint the brightest bulb in the chandelier though,and was led astray cos of that.Pity nobody has mentioned the woman he allegedly raped has brought men to court several times before for alleged sexual assault and they werent convicted.I guess she got lucky this time.In listowel she is scorned at and rightly so

Stay in School and keep out of trouble Kid - Also its probably best not to pick your Heroes from the Sex Offenders Register next time.......

No one has mentioned any previous legal cases involving the victim because it would be illegal to do so. By that book you too are now a criminal. Even better if & it's a very big if, Foley got an appeal, your comments could rule it out as you have prejudiced ( pre judged !) the victim.

I wondered how long it would be until the next batch of Foley friends would appear here. Maybe you think that the decent people have gone away ?.

This is of course what you want for all of us to start on about this again.

*gives you a cookie*

Sssssssssh little one...sssshhhhh

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Foley is a very great man.

Jeez - Gandhi, Spiderman and Oscar Shindler must be shítting themselves.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Ah where do I begin............

"Foley is a very great man" - Very great Man !!! He's a convicted rapist.

"woman he allegedly raped" - No alledged about it, he was convicted

"I guess she got lucky this time" - Ya real lucky bein raped

"He aint the brightest bulb in the chandelier though,and was led astray cos of that" - He maybe a bit on the thick side, theres plenty of idiots out there, none more so than yourself after an idiotic post like yours, but i have yet to ever hear about anyone bein led astray to raping a woman !!!

Go back to your school books little boy, try and learn a little morality while you are at it.

This is of course what you want for all of us to start on about this again.

*gives you a cookie*

Sssssssssh little one...sssshhhhh

:pac:

I think that it is a good thing that these "people" occasionally re appear as it reminds them that decent people do care & reminds us that there are still some ignorant people in Listowel.

Also the standard of their posting says so much for their argument !.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Ah where do I begin............

"Foley is a very great man" - Very great Man !!! He's a convicted rapist.

"woman he allegedly raped" - No alledged about it, he was convicted

"I guess she got lucky this time" - Ya real lucky bein raped

"He aint the brightest bulb in the chandelier though,and was led astray cos of that" - He maybe a bit on the thick side, theres plenty of idiots out there, none more so than yourself after an idiotic post like yours, but i have yet to ever hear about anyone bein led astray to raping a woman !!!

Go back to your school books little boy, try and learn a little morality while you are at it.

If you're gonna attack a post (and in this case it's justified against wee Anthony) at least get your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ahhhhh....Its nice to provoke an emotional response once in a while:rolleyes:
    Yes,im a troll:pac:hahahahaha.
    And in case i dont get a chance to say it,thanks for the ban mods:P

Not a very good one though. I've seen a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not a very good one though. I've seen a lot better.
    how many years did he get for the crime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement