Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these Kerrymen for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

440Hz wrote: »
    I'm only carrying out a decision that was made higher up the food chain on this issue.

Thats Daft(.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

sam34 wrote: »
    "the other 22 counties"?? there are 32 counties in Ireland.
    Sorry ,typo error , of course 32 not 22
    what are you basing your assertions about kerry and kerry people on?
    Well for example, if you were to take your average kerryman and your average Dublin man .Now unless they are GAA fans (which most kerry people are ) or speak speak fluent galige ,you would probally find that both people have little or nothing in common . Yet both are Irish simply of course by being born on the same island .But that's were the familiarity ends .Assertions ? more my expierence of being around kerry people in Ireland /UK who do tend to think ie, your only one of us if born to two kerry parents and born in kerry . Staying with the thread reminds me very much like that of the southern states hillbillys ie, we look after are boy and damm what any outsiders think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Latchy wrote: »
    Well for example, if you were to take your average kerryman and your average Dublin man .Now unless they are GAA fans (which most kerry people are ) or speak speak fluent galige ,you would probally find that both people have little or nothing in common . Yet both are Irish simply of course by being born on the same island .But that's were the familiarity ends .

i personally think most irish people, irrespective of county of origin, have more in common than an interest in gaa and speaking irish. in any event, if you're right and these are the only two common areas, thats not just applicable to kerry people and dublin people, could easily apply to corkonians, galwegians, mayo people etc etc etc

Assertions ? more my expierence of being around kerry people in Ireland /UK who do tend to think ie, your only one of us if born to two kerry parents and born in kerry . Staying with the thread reminds me very much like that of the southern states hillbillys ie, we look after are boy and damm what any outsiders think .

so, kerry people think others are only really from kerry if they're born their or have parents from there? emmmmm, not entirely unreasonable... i wasnt born in cork, nor are my parents from there, so i dont claim to be from cork ;).

but it's a big leap from saying that to saying what you said about kerry people thinking they're the only true irish folk and that others outside kerry dont exist or matter.
    In many way Kerry is a seperate entity from the rest of Ireland .Some Kerry people would have you believe that Kerry people are the only real Irish people in Ireland ,as if anybody outside it ie, the other 22 counties dont exist or matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »
    correct me if i'm wrong but didn't something like this happen in kerry back in the 90's??

some woman was raped, and when she brought charges against the attacker the local community cold-shouldered her

i think she was english (which didn't help matters)

yep you're right...

http://www.irishelection.com/2009/12/sympathies-yet-again/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Interesting that this thread has proven once again what bigots the liberal urbane are. The 50 men responsible for shaking the hands of the man of convicted sexual assault are not that indicative of all Kerry people: were they travellers and the comments made on general about travellers this thread would be closed.

That said it is a disgrace but remember this:
    It was the randomly selected jury of common people like you and me who found him guilty based on all the evidence available and put before the court.

A randomly selected jury of people from Kerry.

EDIT:

Am not from Kerry, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Well said Asdasd, it's a diservice to this debate to claim that it could not have happened in any other part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

i personally think most irish people, irrespective of county of origin, have more in common than an interest in gaa and speaking irish. in any event, if you're right and these are the only two common areas, thats not just applicable to kerry people and dublin people, could easily apply to corkonians, galwegians, mayo people etc etc etc
    Yes I was applying the same logic to people from any county ,just using Kerrry and Dublin as examples and using the interest in gaa and speaking irish as one thing in common .But your more likley to find the kerryman thinking soccer is a foreign game then a dub but that's nit picking I suppose :pac:

so, kerry people think others are only really from kerry if they're born their or have parents from there? emmmmm, not entirely unreasonable... i wasnt born in cork, nor are my parents from there, so i dont claim to be from cork ;).
    That's the perfect sceanario if your from kerry , but not uncommon to other countys either .Like a rael dub will tell ya that both his parents were born a few hundred yards from moore street .In my case both my parents were from different countys and my siblings and I were all born and rared in another , so it's about diversity in my family to ;)
    but it's a big leap from saying that to saying what you said about kerry people thinking they're the only true irish folk and that others outside kerry dont exist or matter.
    Well to be fair I was quoting a kerryman I used to work alongside who had very staunch views about what being Irish was all about ie, like eating your dinner at a certain time of the day :pac: and being born in rural area like Kerry .He had imo a very clannish mentality but a decent ol skin in his own way to I might add

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

People, if you think this kind of ignorance is solely confined to Kerry, you should travel across the border to Limerick. Did you not all here some of the Limerician comments after Bishop Murray resigned yesterday?? Half the people interviewed on the radio sympathised with him, saying what a nice man he was, that he was blackguarded, etc. When in truth, he covered up sex abuse - doesn't sound like the actions of a ''nice man'' to me. Its not one county, its the ignorance of rural ireland and a few scumbags who will still stand by a convicted sex offender. Dont judge a whole county by the actions of a few neanderthals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hardly reasonable to liken support of a sex offender (which is despicable) to political affiliations and political support of non-criminals

Many in Ireland would regard expense abuse as criminal. Maybe I will be proved wrong & the people of Listowel will be on the streets to show their support - I won't hold my breath.

If the Kerry people are hurt by the criticism then prove us wrong. What happened in that Courtroom & subsequently on interviews & facebook is an abomination.

I often post regarding animal welfare & guess what Kerry comes 29th out of 32 in the dog killing league. If Kerry can't show compassion for a human victim then they are hardly likely to care about animals.

Those 50 men are all known. So will their local pub ban them ?. Will local shops refuse to serve them ?. It is appropriate to link this to the child abuse scandal as their are similarities in the way that people refuse to accept that one of their own is a sex criminal.

Listowel need to show that poor woman total support. Why should she have to leave to avoid continuing threats ?.

Maybe we should organise to travel down to Listowel and hold a rally of national support for sexual assault victims? I'm male, but I know I'd travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FC2009

_michelle_ wrote: »
    i really feel like ringing that priest up & laying into him for what he did, giving a reference to someone is one thing but still defending them when theyve been convicted is sick, but what else should we expect form priests in rural areas??

All priest in rurals areas are like this. Some priests in cities could be like him too. The Murphy Report was all about priests in DUBLIN.....a city.....not a rural area. I dont see what your problem is with country people???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

In many way Kerry is a seperate entity from the rest of Ireland .Some Kerry people would have you believe that Kerry people are the only real Irish people in Ireland ,as if anybody outside it ie, the other 22 counties dont exist or matter

As a Kerry person, I am outraged by this story & very saddened for the victim. I totally disagree with your comment about Kerry people, not even sure what you are basing this on. Most people are very proud of the county they come from and Kerry people are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Obviously not all Kerry people are like those 50 men.
    Sure there is a Kerry lad in my class and he is a lovely person!

This type of carry on (supporting someone who is convicted of sexual assault) does happen in other counties, just not so publicly as this Kerry case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Our parish priest(Dublin)did the exact same thing when a local thug(who I went to school with) was convicted of raping a polish woman in the grounds of the local church on a sunday morning no less, so its not just a Kerry thing

The priest trotted out the usual bs that he came from a good family,was a nice church goin lad and had A.D.D. and that the sentence was very harsh(think he only got 7 years)

It truly beggars belief that the church see's nothing wrong with supporting convicted sex offenders and is truly disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Athnion ciaróg, ciaróg eile perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Discodog wrote: »
    Many in Ireland would regard expense abuse as criminal. Maybe I will be proved wrong & the people of Listowel will be on the streets to show their support - I won't hold my breath.

If the Kerry people are hurt by the criticism then prove us wrong. What happened in that Courtroom & subsequently on interviews & facebook is an abomination.

I often post regarding animal welfare & guess what Kerry comes 29th out of 32 in the dog killing league. If Kerry can't show compassion for a human victim then they are hardly likely to care about animals.

Those 50 men are all known. So will their local pub ban them ?. Will local shops refuse to serve them ?. It is appropriate to link this to the child abuse scandal as their are similarities in the way that people refuse to accept that one of their own is a sex criminal.

Listowel need to show that poor woman total support. Why should she have to leave to avoid continuing threats ?.

sexual offences cannot be likened to taking the piss on expenses. to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

you, and many others, need to stop tarring all kerry people with the one brush.

50 people supported that criminal. 50. not the entire town, not the entire county.

the vast majority of kerry people are as sickened and outraged as the rest of the country are.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

As I Kerryman I am disgusted at the actions of all who lined up to "sympathise". How would they feel if it was their Daughter/Sister was attacked.

Maybe we should remember where Archbishop McNamara was before he moved to Dublin to continue the churches cover up of sexual abuse.

All vioence be it sexual or physical has to be reported and stoped.

There are no excuses

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Maybe we should organise to travel down to Listowel and hold a rally of national support for sexual assault victims? I'm male, but I know I'd travel.

If something like this was to be done the first thing to do would be to contact the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre and get their opinion on it. If a rally of support is something that the victim does not want it would be against her best interests to hold one. If the rape crisis centre was in favour the local gardai would need to be contacted and gotten permission from. I would feel a gardai presence is necessary given the tone of some of Foley's supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

sexual offences cannot be likened to taking the piss on expenses. to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

50 people supported that criminal. 50. not the entire town, not the entire county.

the vast majority of kerry people are as sickened and outraged as the rest of the country are.

That is not the story we read.
    "There is reportedly more support in the area for local man Danny Foley – who received a seven-year jail sentence after being found guilty of sexually assaulting the woman in June 2008 – than there is for her. "

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/sex-attack-victim-may-have-to-flee-town-over-hostility-108141.html#ixzz0a3bn6Ja8

There has not been a word from Kerry politicians about this episode - afraid of losing votes? Now, if a factory was being opened they would be jostling to have their picture in the newspapers but when they need to take a moral stand they are nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Now, if a factory was being opened they would be jostling to have their picture in the newspapers but when they need to take a moral stand they are nowhere to be seen.

There'd be more chance of a repeat perfomance by the 50, than that ever happening in Listowel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

That priest has stood down anyway, looks like the emails to the Bishop worked.. I blasted one off last night. If only the other 50 goons and others that supported the guilty person could be held accountable in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Taking the piss on expenses, better known as stealing our money gets the support of the Kerry people.

Demanding a hospital at the expense of the rest of the country gets the support of the Kerry people

50 people supported the criminal but that is more than those that have spoken out in Listowel to support the victim.

If the vast majority are sickened then it is time for them to act. Any protest or message of support needs to come from the people of the town. They should of already made it clear to the victim that they believe her & want her to stay in their community. Instead their silence gives the message that she is not believed.

Every one of the 50 should be banned by the town & given the message that they are not welcome. I have not heard one representative of Listowel daring to speak out. Are they cowards as well ?.

This is getting like the attitude of the Pope to clerical abuse. By the time that there is an admission of wrongdoing & support for victims, it is years too late.

More than anything else the victim wants to be believed & left to get on with her life in peace. I just hope that the appeal Judge gets a look at that facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Absoloutely sickening to think that this is going on in the 21st century. That priest is a disgrace and he should never again serve in any parish in the country. As for the supporters of that Monster they should be all jailed. The people of Listowel should make some kind of a stand against these sickos or else the whole town will be tarnished for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

We should all know by now to pay very little attention to what anyone connected to the church has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Have to say I wasn't surprised by the actions of the priest but still disgusted by him & his small minded flock of hand shakers. The publicity hasn't done the good people of Kerry any good either.

The jury convicted on the evidence and the judge sentenced accordingly.

The judge was spot on in my opinion. He rejected the priests character reference. He pointed out Foleys lies in court. Foley deserves every minute of his sentence and will rightly carry the label of sex abuser for the rest of his life.

As for the priest and his supporters of sexually abusing females, to me, they may as well be as guilty as Foley.

Well done to the complainant for persuing this in the courts. It was not easy for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

currythis wrote: »
    Our parish priest(Dublin)did the exact same thing when a local thug(who I went to school with) was convicted of raping a polish woman in the grounds of the local church on a sunday morning no less, so its not just a Kerry thing

The priest trotted out the usual bs that he came from a good family,was a nice church goin lad and had A.D.D. and that the sentence was very harsh(think he only got 7 years)

It truly beggars belief that the church see's nothing wrong with supporting convicted sex offenders and is truly disgusting.

have you got a link to this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Have to say I wasn't surprised by the actions of the priest but still disgusted by him & his small minded flock of hand shakers. The publicity hasn't done the good people of Kerry any good either.

The jury convicted on the evidence and the judge sentenced accordingly.

The judge was spot on in my opinion. He rejected the priests character reference. He pointed out Foleys lies in court. Foley deserves every minute of his sentence and will rightly carry the label of sex abuser for the rest of his life.

As for the priest and his supporters of sexually abusing females, to me, they may as well be as guilty as Foley.

Well done to the complainant for persuing this in the courts. It was not easy for her.

In fairness they weren't his flock of anything he said on the radio that the mother of the fella had asked him to go down and shake his hand and she had asked alot of people to go down.

he should have made an excuse and not done it that was his first mistake the second was going on national radio and defending the action. He should have said there and then that he should not have done it in front of the victim. He seemed to be completely oblivious to what going down to a convicted sex offender and shaking his hand might look like to the victim. he appears to be a bit of a muppet more than anything else.

Every one of those men should apologise to the victim.

this story made the papers again this weekend with journalist going to listowel and asking people what they thought. Worryingly most people supported the guy, it was not an isolated gesture by a group of relatives.

Banjo ownership in and around listowel must be a lot higher than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Not everyone in Listowel supports him. He is a scumbag. He has more vocal support without a doubt BUT NOT EVERYONE SUPPORTS HIM. I personally think she was so brave to speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

have you got a link to this story?

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

It's irrelevant where this happened. Such attitudes are widespread throughout Ireland and focussing on Kerry only distracts from the real issue.

Talk about what these people did, not where. It's happening all over this screwed-up little country.

Who remembers Anne Lovett?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement