Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 17-12-2009 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Basics:
    Motherboard: Intel Extreme DX48Bt2
    Ram: Cosair xms3 DDr3 2x2GB & Corsair intel Extreme DDr3 2x1GB
    GPU: HD 4870

Problem:
    week1:Update to latest bios all worked fine.
    week3: The night before the computer worked fine. The next morning I put on the computer and I get 3 equal beeps. This mean broken ram like wtf. So my first though I shouldn't be mixing ram "bloody new update" so I removed jumper then retry. It worked fine but during a game the pc froze. I restarted it and I got 3 beeps again.

I did the same thing and remove the jumper, this time I continued with the 3 beeps. So I removed the 2x1GB ram. Now I have all equal ram same make and type. The computer worked fine.

week6: The night before the computer worked fine. The next morning I decided to try the 2x1GB ram again because I believe it can't be broken. I removed all the ram. I tried the 2x1GB (1GB of the ram) it worked fine. Tried the second 1 and worked fine aswell. Tried both didn't work? I tried the first 1 again didn't work am like " wtf". I gave up!. I put in the original 2x2GB it won't work either wtf! Now none are working!

Result:
    I tried all the ram one by one in all 4 slots and I still get 3 beeps equall beeps.
    Is the mobo broken or the ram? It can't possibly be the ram.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have you got 2x1GB or 1x2GB of the Intel ram, your descriptions are a tad confusing?
    Anyway first thing to do is run Memtest. You can run it while all the sticks of ram are plugged in or preferably on each of them seperately one by one. This should tell with a strong degree of accuracy whether or not any of the ram is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I have 2 x 1GB intel ram. I see I would edit that thanks. I would try memtest but my computer won't pass post. I get the 3 beeps but I don't kniw if the ram slots are broken or if its actually the rams. Rams just can't break like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This problem sounds rather odd. Are you sure the RAM your using is compatible with your M/B. In fact can you post your full spec. Best thing to do at this point would be try and get your PC to boot with just one stick of RAM. Reset the BIOS on your m/b and try them one by one until you can get it to boot.

EDIT: I know its pretty obvious but you have got the RAM in the right slots? Putting unmatched sticks of RAM in dual slots (i.e. slot 1 and 3) could cause problems. Check your m/b manual to make sure where they should be placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

The spec is in OP. additional info:
    PSu 850 watts
    1 tb HDD
    Ram @ 1600 but mobo always shows 1066?

what else am I missing. The only thing I didn't know is about motherboards and compartibility with ram? Doesn't all motherbord e.g. ddr3 x48 work with any ddr3 ram. The thing is the ram used to work even if its not listed as conpartable.

Advertisement