Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote the budget speech - IBEC

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

incorrect, you are still just ignoring the actual requirements of the deal to suit your own views

Will miracles never cease—online services? Really? ;)

It's funny how we take it for granted that private-sector companies will do business on the web—it just seems intuitive and obvious. But when the public sector does something online, it's a "major new modernisation action."

just a reflection of your biased opinions really

you give out when you believe there is no modernisation and reform

and then belittle it where it does happen

its hard to know what you actually want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It's a great example of the inefficiences of our PS.

Look at Iarnród Éireann and wifi on trains.
    This is something private-run trains have offered in other countries for many years now.
    My experiences with the PS in Ireland are slowing turning me into a bloody supporter of privatisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Riskymove wrote: »
    incorrect, you are still just ignoring the actual requirements of the deal to suit your own views

just a reflection of your biased opinions really

you give out when you believe there is no modernisation and reform

and then belittle it where it does happen

its hard to know what you actually want

To me (and a lot of folks) modernisation and reform would be the implementing of new capabilities (online services as per your example) and the reformation/reduction/realignment of staff, administration and process from the old manual systems.
    The problem with the public services seem to be the modernisation of capabilities rarely means a shift to lower cost/more productive services, just an expansion of adminsistration, hence the percieved inefficiencies and growing cost of the PS.

Welease wrote: »
    To me (and a lot of folks) modernisation and reform would be the implementing of new capabilities (online services as per your example) and the reformation/reduction/realignment of staff, administration and process from the old manual systems.

absolutely
    The problem with the public services seem to be the modernisation of capabilities rarely means a shift to lower cost/more productive services, just an expansion of adminsistration, hence the percieved inefficiencies and growing cost of the PS.

then put pressure on the relevant people (i.e. our employers) to seek those reforms

• Advertisement

absolutely

then put pressure on the relevant people (i.e. our employers) to seek those reforms

Well that unfortunately was the problem for the lowest paid in the PS. The government dithered, the unions blocked and demanded compensation, the layers of management did nothing, time passed and the only option left was to cut the pay from the lowest paid.
    The public service (and the government) manages the PS from top to bottom, it is up to the people in that organisation to keep pushing for sensible reforms within that service, and stop the unions from pushing go-slows/halting reform or they will continue to be the victims of short sharp solutions (i.e. pay cuts).

Welease wrote: »
    Well that unfortunately was the problem for the lowest paid in the PS. The government dithered, the unions blocked and demanded compensation, the layers of management did nothing, time passed and the only option left was to cut the pay from the lowest paid.
    The public service (and the government) manages the PS from top to bottom, it is up to the people in that organisation to keep pushing for sensible reforms within that service, and stop the unions from pushing go-slows/halting reform or they will continue to be the victims of short sharp solutions (i.e. pay cuts).

the public service is a broad, varied entity but as long as Unions and Government ran the table nothing like that will be done

in one sense the reforms proposed would be good but it was all about savings to the pay bill; far more generla reform is required beyond just pay

the public service is a broad, varied entity but as long as Unions and Government ran the table nothing like that will be done

in one sense the reforms proposed would be good but it was all about savings to the pay bill; far more generla reform is required beyond just pay

Absolutely, but while neither side have the appetite to reform, the only reform that is possible to control costs is to cut pay, and next year it will still be the only option available (assuming mass redundancies dont occur) unless changes occur.

For far more general reform to occur (and to cut the chance of future continual pay cuts), union members (i.e. PS staff) must start forcing their unions to stop blocking attempts to reform and help to modernise the service in capability, process, management, administration and value for money etc.

Until that level of reform occurs (or pending the lazarus like reappearance of the celtic tiger ;)) the PS will continue to have cuts across the board, most of which will hit the lowest paid. Unfair as it sounds, they are also probably (no figures to back this up) the majority of union members, who's unions have also caused a large % of the problem. Therefore they are also in a position of power to help sort their own problems (to a degree).

Advertisement