Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's NOT open the new motorway

• 17-12-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

THE PLANNED opening on Monday of a €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to the Carlow bypass has been deferred by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

The move follows representations to the Minister from Kildare South TD Seán Power about the timing of the event.

Mr Power told The Irish Times that while he had made “numerous” representations to the Minister and to the National Roads Authority (NRA) on behalf of retailers and a particular petrol station along the route of the current road, and would have serious concerns for the pre-Christmas trade of these businesses, he was “not suggesting for one minute that this is why the opening has been postponed”.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1217/1224260838848.html

only in Ireland :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

is everyone in politics an absolute clown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

facepalm x 100000

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

To much power for one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Clowns.

The Nenagh bypass is opening today along a certain section. I am glad to hear this as that clown in Birdhill will have his business choked out of him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

never mind all the people trying to get home over christmas period, lets make all their journeys more dangerous, I wish we could take the 'tics' out of politics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Scandallous. He should be removed/arrested for corruption. That's any shred of faith I had in this government gone again.

Fúcking useless pile of clowns, the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Noel Dempsy really should be sent out to pasture ...he is the definition of "incapable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

In the middle of Christmas road safety campaign (driver tiredness etc flyers all around the place here) and with all 10year old cars being annually tested in case they transform into monsters and eat some babies, they have deferred opening a statistically proven safer way to travel.

With all due respect, eff you gombeen politicians, eff you...

peasant wrote: »
    Noel Dempsy really should be sent out to pasture ...he is the definition of "incapable"

Replace him with Conor Faughnan. He seem's to know it all.

*Implies facepalm. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I just emailed Mr Dempsey, thus:

Minister

I wish to object, in the strongest possible terms, to your decision to not open the €300million motorway, in Kildare, which is due to open Monday.

There are several reasons why you should open that motorway, forthwith:

1. As advised by the NRA, the road is complete, and the vested commercial interests of a local businessman cannot be placed before the common good.
    2. In keeping with an Garda Siochana’s and the RSA’s campaigns for safety on the roads, the holding of a proven safe road, closed, whilst keeping a known unsafe open, is contrary to public safety. I assume you have weighed up the likelihood of a suit against the Dept, in the event of a death or accident on the old road, during the period you deign to deny safety to the citizens?
    3. It is reported that the cost of keeping the road closed over the holiday period, is €1,800,000. This being the case, have you invoiced the business in question for the cost of his request ? If not, then given the current financial status of this country, there is no financial background that can justify the keeping of this road, closed.
    4. As a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, and a supporter of all good safety measures for road safety, then I find it particularly galling that self-interest is being put before peoples safety.

I await your response, and have copied my local representative to further make my point.

minister@transport.ie is the place to send a note to, folks, no point in preaching to the converted, here..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

This is hilarious. Unbeleivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Irish clientelism at its worst :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771562

See above thread for contact numbers to register your disgust.

I just sent the e-mail as well and said

^^^^ What he said! :D as the only line in the e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

derms.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wicklowcpl

I live in the West Wicklow area and use the N9 daly when travelling to Dublin. I also use this route travelling to Carlow. As far as I can remember other than the 2 petrol stations in Castledermot, which are within the village limits so wont loose all business, I'm guessing that the petrol station listed as being part of this is the one at Ballitore. I must admit I have used this one in the mornings for coffee, petrol & it’s excellent car wash. But this driver won’t be using it ever again, not even tomorrow when I will need petrol, or Christmas Eve when I always get my car washed.

My wife just rang she works with a woman who lives in Castledermot. The story from there is that Kildare County Council don’t want the road opened until March. They are worried that should snow & ice develop that they would be required to grit the road, and this costs money. This then asks the question, do they not have to grit the existing road in snow & ice? I think after the delays in the ice 2 weeks ago we all know the answer to that. Also as the cost of a road accident involving death was estimated some years ago at about €220,000, when everything is added up, how much does it cost to grit 27.55km of road?

Finally if the worst should happen and somebody does die in a road accident on the current road, and it can be proved that no engineering or safety reason kept the new road from opening, would the family of the casulaty have a case to issue proceedings against the Minister? Would this also then extend to the TD, & the business owners, who have now extended the risk to life of all users of the current N9.

It all makes me wonder if the N81, listed as one of the most dangerous roads in Ireland, may actually be safer, as at least Wicklow Co Co grit this road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wicklowcpl wrote: »
    My wife just rang she works with a woman who lives in Castledermot. The story from there is that Kildare County Council don’t want the road opened until March. They are worried that should snow & ice develop that they would be required to grit the road, and this costs money. This then asks the question, do they not have to grit the existing road in snow & ice? I think after the delays in the ice 2 weeks ago we all know the answer to that. Also as the cost of a road accident involving death was estimated some years ago at about €220,000, when everything is added up, how much does it cost to grit 27.55km of road?
    I though the NRA would be responsible for gritting motorways?
    Finally if the worst should happen and somebody does die in a road accident on the current road, and it can be proved that no engineering or safety reason kept the new road from opening, would the family of the casulaty have a case to issue proceedings against the Minister? Would this also then extend to the TD, & the business owners, who have now extended the risk to life of all users of the current N9.
    They wouldn't have caused the incident and also incidents don't just happen - they happen for a reason usually because of the driver.
    It all makes me wonder if the N81, listed as one of the most dangerous roads in Ireland, may actually be safer, as at least Wicklow Co Co grit this road.
    Gritting a road will only help to an extent but if people drive at inappropriate speeds when they know there is a serious risk of ice then it really is their own fault.
    However, motorways tend not to have trees, oncoming traffic, twisty bends, pedestrians, etc. so were I to know that I was going to skid, I would probably prefer to do it on a motorway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Please God, please! Not more hours of my life wasted in the hell-hole that is Castledermot!

Isn't funny that after all these years of the road through Castledermot having a surface similar to a ploughed field, that it is finally being resurfaced just weeks before the M9 opens, bypassing the town? Why not wait until M9 is open, so there would be less impact on Motorists and the residents? Are Kildare Co. Co. sadists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I work two doors down from his constituency office. I'd love to print off a facepalm pic and put it up on the window! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I work two doors down from his constituency office. I'd love to print off a facepalm pic and put it up on the window! :D

Do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hands up here who voted Fianna Fail in the last general election? Somebody did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Oh please do it. and take a pic of your efforts obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Also as the cost of a road accident involving death was estimated some years ago at about €220,000

Yes but most of that falls on insurance companies and the victim's families so happy days for the council !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I'm shocked the RSA have nothing to say about this.

For the 2nd time this morning I'll say that they are the most useless organisation in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

15,000 cars and 1000 lorries pass through Castledermot every day.

Kildare county council have deliberately dug it up until the 24th of DECEMBER

If every single one of those victims BEEPS continously to thank the people of Castledermot for electing Councillor Miley who was named in that Morning Ireland piece by Seán Power I think that would be a very seasonal thing to do :p

Beep early and Beep often. Then they might open the motorway.

(Source for traffic count. Page 72 of 275)

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15148,en.pdf Page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

EPM wrote: »
    Do it!
    Oh please do it. and take a pic of your efforts obviously!

Unfortunately too many people would recogonise me and the staff would too as I see them everyday....his office is on the main street in Newbridge! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

• Advertisement

Better if the group is visible to all...especially Dempsey :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The nob has done a U-Turn, its to open Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yop wrote: »

source?

And Hooray

yop wrote: »

Who says, that cnut Dempsey is in Brussels all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'll be taken apart for saying this, but i can see where the local businesses are coming from.

Having probably already endured the worst year in the History of the state, losing out on the Christmas business wouls probably be the final nail.

It initially wasnt meant to be finished until late 2010, so the businesses in the Area I imagine hadnt planned to firstly have such a shocking year in 2009 and also miss out on the best trading time of the year that same year. It was announced early 2009 that the road would open before the end of the year, however this has been no ordinary year.

We have to look at it from both sides objectively.
    Obviously coming up to christmas, there will be plenty of extra traffic on the roads and the Motorway should be Open to allow for this.
    However people can argue that people have managed the last several years with this without the motorway.

Also, Accidents will happen and God forbid that anyone should ever die again on that stretch of road.

But to suggest that the Government, NRA, RSA, Power, Miley, Gay Byrne and whoever else people would want to blame if someone was to die on that stretch of road until the Motorway is open is talking complete and utter tripe.
    People are in contol of cars themselves, they have god given free will.
    No one forces people to be bad drivers,drink drive or speed.

The current road is safe for Public use and is being useddaily basis on a

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

source?

And Hooray

Was a breaking news story on TodayFM there about 3 mins ago :)

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »
    I'll be taken apart for saying this, but i can see where the local businesses are coming from.

Having probably already endured the worst year in the History of the state, losing out on the Christmas business wouls probably be the final nail.

It initially wasnt meant to be finished until late 2010, so the businesses in the Area I imagine hadnt planned to firstly have such a shocking year in 2009 and also miss out on the best trading time of the year that same year. It was announced early 2009 that the road would open before the end of the year, however this has been no ordinary year.

Obviously coming up to christmas, there will be plenty of extra traffic on the roads and the Motorway should be Open to allow for this.
    However people can argue that people have managed the last several years with this without the motorway.

Also, Accidents will happen and God forbid that anyone should ever die again on that stretch of road.

But to suggest that the Government, NRA, RSA, Power, Miley, Gay Byrne and whoever else people would want to blame if someone was to die on that stretch of road until the Motorway is open is talking complete and utter tripe.

Will. those business contribute €1.8m over the next 5 years even to the economy, no way.
    Not worth it, whatever way you look at tit.

Will. those business contribute €1.8m over the next 5 years even to the economy, no way.
    Not worth it, whatever way you look at tit.

Possibly not, but they do employ peoples Husbands, Wives, Fathers and Mothers who are caught up in all of this.

The have christmas and the New year ahead of them too.

I use the road on a weekly basis and i have to admit its frustrating at Castledermot to say the least but if i thought that it would save jobs by leaving it until the New year to Open, i'd struggle on.

I have been a regular user of that road for 10 years now. I have never stopped in Castledermot for anything. If I've needed petrol (maybe twice as I usually fill up before I set off) I've gotten it in Carlow where it's cheaper.

I would imagine 99.9% of other people who were also forced to go through the town also never stopped for anything other than a traffic light.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I have been a regular user of that road for 10 years now. I have never stopped in Castledermot for anything. If I've needed petrol (maybe twice as I usually fill up before I set off) I've gotten it in Carlow where it's cheaper.

I would imagine 99.9% of other people who were also forced to go through the town also never stopped for anything other than a traffic light.

I dont think its only businesses in Castledermot, there is a service station at Ballytore and also Restaurant and Bar available at Walls of Kilgowan known as the Priory.
    There are others along that road also.

I dont think its only businesses in Castledermot, there is a service station at Ballytore and also Restaurant and Bar available at Walls of Kilgowan known as the Priory.
    There are others along that road also.

what about all the business that'll save time and money not sitting in traffic, Now their trucks are consuming excess diesel, delivering late to clients, have to pay for more hours than necessary.

what about their employees?

Two sides to every story.

• Advertisement

what about all the business that'll save time and money not sitting in traffic, Now their trucks are consuming excess diesel, delivering late to clients, have to pay for more hours than necessary.

what about their employees?

Two sides to every story.

How have they managed until now?

It wasnt schedueled to open until Late 2010.

I imagine couriers aren't depending on the Opening of the motorway to make or break their business.
    If they are, there in a bad way.

I agree there is 2 sides to every story, and i'd prefer the Motorway to Open, but the people on here with the Pitch Forks and and lighted torches need to calm down a little and take in every side of the story.

The RSA loves to take the plaudits when deaths are reduced but don't take any flack when deaths increased.

If anyone died on this road they would shoulder 90% of the blame IMO.

The RSA's purpose is to improve road safety, not to look after local traders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

How have they managed until now?

It wasnt schedueled to open until Late 2010.

I imagine couriers aren't depending on the Opening of the motorway to make or break their business.
    If they are, there in a bad way.

I agree there is 2 sides to every story, and i'd prefer the Motorway to Open, but the people on here with the Pitch Forks and and lighted torches need to calm down a little and take in every side of the story.
    That probably the ryanair effect...... Tell everybody that a flight from dublin to Liverpool takes 45 mins. Take off 5 minutes late, land 30 mins later and rejoice your still 10 mins early!

The RSA loves to take the plaudits when deaths are reduced but don't take any flack when deaths increased.

If anyone died on this road they would shoulder 90% of the blame IMO.

The RSA's purpose is to improve road safety, not to look after local traders.

Why 90% of the blame? Why any blame?

I'm not arguing with you on it, just intersted to hear your opinion as to why they should be held accountable.

This is idol talk now, as its been announced it will Open on Monday!

That probably the ryanair effect...... Tell everybody that a flight from dublin to Liverpool takes 45 mins. Take off 5 minutes late, land 30 mins later and rejoice your still 10 mins early!

Or the government giving themselves a wide berth, with their previous track record on getting development projects completed ontime.

Why 90% of the blame? Why any blame?

I'm not arguing with you on it, just intersted to hear your opinion as to why they should be held accountable.

This is idol talk now, as its been announced it will Open on Monday!

Motorways are far far safer than standard roads. The RSA didn't kick up a fuss about this (not that I know of). Their job would be to kick up a major fuss.

God knows they did when the Government said they wouldn't be implementing speed cameras.

i still dont see how it would or could be there fault if someone was killed on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

whycliff, this has been an ongoing argument at every small town that's been bypassed for the last 40 years and it's still completely invalid today.

Studies have shown that when a town gets bypassed, trade in that town actually *increases* because people don't avoid it any more. Previously if given the option of (for example) taking the N4 to Dublin to shop or going the opposite direction towards Enfield, people would go to Dublin because the traffic in Enfield would make shopping a nightmare. Now they go to Enfield because Enfield has been bypassed and the only traffic is shopping traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Em...I agree with the sentiments but I don't think anyone but one of us internet nerds would get the facepalm thing. TBH the idea is a bit 'facepalmy':o

I know one of the gombeen councillors who supported this, really is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

according to the radio the decision has been reversed, the motorway WILL be opened on Monday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement