Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just to reiterate how bad AlphaWave are...

• 17-12-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I know I've given out about this company numerous times in the past, and I'm sure I will again in the future, but I just have to make this note on here and right now, due to my currently situation / location!

Bascially I'm in the middle of the Irish Sea on a Stenaline Ferry heading to Fishguard. They have free WiFi on board, so I'm writing this from the middle of the sea right now (about an hour and half into the journey)

Just ran a speedtest:

AlphaWave, from my house, pointing to a mast : around 500kb / 700kb (paying for 1mb)

Middle of the ocean : just over 2.5mb (ish) nearly 3!

I'm sickened... and not by the motion of the ocean either!

Seriously, are they the worst Irish company / broadband provider in the whole of Ireland or what!

Phew... deep breath, rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm confused. You're saying that an ISP that can provide nearly 3Mbps in the middle of the ocean is bad? They are also giving you 50-75% of the stated package speed on your home connection. I don't think that qualifies as the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Sorry just re-read that... was a little confusing. :o

I'm saying that the 3mb(ish) out in the ocean is brilliant and I can't believe AlphaWave can't offer anything near that from a fixed(on land) / wireless connection where the mast is only up the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But you're on the 1Mbps package at home. Perhaps you should try one of the 2 or 3Mbps ones.
    http://www.alphawave.ie/?location=packages

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I asked them about that when I got it in and they said they don't offer it anymore. Not admittedly it was about 12 months ago, so maybe they have changed it. But I've constantly rang them complaining about it and they never suggested I upgrade to a different package or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

DanGlee wrote: »
    I know I've given out about this company numerous times in the past, and I'm sure I will again in the future, but I just have to make this note on here and right now, due to my currently situation / location!

Bascially I'm in the middle of the Irish Sea on a Stenaline Ferry heading to Fishguard. They have free WiFi on board, so I'm writing this from the middle of the sea right now (about an hour and half into the journey)

Just ran a speedtest:

AlphaWave, from my house, pointing to a mast : around 500kb / 700kb (paying for 1mb)

Middle of the ocean : just over 2.5mb (ish) nearly 3!

I'm sickened... and not by the motion of the ocean either!

Seriously, are they the worst Irish company / broadband provider in the whole of Ireland or what!

Phew... deep breath, rant over!

You'll find though that the link on the ocean has terrible latency and jitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

craichoe wrote: »
    You'll find though that the link on the ocean has terrible latency and jitter.
    Dunno how I missed this thread, just found it in a search, gone terrible again for me at the moment, you'll find that Alphawave has terrible latency and jitter too:
    Tracing route to 10.100.252.254 over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    3 5 ms 2 ms 3 ms 10.100.83.1
    4 1000 ms 855 ms 848 ms 10.100.252.254

Trace complete.

Usually it is the AP that gave the trouble, now it must be a backhaul link or something else, 32 kilobytes/sec from heanet.ie
    It's been really bad at times since an outage last Tuesday night.

6223781.png

@jor_el, I'm on the 2meg package by the way, doesn't make a difference since most likely you'd be on the same AP, and even if there are other APs they are probably all on the same backhaul which seems to be kicking up here at the moment.

Advertisement