Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caged peanut feeders

• 17-12-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a peanut feeder in a cage for feeding wild birds? The purpose of the cage is to stop large birds getting at the food. I would like to stop starlings from getting at the nuts I put out, not that I dislike starlings, i will still put out food for them but they drive away the smaller birds off the feeders while hoovering up large quantities of food and sh1tting everywhere...

I saw a caged feeder made by Peckers in Wicklow. It is made of wood and wire mesh. I am not sure if a starling could squeeze through the gaps but a crow definitely couldn't. One thing I don't like about the feeder is it is made of wood, IMO plastic and metal feeders are more hygenic and easier to keep clean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Here's something that might help.

http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/birdwatchireland/product_info.php?cPath=25_26&products_id=106

Think I've seen similar in Breffni in Dundrum, Dublin. I'm pretty sure they're not that hard to come by.

btw, lots of smaller birds can leave a fair mess too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These are really Squirrel Proof Feeders. I know Starlings can sometimes get stuck between the cage and the mesh, so a slight problem there.

I use Plastic, Wood, and Metal feeders and they are equally easy or awkward to wash. The wooded is well capable of taking a wash (it takes plenty of rain anyway). Wood would be more sustainable and eco-friendly.

Try puting nut feeders up on rubber bands. They bounce un-nervingly when larger birds settle on them and this usually puts them off while blue Tits etc are unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As long as there is something also for the robin who does not like hanging feeders?
    These are really Squirrel Proof Feeders. I know Starlings can sometimes get stuck between the cage and the mesh, so a slight problem there.

I use Plastic, Wood, and Metal feeders and they are equally easy or awkward to wash. The wooded is well capable of taking a wash (it takes plenty of rain anyway). Wood would be more sustainable and eco-friendly.

Try puting nut feeders up on rubber bands. They bounce un-nervingly when larger birds settle on them and this usually puts them off while blue Tits etc are unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Got the caged feeder, it works great. The coal tits were getting little chance at the other feeders with the goldfinches, greenfinches and starlings hogging them. Within 5 minutes of putting out the caged feeder, the coal tits were inside the cage and starting to empty the feeder.

The robins and other ground feeding birds are well catered for. I'm getting robins, dunnocks, house sparrows, chaffinches, collared doves. Nothing unusual there but good to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

E39MSport wrote: »

Can large birds still stick their head through?

I bought a bird feeder and extra pole from the above site and it is brilliant seeing the squirrel sliding down the pole after trying to get up it.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    As long as there is something also for the robin who does not like hanging feeders?

Certianly leave food for ground feeding birds (the question in fairness was about cage feeders). Our Robins use the Peanut feeders regularly.

I bought a bird feeder and extra pole from the above site and it is brilliant seeing the squirrel sliding down the pole after trying to get up it.

Not sure. Others here seem to suggest that the cage works well.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with larger birds. The great tits are well able for the finches and sparrows. The smaller tits pick their opportunities and also seem to stay up later allowing them and robins to get a fill before dusk.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Personally, I don't have much of a problem with larger birds. .

Neither do I. I wonder what people class as larger birds and why they shouldn't get fed as well. Jackdaws and Rooks can blitz a feeding station all right but others such as Blackbirds, Thrush etc are welcome visitors. Some detest Starlings but they usually swoop in feed, get scared by a waving arm after a while and don't come back for some considerable time.

Neither do I. I wonder what people class as larger birds and why they shouldn't get fed as well. Jackdaws and Rooks can blitz a feeding station all right but others such as Blackbirds, Thrush etc are welcome visitors. Some detest Starlings but they usually swoop in feed, get scared by a waving arm after a while and don't come back for some considerable time.

We put the dinner scraps out on elevated flat feeders for the crows. They're loving it.

Starlings have been stealing fat balls so had to resort to tie wraps !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say the Goldfinches are becoming the biggest "food hogs" in my garden (not that I'm complaining!) They're constantly there and there would be up to 15 of them at a time. Peanuts, mixed seeds, black sunflower seeds, all devoured. Some have figured out how to use the caged feeder but its still mainly Coal Tits that use it.

Last time I put out feeders (15 years ago) I never got a single Goldfinch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Corvids and magpies are what I mean.

Advertisement