Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ye olde SMTP authentication problem

Options
  • 17-12-2009 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I know this has been done to death but I hope my slant is sufficient to warrant it's own thread!

I know someone that is going to be travelling around the U.S. and wants to be able to send mails from the eircom email account on their laptop. Of course they can't use eircoms email server as it lacks smtp authentication capabilities.

So I came across a little program called Free SMTP Server from www.softstack.com. This little guy seems to do the trick when I set him running and I have the outgoing mail server set to 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

What I really need to know is how safe it would be to send emails in this fashion. I downloaded the program from Softpedia to see whether they have marked it as malware free, which they have. But I'm wondering where the mails go when they are sent. If they are passed through a server somewhere that may compromise the privacy of the sender I don't want to use it. Is there any way I can see the details of the path an email takes? Does anyone here have any experience of this program?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

h8red wrote: »
    I know someone that is going to be travelling around the U.S. and wants to be able to send mails from the eircom email account on their laptop.

It would be easier and make more sense to use Eircom webmail service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

It would if she wasn't adamant that she wants to continue using Outlook!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

In Outlook, she should change the smtp server to that of the ISP she will be connected with in the US.

Alternatively if she has a paid eircom email address, pop before smtp (i.e. authenticate before sending) works outside of eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

h8red wrote: »
    It would if she wasn't adamant that she wants to continue using Outlook!

ask her what happens if she loses her laptop? then remind her that webmail saves all your emails remotely, in the cloud so to speak...

Advertisement