Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just to add, since this is a new thread that there is another radar here with actually shows the different precip type : rain/snow/sleet (until Monday)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Very handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Good consensus showing the cold hanging around till christmas day so the lucky few with Snow lying should have a White Xmas

t850Dublin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Still only 2c in Ennis (at midday). Frost slow to clear in shaded areas. Sun is shining.

Hoping that predictions of snow in west munster over the weekend will bear fruit.

forkassed wrote: »
    Good consensus showing the cold hanging around till christmas day so the lucky few with Snow lying should have a White Xmas
    [/IMG]

Im not sure the Netweather ensembles are right for Dublin, if you look at the ensembles here the op run (green) is totally different : http://91.121.93.17/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Right here is a new one as things are now moving from the future to the present.

I like the new thread title :-)

• Advertisement

Im not sure the Netweather ensembles are right for Dublin, if you look at the ensembles here the op run (green) is totally different : http://91.121.93.17/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

So it is.. pretty much the same out to the 25th though.

Can you tell me how navigate to that link you posted?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have had some rainy, haily, sleet showers here this morning - all clear now. More importantly. clearnce is bring lower dew points with it.

forkassed wrote: »
    So it is.. pretty much the same out to the 25th though.

Can you tell me how navigate to that link you posted?

It's from Wetterzentrale, I just change the city name in the url to Dublin, can't remember where I bookmarked it from, might have been an old thread on here.

It's from Wetterzentrale, I just change the city name in the url to Dublin, can't remember where I bookmarked it from, might have been an old thread on here.

Cool, i can never find them on the wetterzentrale site with it being german and all, changing the name in the url works though-Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

British Met Office outlook - theres seems a lot of uncertainty for next week.
    UK Outlook for Tuesday: 22 Dec 2009 to Thursday 31 Dec 2009:

It looks likely to be generally unsettled next week with a mixture of clear or brighter spells and showers or longer spells of rain, sleet or snow across most parts. Some heavier precipitation is likely but across southern areas the precipitation looks more likely to fall as rain or sleet. Cold, especially across northern areas with overnight frosts and icy surfaces in places. Windy at times too making it feel even colder. By next weekend it looks like the unsettled weather is set to continue but with the main sleet and snow risk continuing in the north. Temperatures may recover to near or above normal in parts of the south towards the end of the period but more wintry weather may continue in the north, although this aspect is uncertain.
    Updated: 1200 on Thu 17 Dec 2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Sligo town, bright and sunny, stuck indoors for another 30mins so don't know how cold it feels outside but temp on pharamacy sign around the 9 c mark. Was 10 c a while ago but does anyone know if these things are accurate?
    Sky is mostly clear light blue.. odd fluffy white cloud (technical or what ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Bitter cold in aughrim co wicklow, raining at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

love this thread have followed all the snow threads really enjoy them :D

keep up the good work and here is wishing for snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

15-12-2009, 07:04 #276
    yansnow

Adverts | Friends Yea it's look really good the further we go it gets colder and colder,as lows from the artic moves southwards bringing a very cold north to northwesterly winds and lots of precip and from my point of view everyone is expected to see snow.back to the present now as I said a week ago I started a thread about snow this Thursday am still sticking with that am 100% sure the east will see some snow.

(i said that about 8 days ago and no one would believe me lol look now even they canceled my thread of snow potenial thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

yansnow wrote: »
    15-12-2009, 07:04 #276
    yansnow

Adverts | Friends Yea it's look really good the further we go it gets colder and colder,as lows from the artic moves southwards bringing a very cold north to northwesterly winds and lots of precip and from my point of view everyone is expected to see snow.back to the present now as I said a week ago I started a thread about snow this Thursday am still sticking with that am 100% sure the east will see some snow.

(i said that about 8 days ago and no one would believe me lol look now even they canceled my thread of snow potenial thur.

Woohoo! "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

nat00_weather.pngnat01_weather.pngnat02_weather.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

octo wrote: »
    nat00_weather.pngnat01_weather.pngnat02_weather.png

Not looking good for Cork......again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

leahyl wrote: »
    Not looking good for Cork......again:(

Keep the faith, this is gonna be a big one...I feels it in me bones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

doccy wrote: »
    Keep the faith, this is gonna be a big one...I feels it in me bones ;)

Don't forget the Donegal Postman was pretty sure too.... more bones talking ;) I feel its going to be good too, just not alot happening around here at present, to bright and sunny, holding out hope for next day or two though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Evelyn Cusack on the 12.55 Radio forecast, only mentioned rain and sleet for the weekend, with wintry showers following. Best chance of snow in these showers over Ulster. Doesn't look like there will be a widespread event. Those who see snow will need to be lucky, or in the usual favoured spots. Not sure about next week though....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I think todays forecast from met eireann shows how conservative they are ( and rightly so imo).
    For example they are saying tomorrows max will be 1-4 C and only 2 days ago they were predicting higher temps.(even though it was clear from the models that it was going to be very cold for many days now)

They w'ont forecast severe cold up until the last minute because of the inevitable uncertanty that they could be wrong and they dont want to alarm people until there certain.

As for the models I am slightly concerned with the latest gfs as snow fall becomes more marginal across ireland from tuesday but on the brighter side the breakdown is still uncertain in my opinion and it looks like it could stay somewhat chilly until christmas day.
    just my 2 cents worth.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Had some rain here in Maynooth, very small mixture of sleet in it but nothing worth talking about. When's this snow, s'posed to arrive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Had some rain here in Maynooth, very small mixture of sleet in it but nothing worth talking about. When's this snow, s'posed to arrive ?

the really cold air wont arrive until tonight so from then onwards I think precipitation
    will fall as snow inland and over the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Slight hint of sleet in the latest shower here but nothing very spectacular overall. Roll on this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is anyone else sick of met eireann sitting on the fence :P
    I just seen the forecast ,and all talk about "Scattered Wintry Showers and the likes" whereas bbc said heavy snow for northern ireland on sunday.
    Im more confused after watching the met eireann foreacst than anything ,bascially they are covering all basis by saying there will be wintry showers , which may mean there could be a bit of sleet or 5 inches of snow!

Hail here now. It's clattering down the chimney into the fireplace :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

To see what's down the road later today/tonight here are the Albermarle UK 00Z and 12Z soundings. That's the sort of airmass that will be advected in our direction, though it will become modified a little over the Irish Sea.

2009121700.03238.skewt.gif

2009121712.03238.skewt.gif

You can see the cold advection in between the two times, shown by the shift in the two black curves (dewpoint and temperature) to the left. The 12Z is a perfect snow sounding - small dewpoint-temperature spread in the lower troposhpere, both curves below 0°C (very shallow surface layer slightly above 0°C but that's ok).

The conditions for lake-effect snow along the east coast are there.

H850 temp around -9°C, so travelling over the Irish Sea (about 10°C) there is plenty of absolute instability (you need at least a 13°C difference between the sea surface and the H850 temperatures). :)

Good low-level moisture :)

Good wind speeds :)

Less than 60° directional shear up to H700. :)

More than 100km sea run :)

Let's see what happens

More soundings here (for the weekend have a look at the Faroes and Jan Mayen to see what's on the way from the north.)

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

At the mo North Dublin is in the best position for rain/hail/sleet showers looking at the radar a kind of a 'streamer' has formed NE of Dublin airport

Quite a long and heavy hail shower we're having here now. Still the same one from my last post. If there are similar conditions tomorrow with some snow, then it could get interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Medium intensity hail shower here now as that cold air moves over the Irish sea.

Some shower lines now developing.

We saw some of these lines last year that gave some heavy snow to places however conditions were a little bit more favourable and the cold had been around for longer but there is the possibility that if we can keeps this eaterly flow of reasonable instability until after midnight places could see some snow on the ground come tomorrow morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement