Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

It's fantastic that on a Thursday evening, the conservative Met Eireann are putting out an early weather warning that mentions "sleet and snow in many areas" for the weekend and next week.

The north is always going to get the most, but this is a good sign for widespread snow showers. They wouldnt release something like this so early unless they were very confident.

But its still missing one magic word:( - accumulations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The-Rigger wrote: »
    BBC Weather reporting 'heavy snow' for Dublin on Monday.

[IMG][/img]bbc.jpg

Ya i looked at this for Cork today and it said light rain - WTF! I was told on here though to take it with a pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Wet snow on the ground in citywest about 5-10 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

mad DIY wrote: »

lets be thankful for even snow! its been all rain and sleet till today..it is hard to predict though.

aaaww come on now mad DIY - positive thinking!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The weather warning that Met Eireann have now put out, justifies my opinion of them a few days ago. There gone from dry and cool to weather warnings. Too conservative imo. We certainly won this battle!!
    I presume they were hoping the 'modern era' would rule
    Poor Met Eireann very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's only an early warning, nobody has any idea of accumulations yet. Things can change very rapidly, only this morning there was just a yellow Met Office warning for the South East UK, now they've had to issue a warning for up to 20cm of snow overnight!

I'm not saying we'd get anything like that but these kind of conditions that we are moving into now can be hard to forecast beyond a few hours.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    BBC Weather reporting 'heavy snow' for Dublin on Monday.

[IMG][/img]bbc.jpg

But, if that prediction does play out, with night mins above freezing, would it stick ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Great news Rigger,thanks you have lifted my heart,Im in Kildare,but that is close enough to Dublin for a few flurries.
    Hubby said it was snowing a half an hour ago and turned back to rain.

leahyl wrote: »
    aaaww come on now mad DIY - positive thinking!!;)

says she who is up and down like a rollercoaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Showers will die out very soon and I think the Met have it spot on with the West and North only getting any proper snow over the coming days, we might get an odd flurry in the East to give a dusting but nothing anything more imo

The weather warning that Met Eireann have now put out, justifies my opinion of them a few days ago. There gone from dry and cool to weather warnings. Too conservative imo. We certainly won this battle!!
    I presume they were hoping the 'modern era' would rule
    Poor Met Eireann very poor

what do you think of the snow chances for later in the weekend down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

PFL wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Watched this thread with great fun last year. Wondering what are the chances of Sligo getting hit and any guesses to how much snowfall (if any) Last year was disappointing but we live in hope.

Thanks Guys.

Anybody any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

these kind of conditions that we are moving into now can be hard to forecast beyond a few hours.

so the Donegal Postman is a genius! I knew it!

Temp just hit 0c here in Ennis. Car frozen over. Clear skies.

It's only an early warning, nobody has any idea of accumulations yet. Things can change very rapidly, only this morning there was just a yellow Met Office warning for the South East UK, now they've had to issue a warning for up to 20cm of snow overnight!

I'm not saying we'd get anything like that but these kind of conditions that we are moving into now can be hard to forecast beyond a few hours.

Postive, must think postive.... Met Eireann are shifting in right direction :)

Edit 1 - uhh.. silly me, quoted the wrong post, that was supposed to be a reply to leahyl's post.

Edit 2- However, I'd like to see them shifting the snow predictions in a more easterly direction !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Looking at the radar it looks like their might be a small sleet/snow shower on the Carlow border there?

Just back from a trip from Bunclody to S. Kilkenny, via Mt Leinster,and it is indeed snowing up there. Turned to rain tho just as I came down into Borris, Carlow.

As I was getting near the transmitter gates on Mt Leinster I saw flashs in the distance which I thought were lightning. Turns out in was just people taking pics.

says she who is up and down like a rollercoaster!

Excuuuuuse me!!! I RESENT that comment!! Well actually you're right.....LOL!:D

Villain wrote: »
    Showers will die out very soon and I think the Met have it spot on with the West and North only getting any proper snow over the coming days, we might get an odd flurry in the East to give a dusting but nothing anything more imo

:rolleyes::mad:

Anybody any ideas?
    PFL its very hard to say at the moment its very marginal between snow and sleet as the fronts move south though it will be snow, I think Sligo could see a few cm's over the week but its very hard to say with any certainty

Anybody any ideas?

There's a good chance you'll see snow Saturday night if not before it.

• Advertisement

holly1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::mad:

My sentiments exactly holly1 - Villain should be BANISHED from this thread!! LOL!:D

Looks like there's more showers coming into Dublin on the radar? Still more rolling off Wales into the Irish Sea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

So odd to see Malin Head so mild, considering it is on the north facing coast.

99261.jpg

LOL sorry but years ago I was the same but I have learned you need to stay realistic or you will just end up in tears.

I think the Met have it fairly right but these can and will change, I remember on a few occasions where it looked nailed on only to turn to sleet and rain because of 1c difference thats how marginal it can be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

From the Met eireann forecast ,all one could take from it is there will be wintry showers over the weekend with the cold snap lasting at least till midweek.
    No word of heavy snow or nothing ,ahh all this hype and nothing materialsing out of it yet. :(
    Another letdown on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Villain wrote: »
    PFL its very hard to say at the moment its very marginal between snow and sleet as the fronts move south though it will be snow, I think Sligo could see a few cm's over the week but its very hard to say with any certainty
    There's a good chance you'll see snow Saturday night if not before it.

Thanks Guys

Remembering last year ye done a great job in keeping us non weather people updated - here's hoping for a blizzard for the Country.

leahyl wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly holly1 - Villain should be BANISHED from this thread!! LOL!:D

The truth hurts sometimes leahyl dosen't it!!!:D

holly1 wrote: »
    The truth hurts sometimes leahyl dosen't it!!!:D

Indeed it does Holly1, indeed it does...sniff....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowing here now. +0.9c

A

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Snowing here now. +0.9c

A

Wicklow seems to be the place to be at the moment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement