Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

is that a streamer in belfast ithas been there for a couple of hours now getting larger......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

What seems to be happening is that only places that are usually colder than most other places is getting the snow, ie midlands being so far away from the coast, and the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. I think nearer the Irish Sea coast, the Irish Sea is holding the temps too high. That precipiation that is falling in Kilkenny came in over the Irish Sea as snow to the coast, then over Dublin and beyond as rain, as is only turning back to snow when it reaches the colder midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Long time reader of this forum. Just to let everyone know Leixlip had a snow shower just there and it stuck to the cars. What are the chances of lying snow by morning in this area does anyone know. Keep up the good forecats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Cool, clear and frosty here, car thermo on -1.0c just 10 mins ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Good news.

They are the leaving the premium radar as a freeview on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ until New Years Day!

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Good news.

They are the leaving the premium radar as a freeview on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ until New Years Day!

Looking at in, it seems east Kildare is getting some snow action, as well as possibly some parts of north Dublin north of the M50...
    Looks like a lot of snow happening right now for south east England and London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

-5 & clear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mad DIY wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of snow happening right now for south east England and London.

Yeah there's a weather warning there for up to 20cm of snow by tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

holly1 wrote: »
    The truth hurts sometimes leahyl dosen't it!!!:D

"Proper snow in the West and North".

That is a truth that I can accept! :p

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Good news.

Theres quite a chunk of precip heading southwestwards on that now into wicklow and wexford and all showing as snow over the sea..
    I don't see it as falling as snow here with a dp after rising to 1.3c and an air temp of 2.3c
    wet sleet is more likely-though maybe not if it's as heavy as it looks.

• Advertisement

Also shows a huge ramp up of snow shower activity in the Irish Sea on the 20:45 frame, it almost covering the whole sea :eek: And as I type the 21:00 frame starts showing and it's fading again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can I ask why when it does get cold and conditions are generally right for snow, why the south east coast (Waterford to be exact) rarely gets snow thats lies on the ground and accumulates? The last heavy snow I remember in this area fell around 14 years ago.

Is it because we are too close to the coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

"Proper snow in the West and North".

That is a truth that I can accept! :p

You're 'treading on very thin ice' deep easterly! LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

strange met office issued a severe weather warning for snow in north and west, but then in their forcast all they mention is rain developing and wintry showers?

snaps wrote: »
    strange met office issued a severe weather warning for snow in north and west, but then in their forcast all they mention is rain developing and wintry showers?

strange indeed - must take a look at forecast on rte in a few minutes maybe we'll get a clearer picture then:)

Looks like a snowfest in Ipswich right now....webcam : http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/information/webcam/

That rain today thing must be in FI, finally showed a blob of red over me, but absolutely nothing has happened :mad: not even rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

snaps wrote: »

don't think it was a severe weather warning...just an early advance one!
    plus they like to cover all their angles - rain/hail/sleet and snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here are the aviation forecasts for the next 18 hours.

Dublin Airport TAF calls for snow showers overnight until 9am, freezing fog from 2-8am, and sleet showers from 10am-12pm

EIDW 171700Z 1718/1818 02006KT 9999 SCT008 BKN020
    TEMPO 1718/1809 3000 SHSN BKN006 BKN016CB
    TEMPO 1802/1808 0400 FZFG BKN001
    TEMPO 1810/1812 SHRASN SCT020CB

Belfast Aldergrove have a very low chance of snow showers
    up to 15Z tomorrow

AMD EGAA 172048Z 1720/1818 02010KT 9999 SCT025 TEMPO 1720/1724 5000 SHRASN BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 1800/1815 6000 -SHSN -SHRASN BKN011=

Cork, Shannon, Knock, - freezing fog
    EICK 171700Z 1718/1818 36008KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1802/1810 0200 FZFG BKN001=

EINN 171700Z 1718/1818 36004KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1800/1810 0400 FZFG BKN001=

EIKN 171700Z 1718/1818 02004KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1800/1810 0200 FZFG BKN001=

And no snow for the regional airports...

Local Area Forecasts

(GALWAY (CARNMORE))EICM LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 171500/172400 WIND 02008 VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NIL CLOUD SCT030 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(DONEGAL)EIDL LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 171500/172400 WIND 08008 VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NIL CLOUD BKN030 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(KERRY (FARRANFORE))EIKY LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 171500/172400 WIND 06007 VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NIL CLOUD SCT018 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(SLIGO)EISG LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 172000/180500 WIND 04005 VISIBILITY 9999 TEMPO 0206 0300 WEATHER NIL TEMPO FZFG CLOUD SCT030 TEMPO BKN001 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(WATERFORD)EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 172000/180500 WIND 02006 VISIBILITY 9999 TEMPO 0006 0300 WEATHER NIL TEMPO FZFG CLOUD SCT030 TEMPO 0006 BKN001 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Animalxerman

Not looking good for poor wee Donegal at the moment, Sadly :( I do hold hope that the Red Blob which is advancing westward through Ulster will continue to do so, But I fear it's heading south instead :P

• Advertisement

Is it snowing in Naas by any chance ?

mad DIY wrote: »
    That rain today thing must be in FI, finally showed a blob of red over me, but absolutely nothing has happened :mad: not even rain.

Any high ground near you? Could be over that.

Trotter wrote: »
    Can I ask why when it does get cold and conditions are generally right for snow, why the south east coast (Waterford to be exact) rarely gets snow thats lies on the ground and accumulates? The last heavy snow I remember in this area fell around 14 years ago.

Is it because we are too close to the coast?
    Location,location,location.
    Waterford while coastal is not on the seapath train of a weak north easterly.
    It needs a very strong cold easterly.
    It's also southerly in aspect so tends to have more of an atlantic maratime influence even in an Easterly flow.
    This is most damaging to snow potential at sea level near the coast.
    We have marginal conditions at the moment and an Easterly that never really gets going as 2 days of it is not enough to advect enough cold air westwards before we have more modified atlantic maratime/polar mix coming down from the north and northwest.

Theres a heavy rain and snow mix here now.
    About 50% large wet snow flakes curling and twisting about and 50% rain drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Not looking good for poor wee Donegal at the moment, Sadly :( I do hold hope that the Red Blob which is advancing westward through Ulster will continue to do so, But I fear it's heading south instead :P

Is thT doesn't look good for snow or the reverse?

Anyone notice the typo during the TV forecast there?
    "Tomorrowwwwwww" :D

Some nice giant snowflakes over Ireland there for Saturday night. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Proper snow falling here in Celbridge now (not that heavy though, but it's something). :D

EDIT: Well that was quick - lasted all of 2 minutes! :mad:

I really don't know waht to make of the forecast i just watched on RTE! Although Jean did mention about the front moving southwards across the country on Saturday night and that it may bring snow...!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It really is funny how a Met Eireann forecast they are just obviously not allowed say sleet and snow or snow.

They have to say 'perhaps even in places' 'over higher ground' ' with even the possibility'

Its like there is a gun over their head!

Best forecast yet though, there giving us an inch so we'll take a mile.

Any high ground near you? Could be over that.

Nope.

• Advertisement

Anyone notice the typo during the TV forecast there?
    "Tomorrowwwwwww" :D

Some nice giant snowflakes over Ireland there for Saturday night. :pac:

yes haha that was hilarious!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement