Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Encouraging forecast for the continuation of cold by Jean Byrne on the TV forecast just now. Tomorrow's temp chart looked fecking cold! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Another disappointing forecast on rte this evening. Sure, she mentions the possibility of snow as the rain and sleet clears on Saturday, but if they think there will be any disruption, it wasn't mentioned. I think they may end up with egg on their face on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The 9.30 RTE weather held back on issuing any warning despite the serious potential that exists for widespread snowfall on Sat night. I find this strange that our national weather service holds back on confirming particulars. Would I be correct in saying it's probably because things are still up in the air (excuse the pun) and are likely to change in the 24-48 hrs between now and then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Su Campu wrote: »
    Proper snow falling here in Celbridge now (not that heavy though, but it's something). :D

Ahh, so there is at least some truth to those red blobs on Rain Today:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mary R

Hello all! Newbie here..first time poster long time lurker! Firstly would like to say to everyone thank you, you all have made weather more interesting for me, have been following the last thread and the current thread religiously! Tho i dont have a clue about reading charts ect or anyway familiar with the lingo (yet) lol i always look forward to reading the experts view on them, my whole reason for posting is that Edenderry has got it first taste of snow (hopfully not its last :D) nothing major would put it as a "slight" coating of the it about 15 minutes ago! The shower lasted approx 2-5 mins! I just seen everyone here giving their locations of where snow is or isnt falling so i decided just to add a little bit of info for my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Encouraging forecast for the continuation of cold by Jean Byrne on the TV forecast just now. Tomorrow's temp chart looked fecking cold! :eek:

Tomorrow and Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday are all going to baltic and struggle to get to 1 or 2c if you are lucky.

Saturday may see maxima briefly reach 4 or 5c but thats a maximum and it will be cold after, we are heading into a really cold period of weather.

And we havent really had a prolonged really cold spell in a decent period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here now but it's freezing on impact with surfaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The 9.30 RTE weather held back on issuing any warning despite the serious potential that exists for widespread snowfall on Sat night. I find this strange that our national weather service holds back on confirming particulars. Would I be correct in saying it's probably because things are still up in the air (excuse the pun) and are likely to change in the 24-48 hrs between now and then?

Nothing's confirmed at this stage. Snow is notoriously hard to forecast even a couple of hours in advance. They're dead right

Anyone notice the typo during the TV forecast there?
    "Tomorrowwwwwww" :D

Some nice giant snowflakes over Ireland there for Saturday night. :pac:

Someone trying to give us a hint by any chance ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gonzo wrote: »

woah that'll be lethal in the morning - take care:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Another disappointing forecast on rte this evening. Sure, she mentions the possibility of snow as the rain and sleet clears on Saturday, but if they think there will be any disruption, it wasn't mentioned. I think they may end up with egg on their face on this one.

I didn't think it was disappointing at all. Just the right mix of "heads up" and "maybe". :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's snowing here at sea level right on the coast. (near Malahide):)

Very nice pure flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Snow shower here, actually on and off since 7ish, hanging around in places

Wicklow/wexford border

Mary R wrote: »
    Hello all! Newbie here..first time poster long time lurker! Firstly would like to say to everyone thank you, you all have made weather more interesting for me, have been following the last thread and the current thread religiously! Tho i dont have a clue about reading charts ect or anyway familiar with the lingo (yet) lol i always look forward to reading the experts view on them, my whole reason for posting is that Edenderry has got it first taste of snow (hopfully not its last :D) nothing major would put it as a "slight" coating of the it about 15 minutes ago! The shower lasted approx 2-5 mins! I just seen everyone here giving their locations of where snow is or isnt falling so i decided just to add a little bit of info for my location.

Welcome aboard Mary! Glad you seen some snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder if we will get some freezing fog towards dawn, would be interesting, that can provide a nice coating of ice that looks cool.

Think the GFS really light precip indicates this and has it lasting through tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Not bad for showers on coastal fringes eh? :D

lol yes, it left a little sprinkle of snow on the car.

A marker for the future.

I trust what happens normally, not Met Eireann in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

is the cold air actually over us now? or is it still to come in?

Mary R wrote: »
    my whole reason for posting is that Edenderry has got it first taste of snow (hopfully not its last :D) nothing major would put it as a "slight" coating of the it about 15 minutes ago! The shower lasted approx 2-5 mins! I.

Hi Mary,

Looks like you were singled out in Edenderry by the showers. The below shower did well to stray inland to you. I presume it travelled down the M4:D

99270.jpg

18Z GFS going for snow in the south/southeast tomorrow night. :pac:

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Good news.

They are the leaving the premium radar as a freeview on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ until New Years Day!

Looks pretty useless for the West though! :mad:

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

Going by the red blobs there was a large snow shower that I was sure was going to hit you, and then it just fizzled out into rain somewhere between the N2 and N3. Ashbourne, or even Ratoath may have got some snow out of it though. No snow there yet ?

LOL, this is going so fast WolfeIRL posted the blobs as I was writing about them !

what do you mean by south?! have you a chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

2cm of snow here on the ground near Kill Village ATM:)

Looks pretty useless for the West though! :mad:

According to RTE at 9.30 we (west) are lined up for showers on Sun/Mon, as well as a potentially longer spell of snow/sleet on Sat night/sun morn. If the winds change direction to N-NW we are in the firing line. Maybe you could get the number for the snow machine rental firm from the Vodaphone guy just in case things dont work out:pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

some guy here just got knocked off his push bike by a massive snow flake,

it was the size of a golf umberela ella ella ella

EEEK:eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

raintoday radar has a line of showers just about to clip the east coast off between greystones and drogheda at 2130, fingers crossed :D

I'm no meteorologist but that chart looks good to me!!

• Advertisement

our met eireann certainly don't rely on those charts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement