Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

The ground is taking on a white hue from the hail. Now it'll be gone in 20 mins but there could be some very tricky road conditions in the morning if this keeps up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

My temp has dropped to 3.7 here now. It was around 5 or so earlier in the morning. About 11~

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

squonk wrote: »
    My temp has dropped to 3.7 here now. It was around 5 or so earlier in the morning. About 11~

Your temperature @3.7?!!!! Do you have a pulse? Put a jumper on man!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Streamers starting to form in the Irish sea. I think if these are still
    around by this evening somewhere may see a little snow.

99228.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

17 December 2009 11:20

Today

Continuing cold today with top temperatures only 4 to 7 degrees. Many areas will stay dry with sunny spells but some wintry showers will occur which will be persistent and heavy in parts of the east.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Skies are overcast and darker over Dublin 8 atm. A hail shower has just stopped.
    Plenty of moisture in those clouds as they head westwards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Can also confirm hail shower. Snow level should be dropping quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

conditions seem to be good later on for lake effect snow :D with the temps dropping
    already a streamer of precipitation in the irish sea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sleet. Just had a bit of sleet right on the coast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

conditions seem to be good later on for lake effect snow :D with the temps dropping
    already a streamer of precipitation in the irish sea

Sorry to be a pain but could someone explain lake effect snow to me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Just over a really heavy hail shower in Dublin City Centre, has now turn to light rain but it has gotten colder also.

Hopefully those streamers contain some snow flurries !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

eskimocat wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pain but could someone explain lake effect snow to me please?

From wikipedia.
    Lake-effect snow is produced in the winter when cold winds move across long expanses of warmer lake water[or the Irish Sea!], providing energy and picking up water vapor which freezes and is deposited on the leeward shores [as snow].
    Further info

francosp wrote: »
    Just over a really heavy hail shower in Dublin City Centre, has now turn to light rain but it has gotten colder also.

Hopefully those streamers contain some snow flurries !

On the radar it looks like part of that band of streamers is falling as snow on high ground near Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Currently 3.5 Degrees here in north dublin, Light rain also.
    Should turn to snow by evening time as the temperature drops further.
    But it will hav to be really heavy for it to stick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm on the shower train! Rain/hail here now. 4.6c atm with DP 2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

JackieChan wrote: »
    From wikipedia.
    Lake-effect snow is produced in the winter when cold winds move across long expanses of warmer lake water[or the Irish Sea!], providing energy and picking up water vapor which freezes and is deposited on the leeward shores [as snow].
    Further info

Ah I see, I live not too far from Loch Gill in Sligo Leitrim Boarder, and often we seem to have slightly colder weather than down the road a couple of miles. We could have lots of frost, ice or snow and a couple of miles towards town, there can be little or nothing! That explains it....thumps head with hand... RIght! thanks Jackie Chan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sleety hail here now as the irish sea beats to live. It can be a little beauty at times and thinks are going in the right direction definately, the activity is reasonable.

Were going through a reasonabley fast temperature decrease at 850hpa with temperatures dropping from around -3c to around -10 - -11c tonight.

Meanwhile heavy hail contiues here quite reasonle chunks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

not even a shower here in Dalkey, too far South of the 'Streamer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We will get it here on the hills in north Kilkenny later this evening or tonight, we normally do with an easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

:D
    Just to let you know it is bucketing down the white stuff here in East Kilbride (Scotland) now. We had a few light showers around eleven, but not enough to stick, but in the last hour it's really gone for it, and theres no sign of a let up.

So if the snow is coming in to Ireland from the north/north-east, then it's definately on the way.

Looks lovely but the problem for me is I'm due to drive back to Mayo Saturday night into Sunday morning, if the forecasts hold true, it will be hellish driving conditions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

This all seems so familiar. :rolleyes:

Another 'will it / won't it' stint of watching the radar. The most I've ever seen in north county Dublin during such periods of showers is a dusting. Most of the time, the showers turn out to be sleet / cold rain.

We really are overdue an unequivocal frontal snow event that doesn't come down to the wire. Really not convinced that this week will see one, but perhaps later in the winter if the pattern holds up we'll get lucky.

precipitation getting more wintry as the day goes on, was rain earlier on this morning now it's heavy hail as the temeratures drop, hopefully the irish sea stays in action overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The sky over Leopardstown / Sandyford is looking mighty dark and looking like it's going to drop something.

Sleet showers clearly shown on the Raintoday radar out in the Irish Sea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

precipitation getting more wintry as the day goes on, was rain earlier on this morning now it's heavy hail as the temeratures drop, hopefully the irish sea stays in action overnight

Ok, now seeing some very wet sleet mixed in with the rain here in Dublin City Centre, if temps keep dropping and the Irish Sea keeps whipping up these streamers over us I can see a good dumping of snow overnight ?

Again, I could be totally wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Remember feb last year we got about 4 inches in lucan, took hours to get home from the city though but was brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

showers will die out later this evening as pressure rises to 1025mbs

francosp wrote: »
    Ok, now seeing some very wet sleet mixed in with the rain here in Dublin City Centre, if temps keep dropping and the Irish Sea keeps whipping up these streamers over us I can see a good dumping of snow overnight ?

Again, I could be totally wrong :D

well all the ingredients seem to be there that it's certainly plausible and i think it might happen but i'm no expert, some of the other guys here would be a lot more knoweldgeable than me, i'm purely going on my rudementary knoweldge from school :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Hmmm looking at the netweather radar it's showing snow falling at the Dublin/Kildare & Dublin/Meath boarder, or is that just hail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I remember we got around 1 or 2 inches of snow here from this chart in 2005

Very similar synoptics as tonight, infact we have a few degrees cooler 850hpas.

Rrea00120050303.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement