Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What are the chances of snow in Navan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

snowing away here in Cabra :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

temp 4.6C dp -4.0C bit of light snow here

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    What are the chances of snow in Navan?

Have a look at the radar for now

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Longer forecast will be done by the experts

The pink blobs is snow. Looks like you just misses it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

leahyl wrote: »
    What?! Are you exaggerating now Fintonie?!

a wee bit, trying to keep the optimism going,

I remember in the early 80s on a Friday it started snowing about 4/5 in the morning and snowed for the next 24hrs non stop,

2-3 inches were predicted there were 12/15 feet drifts,

we were walking on top of the hedges cars buried for weeks the snow was still on the sides of the roads in may,

it was great we spent the whole day Fri out in it,

this was in Ireland by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

What are we expecting to see tomorrow, met eireann says there will be wintry showers of sleet and snow affecting the north and will spread further south during the afternoon and evening, how far south will they make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fintonie wrote: »

I remember in the early 80s on a Friday it started snowing about 4/5 in the morning and snowed for the next 24hrs non stop,

we were walking on top of the hedges cars buried for weeks the snow was still on the sides of the roads in may,

Wow that's amazing - unfortunately i was too young to remember that -actually prob wasn't even born - what year was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Wow that's amazing - unfortunately i was too young to remember that -actually prob wasn't even born - what year was that?

January 1982.

12-16 hours of snow, followed by a week of record low temperatures (-19c) so that everything froze. Nothing like it since.

Helen Curran just on RTE..

Sleet/snow for North and East tomorrow... Nothing out of the blue..

P.S. I would :D:D

ardmacha wrote: »
    January 1982.

12-16 hours of snow, followed by a week of record low temperatures (-19c) so that everything froze. Nothing like it since.

Oh ok 3 years too early for me!! Darn it - going mad i missed that now...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

January 1982.

Yep, I was only 2 but can still remember it. I have a couple of little 5 second clips stored in my brain. Probably explains why I've been a snow addict all my life :)

Here's a thread about it...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468647&highlight=1982

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looks like there is still more to come tonight !
    99284.jpg

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh ok 3 years too early for me!! Darn it - going mad i missed that now...!

Dad told me about that year. I was 2, there was no milk deleveries for over a week, he and his mates had to truck it down on makeshift snowshoes ( tennis rackets ) to the local dairy and drag the milk back up on a small pullie tied to his back.

Worst thing was that my brothers christening happened at the time and there where like 20 people in my dads house that couldn't get home. They where there for days..... Snow half way up the window... :eek::eek:

"The day after tomorrow" had nothing on 1982" :D:D:D:D

January 1982.

snowed for 3 days solid here that time with thunder and 10ft drifts on the coast.
    Up near croghan and the annagh area where mr boots posts from,the drifts were up to the tree tops in the woods thats 30ft high.
    Incredible stuff.!

Ok folks i absolutely must go to bed - i've been on this freakin thing for about 4 hours! Leahyl is sleepy:p

I shall talk to ye tomorrow - hope lots of snow comes yer way!

Over and out:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

snowed for 3 days solid here that time with thunder and 10ft drifts on the coast.
    Up near croghan and the annagh area where mr boots posts from,the drifts were up to the tree tops in the woods thats 30ft high.
    Incredible stuff.!

The type of talk that dreams are made of , will we ever see the likes again ?

maybe a freak event will come upon us this weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snowrisk.asp

depending on this for our weekend snow!

better be right.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Ahh " The Big Snow" - happy days
    I remember building igloos. I also remember Telecom eireann were blaming the big snow for backlogs on installations up to 2 years later!!!
    The governmet at the time said they are flying equipment in to deal with the snow, everyone thought this meant American style snow plows, they bought a few skidoos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    What are we expecting to see tomorrow, met eireann says there will be wintry showers of sleet and snow affecting the north and will spread further south during the afternoon and evening, how far south will they make it?

i'd say a few should make it as far as you, but the bulk of the showers will likely be in north connacht and ulster

Incredible stuff.!

yeah I was thinking it was more than 16hrs, it was mad watching the few cars which did venture out in it when it first started with the chains on there tyres.

• Advertisement

heavy snow here now.
    proper dry stuff in a strong wind.

pauldry wrote: »
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snowrisk.asp

depending on this for our weekend snow!

better be right.;)

Would be tasty alrite if that provided ,

better of looking into a bush than looking at these things , hence the wink !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irish chumley

have been hammered here in essex uk with heavy snow since just after 9pm - must be few inches by now!

yeah I was thinking it was more than 16hrs, it was mad watching the few cars which did venture out in it when it first started with the chains on there tyres.

Can you actually buy snow chains in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

welcome aboard and nice 1st post:)

have been hammered here in essex uk with heavy snow since just after 9pm - must be few inches by now!

did you vote for olly;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Was speaking to my Aunt earlier this eve. She works at the prison in Chelmsford. She says the city is being battered. Was on BBC News tonight too.

Can you actually buy snow chains in Ireland ?

im not sure but there was a few cars on the roads in the first 4/5 hrs with the chains on,

then it was time to take out the snow mobiles (dont know how to spell that) jasus it would of been some crack if we had a few of them back then,

you would never drive a quad after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

spadder wrote: »
    Ahh " The Big Snow" - happy days
    I remember building igloos. I also remember Telecom eireann were blaming the big snow for backlogs on installations up to 2 years later!!!
    The governmet at the time said they are flying equipment in to deal with the snow, everyone thought this meant American style snow plows, they bought a few skidoos!!

I think that i remember that one... i was only little but i remember counting all the cars that couldn't make the crossroads beside our house and reporting to mum when another one went in, there was a whole line of them at one stage, all ditched into the field in a row... mental. We had fishbox sleigh and had mad fun on the main road which was closed for days and days... North west Donegal, right beside the sea, it was mental!! coolest thing i ever saw. Ah the good old days. Away for past 7 hours and have missed something like 30 odd pages!!! sugar! anyway road from Ballymote to Dromahair very frosty, its -2 here in Dromahair. Starry night.

• Advertisement

yeah,bus eireann or cie as they were then had chains on their wheels when they got going again down this way.

Still snowing here
    currently 1.8/-0.8c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement