Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

heavy snow here now.
    proper dry stuff in a strong wind.

is it sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

So, this is what to expect, yeah?

EDIT: Ow! I had to uncross my fingers to post that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

i'd say a few should make it as far as you, but the bulk of the showers will likely be in north connacht and ulster
    Thanks nacho, would be nice to see some flakes tomorrow, but if I don't I hope to see some over the weekend.

is it sticking?
    stopped now but yes it was starting to stick on the trees ,car and windows..
    Interestingly it's brought a sub zero dewpoint with it so colder air is arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

F-Stop wrote: »
    So, this is what to expect, yeah?

EDIT: Ow! I had to uncross my fingers to post that.

nice clip thanks for that, to be honest people didnt want to see snow for a long time after that, it caused a lot of mjor problems,

by the way was that cat in foal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

francosp wrote: »
    Have a look at the radar for now

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Longer forecast will be done by the experts

The pink blobs is snow. Looks like you just misses it for now.

Thats it im movin to England....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

fintonie wrote: »
    im not sure but there was a few cars on the roads in the first 4/5 hrs with the chains on,

then it was time to take out the snow mobiles (dont know how to spell that) jasus it would of been some crack if we had a few of them back then,

you would never drive a quad after it.

We used to have a farm up Catty Gallagherso dad had chains for the van. Now sis has them on the jeep as school is up the mountains - doubt she be opening tomo or before christmas if anything comes in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like mainly southern edge of dublin, wicklow and wexford will see snow tonight, I thik the Isle of Man is stopping the showers for us in Meath and Louth:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

smashey wrote: »
    Chin up. :D I've just driven back from Dublin and there is white stuff laying on the road between Aughnacloy and Omagh. It's on the way. ;)

Good stuff, we seem to be missing out tonight but the weekends looks good.
    leahyl wrote: »
    "oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful..........................and since we've no place to go...................................................................................LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW!":D

:cool:

I remember 82 as well. I was near Donegal Town then with a great brae a 100 yards away! Only thing was the main road to Killybegs was at the bottom!

How there wasn't broken bones from those sleighs I don't know!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Right all, gotta turn it,, will be on in morning to see how things are fairing out and if the snow does come north as promised. ;)
    Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

fintonie wrote: »
    nice clip thanks for that, to be honest people didnt want to see snow for a long time after that, it caused a lot of mjor problems,

by the way was that cat in foal.

I found that back in february - I've nothing to do with it so I don't know about any cats conditions, officer :D

I was only 8 back in 82, so I remember it vividly. Things look interesting for the next few days, but I'm hoping if it's this interesting now it'll be awesome late Jan early Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yes! :D Light snow in Malahide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;):)
    Alicat wrote: »
    Yes! :D Light snow in Malahide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some thoughts about where and when people might see snow.

From Dublin south to Wexford, the depth of cold air tonight and early Friday is slowly increasing, should make for some localized 3-6 inch falls mainly a little above 100m asl on east-facing slopes but with heavier showers, right down to sea level. There appears to be a well-organized area of sea effect crossing northern England that could seed an event for southeast Ireland after 0300h tonight.

Then things will likely quiet down on Saturday until the mid-afternoon frontal trough arrives in the north. This seems to have just enough depth of cold air and speed across open waters of the North Atlantic to promise possible blizzard-like snowfalls on Saturday evening and overnight in parts of Connacht and Ulster. Once again, it would help to be inland and up above 100m to offset the low-level warming effects of the 8-10 C waters. This may consist of bands of very heavy mixed precip with hail and snow pellets included, and some thunder too. This will be blizzard like more for the wind blowing it around than for overall amounts which might be generally 2-6 inches where it sticks.

The Sunday situation remains promising but with the slackening of the gradient and modification of the thickness pattern, there may tend to be a gradual upswing in the rain component of mixed showers, at least near sea level. Throughout this part of the cold spell, the north and northwest are favoured but it could snow almost anywhere.

Then there's the more iffy situation with stalled low pressure being over-run by mild southerly winds heading for southern England around Tues-Wed according to latest models. This could turn out okay for snow in central Ireland for a time.

Should be a fun few days anyway, I think almost all of Ireland will see at least a bit of snow and some places will get a good covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Had a look out the window there and i see a bit lying on the cars, but not on the ground so much. So within the last 2 hours we must have got a bit of snow here just outside Carlow Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Should be a fun few days anyway, I think almost all of Ireland will see at least a bit of snow and some places will get a good covering.
    Thanks for that MT. Any guesses on whether County Clare will get much snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

From Dublin south to Wexford, the depth of cold air tonight and early Friday is slowly increasing, should make for some localized 3-6 inch falls mainly a little above 100m asl on east-facing slopes but with heavier showers, right down to sea level. There appears to be a well-organized area of sea effect crossing northern England that could seed an event for southeast Ireland after 0300h tonight.

Then things will likely quiet down on Saturday until the mid-afternoon frontal trough arrives in the north. This seems to have just enough depth of cold air and speed across open waters of the North Atlantic to promise possible blizzard-like snowfalls on Saturday evening and overnight in parts of Connacht and Ulster. Once again, it would help to be inland and up above 100m to offset the low-level warming effects of the 8-10 C waters. This may consist of bands of very heavy mixed precip with hail and snow pellets included, and some thunder too. This will be blizzard like more for the wind blowing it around than for overall amounts which might be generally 2-6 inches where it sticks.

The Sunday situation remains promising but with the slackening of the gradient and modification of the thickness pattern, there may tend to be a gradual upswing in the rain component of mixed showers, at least near sea level. Throughout this part of the cold spell, the north and northwest are favoured but it could snow almost anywhere.

Then there's the more iffy situation with stalled low pressure being over-run by mild southerly winds heading for southern England around Tues-Wed according to latest models. This could turn out okay for snow in central Ireland for a time.

The Guru has spoken...!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

There appears to be a well-organized area of sea effect crossing northern England that could seed an event for southeast Ireland after 0300h tonight.

I have seen this also, i am considering making myself a cup of tea and waiting to to see how it turns out. working all weekend, might be all i get to enjoy of snowfest dec09:(

yep same here,i have just cracked open some pre xmas budweiser.so hoping its worth while.fire nicely stoked ;) and some cool bud:)

krobo wrote: »
    I have seen this also, i am considering making myself a cup of tea and waiting to to see how it turns out. working all weekend, might be all i get to enjoy of snowfest dec09:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

thanks for that sir a well informed post and nice looking probabilities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Weather Warning

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp
    Issued at 17 December 2009 - 17:19
    Early Weather Warning
    A very cold spell expected this weekend and the early days of next week. Showers of sleet and snow in many areas, the northern half of country and western counties most at risk. Widespread severe frosts leading to icy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

no snow here in a while
    temp seems to be going from -1 to +1...not sure is that cos of windchill???
    dp is -2.5
    pressure 1004.5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

bassy wrote: »
    purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;):)

Think those Buds are going to your head! :pac:

Very very light snow stopping and starting :( Hopefully something will happen during the night. I want to see white in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

My word its been busy in here.
    been working all afternoon and evening till 11 in kildare town and came out to find the most beautiful sight i've seen since feb this year.
    was a slight covering and snow on jeep was frozen solid.

i've read every post since i left it at around page 2 today and i must say my rollercoaster ticket is certainly held firmly in my hand.:D

Don't wanna jinks it but sat evening and night looks like savage snowfest potential,i really mean that but still too early to call.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Weather Warning

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp
    Issued at 17 December 2009 - 17:19
    Early Weather Warning
    A very cold spell expected this weekend and the early days of next week. Showers of sleet and snow in many areas, the northern half of country and western counties most at risk. Widespread severe frosts leading to icy roads.

It looks like Donegal will be snowed in, so:)
    I just hope we don't have to send in a snowmobile to rescue you by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think I'll stay out of the ramping for Saturday night. I don't see the required cold air being advected nearly as far westerly as I'd like to see it. I think the Greenland High is building its momentum more strongly than some of the models are suggesting. Particularly GFS. I'm most hopeful for SE tonight really. Out of all the possible chances. I also get a sneaking suspicion that Tuesday will be an interesting time on this forum. That's all I'm going to risk saying for the moment, hopefully I was wrong to be gloomy!

could you please enlighten me more on your snow taughts for the southeast tonite,how about kilkenny tonite?.
    I think I'll stay out of the ramping for Saturday night. I don't see the required cold air being advected nearly as far westerly as I'd like to see it. I think the Greenland High is building its momentum more strongly than some of the models are suggesting. Particularly GFS. I'm most hopeful for SE tonight really. Out of all the possible chances. I also get a sneaking suspicion that Tuesday will be an interesting time on this forum. That's all I'm going to risk saying for the moment, hopefully I was wrong to be gloomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Had a light sprinkling of snow here in Carlow town! :D The temp is -0.7c and DP of -1.5c, clear skies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Yeah 2nd dusting of the night for Carlow. They are all too brief tho, again just covered cars etc, but never last long on the ground :(

• Advertisement

not a thing in kilkenny outskirts :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement