Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

paulhac wrote: »
    showers will die out later this evening as pressure rises to 1025mbs

Not entirely. Showers will continue overnight but lighter in nature and certainly of snow at all levels where they do occur. 850hpa temps approaching -6 around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

only the far southeast will see any showers tonight these only flurries Wicklow and Wexford will get them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Davo D wrote: »
    Hmmm looking at the netweather radar it's showing snow falling at the Dublin/Kildare & Dublin/Meath boarder, or is that just hail?

My advice dont use the snow overlay thing.

All it does is use the latest GFS output and compile the data into an algorithm whereby they believe the conditions would allow for snowfall, they do not indicate what is actually falling from the sky.,

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Hmmm looking at the netweather radar it's showing snow falling at the Dublin/Kildare & Dublin/Meath boarder, or is that just hail?

Hail and rain, with tiny amounts of sleet !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Radar here shows the precip type : http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Loads of sleet/hail over the Irish Sea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

paulhac wrote: »
    only the far southeast will see any showers tonight these only flurries Wicklow and Wexford will get them

What position do you have in the Met are you a meteorologist, just wondering!?

Yea i think showers will dy away to the southeast but only from after midnight and a few of them could still be around towards 5am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Shower here started as hail but now sleet. 3.4c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

OK, I believe.

White stuff fell here (Dublin 6), for about 10 seconds, with a heavy hail shower about 30 minutes ago, which started briefly with what looked like a heavy shower of the fine grainy type of snow particles mixed in, the kind that can accumulate stealthily if enough fall. Looked more snowy than sleety whatever it was. However, now raining. But looks good for tonight I think, as what I saw earlier makes me think it's likely the rain may turn to snow as temperatures fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Radar here shows the precip type : http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Loads of sleet/hail over the Irish Sea now.

Handy radar alright. So all of Britan is getting snow? *sighs*

DP has gone down 2 degrees here to 0 in the past couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

What position do you have in the Met are you a meteorologist, just wondering!?

Yea i think showers will dy away to the southeast but only from after midnight and a few of them could still be around towards 5am.
    I should be so lucky to have cushy number in the Met! I just live up the road from the Met. God, I could have pulled a fast one there and pretended I new something! I was reading the latest GFS pressure charts for tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Where are you maquiladora?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Where's "here" ?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Where are you maquiladora?
    Rougies wrote: »
    Where's "here" ?

Waterford (Not expecting much snow down here, but hopefully could get a few showers overnight) :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

-7 at 850hpa level into the East at 4pm.

9-7.GIF?17-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Snow falling in North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

snowing in D15 :D:D:D

Temp here is +3.8c and the dp is2c
    Some hail,sleety rain showers.

I've got my weather station up at a temporary location.

It's not going to pick up much wind where it is though at the end of the garden as it's got a hedge behind and beside it and a large grove of tree to the East.

but hey it's a start \o/

I'll see if I can get a pole organised when I've time but that won't be today or tomorrow.
    I do intend putting the wind vain on an existing 60ft mast here when weather permits.
    That will be in the new year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Rougies wrote: »
    Where's "here" ?

Time for everyone to put their location in their profile. (at least for the duration of this spell).

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Snow falling in North County Dublin.
    glossy wrote: »

Good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

glossy wrote: »
    lets hope it keeps up and pushes south along the coast im not holding my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

i must be missing something, i'm working in sandyford dublin and its cold outside and there was a little hail but nothing else???!!!!! what gives? i aint seen nothing yet, also my work window looks out over dublin bay and towards howth head and i see no showers/rain clouds on the horizon travelling from east to west???? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

I'm in a terrible position regarding the showers, just went down to the coast and saw Howth/North Dublin under heavy stuff, here just light rain/sleet. (Dalkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Heavy clouds above me in Dublin CC, however the rain/hail stopped about an hour ago and I haven't seen anything since !

Calm before the snow ?

Hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Snowing in Blanch, coming down heavy too, still very wet though....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snowing in Citywest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

nothing yet in ballymount d22:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whitemocha wrote: »
    nothing yet in ballymount d22:rolleyes:

its on the way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

sleety snow here! (celbridge)

*updated with just plain snow now :-))

• Advertisement