Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

hail shower in Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

mad DIY wrote: »
    OK, I believe.

White stuff fell here (Dublin 6), for about 10 seconds, with a heavy hail shower about 30 minutes ago, which started briefly with what looked like a heavy shower of the fine grainy type of snow particles mixed in, the kind that can accumulate stealthily if enough fall. Looked more snowy than sleety whatever it was. However, now raining. But looks good for tonight I think, as what I saw earlier makes me think it's likely the rain may turn to snow as temperatures fall.

******sigh******* so jealous.... there is a bit of cloud cover now in Sligo but temp in town staying steady around 9c.... *****no fair****** all i wanted was for little white things that look like this *****************! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

no more at the mo in D15 :(

here's to later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

poxy rain sleet now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Irish Sea is only starting to come to life now as that cold air begins to push westwards. Going to be a busy evening here... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here we go!! Snow and hail shower, the beginning of a fun night i think looking at the radar for the Irish sea :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

nothing in greystones, but there is a wind coming off the Irish Sea that would cut you in two!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Snowing in Celbridge :)

Its not cold enough for it to stick :( Very wet out too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

looks like netweather has collapsed again with the activity. there is a new chart at 3 30 right? hopefully it may bring us here down south some good news like those in the east!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Ah sugar, and i am going to miss it, off line for the next 6 or so hours and that i can guarantee you is when this place will light up!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Latest GFS a slight upgrade for tonight in the east in terms of precipitation. And slightly colder too. -10hpa easily in by the morning to the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Hmm, don't get it really. Saw what amounted to a brief snow flurry an hour or two ago which got my hopes up, but just been out and the Dublin mountains are still very much mountain coloured. Would have thought they would be showing some sort of a tendancy towards white at this stage if something was going happen in Dublin itself. I now fear the mountains may go white, but not Dublin. That last period of rain here in Dublin dropped a fair bit of rain going by the big puddles around.

looks like netweather has collapsed again with the activity. there is a new chart at 3 30 right? hopefully it may bring us here down south some good news like those in the east!

Its only just started to roll out but I've noticed that at 24 hours this new run has the cold -10 upper temps over more of the country, so slightly better chances for marginal areas tomorrow morning if there is precip about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well done lads ,

A great call on this event , even if not another flake of snow drops you guys were bang on !

I was going to bring the hounds for a walk in Newbridge , but feck my its freezing cold , even the westie put her tail between her legs and turned back for the door !

Temp 3.5c

D.p 1.4c

I look forward to later on in here , it will be great crack !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WISH I WAS OVER IN SE ENDLAND.... SEE ALL THE SNOW HEADIN TOWARDS THEM FOR 2moro!?!

SKY NEWS SAY ABOUT 2inchs at least! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Not a thing here in Waterford City, it must be the worst place in Ireland for Snow.

200motels wrote: »
    Not a thing here in Waterford City, it must be the worst place in Ireland for Snow.

Might be a few showers around late tonight, cold air and showers are too far away at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Are the tickets we bought for the rollercoaster still valid? You know all those non-believers will want a go of it in a couple of hours & there wont be enough tickets to go round ...........................

The snow event from the North on Saturday night is looking more and more like a decent event

gfs-2-54.png?12

gfs-2-60.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old glued to the window going "wooooow, snooooow"

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    The snow event from the North on Saturday night is looking more and more like a decent event

60 hrs looks even better. Widespread snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Haway the lads! got bet in there on paddy power for 7/4 for white christmas, 250 if it snows 1mm in dublin, really annoyed though it was 7/2 this morning, (hence bookies are narrowing odds on snow)...:)

Possibly for a few hours. Looks good on the 12z. Timing is better aswell. If it arrives after dark it's more likely to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

widespead precip, -8 850s, sub 528 dam, sub 0 dewpoints ... nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

just been out to my car and it has frost on the roof now in mayo! Its new frost as the car had sun on it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm baaaack! Oh my god there has been so much activity since i've been gone - so exciting! Had to go to a stupid meeting!! Snow for Cork anyone? How do the charts look for the rebel county?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Now the rain & hail has stopped, my temp has gone up to 4.2 with a dp of 2. Got back to the house about 3 PM and it was about 3.2 then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Elmo5 wrote: »
    I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old glued to the window going "wooooow, snooooow"

Soapy, warm water will help with that.... :)

These showers will be confined to eastern and southeastern coastal margins tonight and maybe a few miles inland too,but a cold clear dry night for me here in the Midlands. I will await Saturdays event, but I am not optimistic.

More hail here.
    Silly ducks outside have their mouths open towards the sky thinking it's meal dropping for them lol :D

Dewpoint has fallen to +0.9c
    Air temp is +3.7c

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

some cold spell this is the cloud kept the temp up at 5c and it hailed here instead of snowed i thought the cold air was here!!!! in dundee its snowing and lying my sister said!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement