Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

darkman2 wrote: »
    Latest UKMO is excellent for snow. Keeps us very cold up till Wednesday at least and sets up an Easterly wind again after the Northerly.

Just done a trip up to sallys gap. Stay away from the gap, cars already are getting into problems.

The road up to the hellfire club and up to killikee car park IMPASSABLE. Cars and vans are sliding back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Just done a trip up to sallys gap. Stay away from the gap, cars already are getting into problems.

The road up to the hellfire club and up to killikee car par IMPASSABLE. Cars and vans are sliding back down.

Thats brilliant time to bring out the jeep me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

first specks of red starting to appear in the next 'batch' of showers due (raintoday.co.uk). I expect the showers to get increasingly sleety/wet snowy as the evening progresses. Also, I don't think there will be as many showers as this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

snowy/hail in D15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Kippure wrote: »

The road up to the hellfire club and up to killikee car par IMPASSABLE. Cars and vans are sliding back down.

That because of snow, or just ice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Haway the lads! got bet in there on paddy power for 7/4 for white christmas, 250 if it snows 1mm in dublin, really annoyed though it was 7/2 this morning, (hence bookies are narrowing odds on snow)...:)

Ah sorry to hear man..... i got my bet in time for the 7/2 odds :)

mad DIY wrote: »
    That because of snow, or just ice ?

Snow, ice and hail. Temputure was minus one. also thick fog. Nightmare driving conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Great ! Confirmed so. Snow there is the first step to snow at lower levels:)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

just heard on the radio its snowing in roudwood.. no surprise there then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

National Forecast

17 December 2009 15:57

Today

Wintry showers will continue for a time early tonight near Irish sea coasts, but will become confined to north coasts later in the night. Otherwise dry with long clear spells. Very cold with a widespread sharp to severe frost, and the risk of icy patches. Lowest temperatures of zero to -5 degrees, coldest inland.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Friday will be a very cold day with frost persisting in places. Many areas will be dry and bright but wintry showers affecting northern coasts will spread further south into Ulster and Connacht during the afternoon and evening giving falls of sleet and snow there. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 5 degrees.

Met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

http://uk.weather.com/weather/today-Cork-EIXX0011

just to say im on the west side of england and they were playing it down for snow today at the moment there is 3 inches lying and not going anywhere

Looks like some snow showers lining up for Dublin in the 17:30 frame of the radar now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Looks like some snow showers lining up for Dublin in the 17:30 frame of the radar now.

yeah, is it just me or are the showers starting to come in from the east now, rather than the north east (like the last few hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can some of you weather experts give me an update on cork? Any hope or am I wasting my time?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest UKMO is excellent for snow. Keeps us very cold up till Wednesday at least and sets up an Easterly wind again after the Northerly.

any parts of the country in particular? or widespread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

whats the % chance of snow today?? (galway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

patneve wrote: »
    yeah, is it just me or are the showers starting to come in from the east now, rather than the north east (like the last few hours)

Yeah they started to change about half an hour ago, thought i was seeing things

leahyl wrote: »
    Can some of you weather experts give me an update on cork? Any hope or am I wasting my time?!

Not tonight I think, the showers are coming in from the Irish Sea this evening, Cork is too far away. You'd have a better chance in the days ahead if yer lucky :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I'm assuming that showers coming in from the East will have more snow potential consdering most of the easterly showers over the UK are indicating snow.

Roll on the snow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Can some of you weather experts give me an update on cork? Any hope or am I wasting my time?![/QUOT

For you snow snow snow I hope ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Not tonight. Maybe over the weekend you have a better chance in your area.

Still rain and hail here on the coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have to eat my words didnt think this snow wud arrive so soon, just home from college and we had a monster of a snow shower on the way home, the bus cud hardly drive it was so heavy but its all stopped now, theres way too much water on the ground for anything to stick for the moment.

Not tonight. Maybe over the weekend you have a better chance in your area.

Still rain and hail here on the coast.

Ya thought as much.....:rolleyes:!

Well it's only the first day of the cold spell, hopefully the first day with snow falling somewhere in Ireland every day for at least the next 4 days :pac:

Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy Hail Sleet shower just there.

We just gotta hope the Irish sea keeps kicking but we have to remember it will die out at some stage overnight as phase 1 ends, but enjoy this little taster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy Hail Sleet shower just there.

We just gotta hope the Irish sea keeps kicking but we have to remember it will die out at some stage overnight as phase 1 ends, but enjoy this little taster.

just listening to the radio forecast there - looks like sleet and snow for more northern counties only over the next few days! is this front on saturday goign to head south at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

For Leahyl:-

I'm only an avid viewer of this forum so this really is the voice of total inexperience offering this.

The Met Eireann site has a rainfall radar :-

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Click on "view this map as an animation" and you'll see what's approaching.

The following link from the National Roads Authority can give you some idea about some basic weather conditions on the national primary routes and you may see a station located close enough to you so as to get some idea how temps and windspeeds etc are panning out.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

The charts are hinting that the latter stages of next week will bring a change in the wind direction, with less cold air seeping across the British Isles.

"As we approach Christmas temperatures will tend to recover, particularly across the south... so chances of an official white Christmas are diminishing."

Just saw this on Sky News website....hope this doesn't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temp dropping nicely..

Temperature: 2.6 °C
    Dew Point: 1.3 °C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement