Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (17/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moderate fluffy snow here now starting to stick, really beautiful :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ensembles show the 12Z GFS run was on the mild side after the 24th. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I'm in Derry and we have had no snow yet. We had a bit of sleety rain. I hope to travel home to Navan tomorrow evening. Do you reckon it will have snowed up here by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heavy sleet here now in Finglas N.Dublin

STILL NOT SNOW TOUGH! :mad:

Finally, temps starting to drop in Waterford (not expecting snow tonight now but would like a nice crisp, cold morning :pac: )

Temp 6C
    DP -1C

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

malman wrote: »
    I'm in Derry and we have had no snow yet. We had a bit of sleety rain. I hope to travel home to Navan tomorrow evening. Do you reckon it will have snowed up here by then?

i had sleety hail today and now its just cloudy and 2c but it looks like the mountains around he may get a coering tonight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

just listening to the radio forecast there - looks like sleet and snow for more northern counties only over the next few days! is this front on saturday goign to head south at all?!
    just heard it myself. showers are now dying out over the Irish Sea.
    I NOW DECLARE THIS EASTERLY LET DOWN PART 584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

1c now in Ennis. Fingers crossed for snow over weekend. Ground is dry.

Skies are clear at the moment. Starting to freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

just heard it myself. showers are now dying out over the Irish Sea.
    I NOW DECLARE THIS EASTERLY LET DOWN PART 584

Jasus, this is going to be a long week if we have reactions like this after around 3 hours of the cold spell kicking off:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Supercell wrote: »

Same here in Rathdrum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Same here in Rathdrum!

Aaaaw you lucky duck! I bet you feel all christmassy now!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

2c with a DP of 1.1c but falling all the time, had some sleet

Finally, temps starting to drop in Waterford (not expecting snow tonight now but would like a nice crisp, cold morning :pac: )

Temp 6C
    DP -1C
    Dewpoint 60 miles north of you is +1c still-no sign of it going sub zero.
    air temp is 3.3c
    It actually feels warm :rolleyes:

I agree with weathercheck though.

None of the cold uppers are here yet and the air over us is not continental as yet it's modified north sea air effectively with a pinch of scandinavia in it.

patience folks :)

Looks like the rising pressure is killing off the showers. This is only act one of the drama though folks!

I reckon above 350 metres has a good covering in the Wicklow mountains if you want to get your fix tomorrow.

Going to be a fun weekend!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Some nice snow starting to roll into the SE UK on the last couple of frames on the radar loop - those jammy feckers! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

sky has cleared up here in SE Dublin, I think that's the end of any sort of precipitation until.....saturday:rolleyes::cool:

Some nice snow starting to roll into the SE UK on the last couple of frames on the radar loop - those jammy feckers! :pac:

I know they always get the best of it - god dam brits (joking!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Supercell wrote: »

is that youre cam on weather underground?
    if it is any chance of light till we see some of that loverly white stuff :D
    pleazzzzzzzz

Temp down to 5C now, dropped 3 degrees in about 30 mins.

You're in waterford maquiladora right? There's hope for us munster people yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

maquiladora any chance of snow showers here in kilkenny tonite?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Issued at 17 December 2009 - 17:19
    Early Weather Warning
    A very cold spell expected this weekend and the early days of next week. Showers of sleet and snow in many areas, the northern half of country and western counties most at risk. Widespread severe frosts leading to icy roads.

cork surely has to be a western county?! i presume they mean the showers by the sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dew Point down to 0.7c now, cold has finally arrived. FI charts show atlanic coming back for xmas so enjoy this cold spell

leahyl wrote: »
    You're in waterford maquiladora right? There's hope for us munster people yet!

Plenty of hope for everyone yet, its only the very start of the cold spell. :pac:

jambofc wrote: »
    is that youre cam on weather underground?
    if it is any chance of light till we see some of that loverly white stuff :D
    pleazzzzzzzz

Yep :)
    If there is snow lying here in the morning you will see it on the webcam but unfortunately the showers are dying out now due to rising pressure, maybe we will get lucky later and have a streamer, but probably not, pressure is 1020 and rising..way to high for decent snow.

The weekend is full of potential, its more likely than not I think that there will be a couple of cm here by Sunday evening.

Issued at 17 December 2009 - 17:19
    Early Weather Warning
    A very cold spell expected this weekend and the early days of next week. Showers of sleet and snow in many areas, the northern half of country and western counties most at risk. Widespread severe frosts leading to icy roads.

cork surely has to be a western county?! i presume they mean the showers by the sunday!

Fantastic stuff!

Fantastic stuff!

Woohoo!! I don't know is Cork a western county really....but i'll go with that!! haha! I'll take anything at this stage! LOL!:D

bassy wrote: »
    maquiladora any chance of snow showers here in kilkenny tonite?.

Looking at the radar it looks like their might be a small sleet/snow shower on the Carlow border there? These showers are meant to ease off later though. Much better chance over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Fantastic stuff!

fantastic if you are up north i'd say! i still think things can change a lot especially with that northerly spreading down on saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padz24

thats global warming for yah!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement