Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu update manager wont update firefox

• 17-12-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im using ubuntu 9.10 with firefox 3.5.5. but according to this http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10416753-264.html this version of firefox is no longer secure. Update manager wont install this though-it says i have the latest updates already. Should i go directly to the firefox website and install manually?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hi

Im using ubuntu 9.10 with firefox 3.5.5. but according to this http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10416753-264.html this version of firefox is no longer secure. Update manager wont install this though-it says i have the latest updates already. Should i go directly to the firefox website and install manually?

That's interesting. Repos can sometimes be a bit slow to update. You could install directly from the firefox website packages, but try to place it somewhere you can easily remove it again when ubuntu officially releases 3.5.6 (/opt). Otherwise you could run into sticky situations.

Or alternatively, just use Chrome for a day or two. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Curious-has anyone used ubuntu 9.10 with the opera browser-is it really secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ubuntu is a pain for this. They generally don't update versions of software in repos - just patches for the version that's there. Uninstall it from the package manager and download it from mozilla. That way you will always have the latest version.

I also got rid of bunty's buggy implementation of OO.o and installed the latest version from the OO repo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I dont if anyone else has been having problems with Firefox lately, but its been eating my resources no end. It regularly shoots up to 100% of my CPU usage (out of 200%, 2 processors) in which case I have to force close it and restart it. Ive now taken to Google Chrome but I prefer Firefox. Bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

run ubuntuzilla to get latest build of FF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I dont if anyone else has been having problems with Firefox lately, but its been eating my resources no end. It regularly shoots up to 100% of my CPU usage (out of 200%, 2 processors) in which case I have to force close it and restart it. Ive now taken to Google Chrome but I prefer Firefox. Bummer.[/QUOTE

It can take up to 15-30 seconds to start on mint. Google chrome starts in less then 2 seconds and is far cleaner. much nicer browser

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

New versions of apps don't appear in the repos immediately because they are tested or reviewed at least first. Generally security patches come through quick I thought, but if you absolutely must have the latest asap trychecking the pre-release & unsupported release (open the "System -> Administration -> Software Sources", select the "Updates" tab).

But regardless, I guess unless a project uses launchpad for their release management there will always be some lag. But the point of the repos is that hopefully you will have less issues of conflict and instability because of that - as well as ease of installation.

Many apps are available from their own Launchpad PPA - I use nightly builds of FF & Amarok for these projects - they can be a little unstable - especially FF. And who knows... as development release it might even be less secure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

An update just ran in my background-now i have firefox 3.5.6-sweet.

Advertisement