Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not 'getting' an image

• 17-12-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

So I was in at the Jackie Nickerson exhibition yesterday in the Gallery of photography, and didn't quite know what to make of it. Which is exactly the way I felt after seeing Eoin O Connail's one there a few months ago (which worked much better for me second time round). There were a few images yesterday that I just didn't 'get' though and its been bugging me.

Its a small exhibition - maybe 20 images? This one in particular illustrates what I mean -

nickerson1.jpg

Now the website and the literature in there say: In large-scale colour landscapes and portraits, she builds a psychological portrait of her community. The landscapes challenge conventional notions of the picturesque, offering instead a more engaged view of the land. Through Nickerson’s lens, muddy, rutted lanes and straggly hedgerows are imbued with the quiet poetry of the everyday.

I just don't know though? Maybe I'm not looking at it properly. I can see what she's going for, but part of my brain is shouting "it's a picture of a fcuking lane. With mud." I don't want to be someone who NEEDS the spectacular in each image she sees, but then again I don't want to be swooning over an image or collection just because it's by a famous photographer.

I guess I'm asking what think ye? Not necessarily of this image.. Oh I don't know. I just felt the need to post :D

(my brain hurts)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

It got you talking about it.....does that mean it served its purpose? Although i dont 'get it' either

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

It looks like something you'd see in a local newspaper report on flooding. I know art is subjective, but this is ridiculous. I see no 'quiet poetry of the everyday' and my 'conventional notions of the picturesque' aren't challenged. They're bored. Whoever wrote the blurb for this was a genius though. 10/10 for effort and imagination. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Generally I am a huge fan of debunking the bullspit that surrounds this kind of 'art'. I think in essence you have it absolutely correct, Sinead. It's a picture of a muddy lane. It's not imbued with poetry. It's not a physcological portrait of her community. It's a picture of a muddy lane.

There's only one thing that's imbued, and that's the description of her work - that's imbued with bullspit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

yep it is a muddy lane. I do not see or feel anything else when I look at it.

Normally your first reaction is the best one.

Different people Different taste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

its a muddy lane. and are they blown highlights i see?
    in my opinion art or not. its a pants shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

sineadw wrote: »

nickerson1.jpg

this lacks effort.. it is sh!te... I mean, who would want this photo on their wall?

2.jpg

another one of his shots... a chav doing a bad pose.. this photographer??? should put down his camera and take up shoveling sh!t on the farm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

CamperMan wrote: »
    another one of his shots... a chav doing a bad pose.. this photographer??? should put down his camera and take up collecting refuse for the council

Hey now, those council street cleaners do good work.

Hey now, those council street cleaners do good work.

ye, I suppose your right there :D I have changed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If that first pic in the OP was posted in this forum for C&C, and if I was less polite, I might describe it as a bit meh, and I would be right.

The same scene with some different processing/filters to bring out the sky, bump the colours a bit, just maybe there'd be something in it, but that would still be using technique to improve what is an essentially bland scene.

Sometimes a bland photo is just a bland photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The same scene with some different processing/filters to bring out the sky, bump the colours a bit, just maybe there'd be something in it, but that would still be using technique to improve what is an essentially bland scene.

Maybe be improved with a spot of HDR, eh :D

Maybe be improved with a spot of HDR, eh :D
    Hurl Directly into Recycle bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I haven't managed to get there yet, but will. I'll make my judgement then.

But I do remember a previous series of shots by Jackie Nickerson, on nuns in a convent, being absolutely slated here. I thought they were wonderful.

Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid

Covey wrote: »
    I haven't managed to get there yet, but will. I'll make my judgement then.

But I do remember a previous series of shots by Jackie Nickerson, on nuns in a convent, being absolutely slated here. I thought they were wonderful.

http://www.specsavers.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I remember going to the Photographers Gallery in London a while back. Took me a while to find it but was looking forward to seeing some really good stuff there. The main exhibition was some of the worst stuff I have ever seen printed ... ever. They were poorly exposed. The composition of the images had little to interest the eye. There was bit of images that needed to be cropped out. It was truly awful.

I spoke to a girl there about these images & she obviously thought they were the work of a genius. I mentioned how I thought that the quality was quite low & she asked had i watched the Video that was on display where the images were displayed. I said I hadn't & she then told me "Well then you obviously would not understand"

I have found an article in the Telegraph with some images from it.

Maybe "Luvvies" get excited by this stuff but it doesn't do a lot for me.

Oh, so you've seen those convent photos, have you :confused:

For reference:
    http://www.steidlville.com/books/601-Faith.html

meh,not a fan of any of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Muddy Lame.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah. I quite liked them aswell actually. The straight portraits didn't do much for me but the interiors and some of the more involved portraits are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ok, first off i haven't seen the exhibition, so i'm only going to comment on the one quoted in the op.

it's funny how differently people can look at the same image. when i looked at it first i got a kind of base reaction as i grew up on a farm. i recognise lanes like that cause i grew up around them. the blurb says something about ''challenging conventional notions of the picturesque, offering instead a more engaged view of the land'' which is kinda exactly what i see.

a lot of people look at a landscape in terms of colour, prettyness, ''picturesque-ness'' if you like through their lens but there's another aspect to the landscape which is the actual earth itself. how it's farmed, how it serves different purposes through the seasons, how it's solid and liquid at different times of the year... a whole lot of other things that maybe people who work the land might be more engaged with than people who live in towns and cities and over generations have lost that connection with ''the land''. when i look at that image i wonder what kind of work the farmer is doing up that lane, how many people have driven their machinery up that lane over the centuries, are the 2 fields even owned by the same farmer? maybe it's not even a farmed field anymore, maybe there's a load of houses being built up there, maybe.... maybe...... lots of things.....

as ''arty blurb'' goes i don't think that exhibition statement is too bad, i don't think there's anything too impenetrable in there tbh. what is too bad is that instead of questioning our reaction to a piece of work some people feel the need to outright ridicule it and call it ''sh!te'' :(

Just to add to what Artyeva has said, I think it's also unfair to judge an exhibition of an integrated set of images, which this is, on a 400pixel post in a forum.

Of course Sinead has seen it and her view is her impressions.

Without seeing the proper pieces and how they fit in with each other it's really impossible to judge.

artyeva wrote: »
    ok, first off i haven't seen the exhibition, so i'm only going to comment on the one quoted in the op.

it's funny how differently people can look at the same image. when i looked at it first i got a kind of base reaction as i grew up on a farm. i recognise lanes like that cause i grew up around them. the blurb says something about ''challenging conventional notions of the picturesque, offering instead a more engaged view of the land'' which is kinda exactly what i see.

a lot of people look at a landscape in terms of colour, prettyness, ''picturesque-ness'' if you like through their lens but there's another aspect to the landscape which is the actual earth itself. how it's farmed, how it serves different purposes through the seasons, how it's solid and liquid at different times of the year... a whole lot of other things that maybe people who work the land might be more engaged with than people who live in towns and cities and over generations have lost that connection with ''the land''. when i look at that image i wonder what kind of work the farmer is doing up that lane, how many people have driven their machinery up that lane over the centuries, are the 2 fields even owned by the same farmer? maybe it's not even a farmed field anymore, maybe there's a load of houses being built up there, maybe.... maybe...... lots of things.....

as ''arty blurb'' goes i don't think that exhibition statement is too bad, i don't think there's anything too impenetrable in there tbh. what is too bad is that instead of questioning our reaction to a piece of work some people feel the need to outright ridicule it and call it ''sh!te'' :(

The base of your thesis however, is that you have the memories of a farm life to draw on. I also grew up in a similar type environment and yes, childhood memories emerged when I saw the picture. However, for your supposition to be correct, the picture should be accessible to those who don't have those memories and emotions to draw on, which I think it fails on.

However, for your supposition to be correct, the picture should be accessible to those who don't have those memories and emotions to draw on, which I think it fails on.

Why should it be ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I can see both sides of this, so will sit on the fence. At least it's out of the Mud!

Why should it be ?

The marketing blurb states the image is general, and not occupation / birthplace specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

The base of your thesis however, is that you have the memories of a farm life to draw on. I also grew up in a similar type environment and yes, childhood memories emerged when I saw the picture. However, for your supposition to be correct, the picture should be accessible to those who don't have those memories and emotions to draw on, which I think it fails on.

the base of my thesis was not that at all. the basis of ''post'' was that every person who looks at an image will get something out of the act of looking. i shared what i ''saw'' when i looked at the image, it's a pity sometimes that people don't have the interest or tools or whatever of engagement to do just that - engage with something and tell me what it is about it that you do/don't like, rather than merely calling it ''sh!te". tell me what you see past the technical details of the photograph. i don't want to know what you see about the blown highlights or the crop fact or the amount of pixels. tell me about the image. what is says to you, if anything. if it doesn't say anything to you, why not just leave it at that, ''it says nothing to me''... not ''it's sh!te''. :(

therefore, i don't hold with the belief that the picture should be accesible to those who do not have the same childhood memories of growing up on a farm, not at all. i think you may have misunderstood my post,sorry.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Pure muck.

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    the base of my thesis was not that at all. the basis of ''post'' was that every person who looks at an image will get something out of the act of looking. i shared what i ''saw'' when i looked at the image, it's a pity sometimes that people don't have the interest or tools or whatever of engagement to do just that - engage with something and tell me what it is about it that you do/don't like, rather than merely calling it ''sh!te". tell me what you see past the technical details of the photograph. i don't want to know what you see about the blown highlights or the crop fact or the amount of pixels. tell me about the image. what is says to you, if anything. if it doesn't say anything to you, why not just leave it at that, ''it says nothing to me''... not ''it's sh!te''. :(

therefore, i don't hold with the belief that the picture should be accesible to those who do not have the same childhood memories of growing up on a farm, not at all. i think you may have misunderstood my post,sorry.:o

I completely agree with you on the last point - just because I don't like, doesn't mean its not good.

Had that picture been entitled, memories of a farm or something similar, it would have struck something with me directly. But as it stands - its just a picture of a country lane... to me at least.

yes.. and there weren't anything to shout about, they didn't grab my attention

yes.. and there weren't anything to shout about, they didn't grab my attention

Different strokes for different folks :pac:

The marketing blurb states the image is general, and not occupation / birthplace specific.

I never pay any heed to the marketing blurb tbh. But I don't neccessarily see that every photo should try to appeal/be accessible to everyone. I think most actually don't.

A farmer would probably look at that photo & think "Which idiot left the Gate open"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I think a lot of the hostility stems from the 'sure any eejit with a P+S could have done that' mindset.

Which raises several questions. Is it art because someone says it is? Is someone an artist because they say they are? Is it just that someone has the neck/artistic vision* (delete as applicable) to attach an artist's statement to a body of work that raises it above a snapshot of a muddy track? For that matter, does anything raise it above a snapshot of a muddy track?

To a large extent, I agree with artyeva in that, when I saw it, it brought to mind lots of associations for me (I spend a proportion of my working days and nights negotiating such tracks). It probably made me think a lot more than most of the picture postcard landscapes I see.

One isolated image is just that, isolated. Context is everything.

Is it art? Dunno.

Do I 'get' it? Dunno what the artist intended for me to 'get' really.

Has it made me think? Yup.

Is this a good thing? Yup :)

• Advertisement

You nearly got a thumbs up for that, but use of the A word is a mortal sin. :D;):p

At least I had the daycency not to capitalise it!:P

dakar wrote: »
    At least I had the daycency not to capitalise it!:P

Ah but no doubt you'd like to capitalise out of it :D

Ah but no doubt you'd like to capitalise out of it :D

Nah, I'm setting up a commune, where we'll produce AAAAArtistic photos of muddy lanes, eat organic lentils, grow our own hummus and patchouli, and share the proceeds of the prints (on recycled paper, obviously) for the greater good of society. Wanna join?:D;):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think a lot of the hostility stems from the 'sure any eejit with a P+S could have done that' mindset.

Which raises several questions. Is it art because someone says it is? Is someone an artist because they say they are? Is it just that someone has the neck/artistic vision* (delete as applicable) to attach an artist's statement to a body of work that raises it above a snapshot of a muddy track? For that matter, does anything raise it above a snapshot of a muddy track?

To a large extent, I agree with artyeva in that, when I saw it, it brought to mind lots of associations for me (I spend a proportion of my working days and nights negotiating such tracks). It probably made me think a lot more than most of the picture postcard landscapes I see.

One isolated image is just that, isolated. Context is everything.

Is it art? Dunno.

Do I 'get' it? Dunno what the artist intended for me to 'get' really.

Has it made me think? Yup.

Is this a good thing? Yup :)

my antipathy towards it is because I feel that someone is trying to hoodwink me into thinking it is a good image. If I feel (and say) that it's not a good image, them I am laughed at, a philistine.
    In reality, I am the boy in the crowd laughing because I know the emperor has no clothes on :D

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm setting up a commune, where we'll produce AAAAArtistic photos of muddy lanes, eat organic lentils, grow our own hummus and patchouli, and share the proceeds of the prints (on recycled paper, obviously) for the greater good of society. Wanna join?:D;):eek:

I'll be the hummus "grower" .. :D

Having looked at that image again I realise that it is true that it evokes those memories of rural living, though I have also have seen images that convey that feeling a lot better than this image. I must try to get in to see this in context and in print.

my antipathy towards it is because I feel that someone is trying to hoodwink me into thinking it is a good image. If I feel (and say) that it's not a good image, them I am laughed at, a philistine.
    In reality, I am the boy in the crowd laughing because I know the emperor has no clothes on :D

You may well be right. Just wondering though do you think a "poor" image can be something other than that in the context of "a body of work" presenting some kind of concept etc. Assuming it works in that context of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

A huge amount of what you get out of looking at an image comes from what effort you're prepared to put into it, i think.

Most of the people who come along on threads like this and cry "why is that in a gallery, i wouldn't hang it on my wall, it's crap, there' blown highlights" etc aren't looking for much beyond being wooed by pretty colours and composition that fits with their own personal aesthetic taste. When you've got an image (or series of - i think too often these things can't be taken out of context) that doesn't have that element of pretty and actually requires some thinking to appreciate what's going on, they are never going to be bothered, are they? And there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to enjoy the photography equivalent of britney spears and have no time for bach, nobody can force you or tell you you're wrong.

A lot of it also comes down to the environment we live in where we're constantly bombarded with pictures, and the ones that catch your eye are the bright, contrasty, colourful ones. Something subtle just isn't going to have that visual 'hook' in the same way as a wonderbra ad plastered on the side of a bus. But I think there's a place for those subtle, quiet pictures, and they can be appreciated by more than just the 'luvvies' that buy into the whole "it's Art, dahling" scene. I think the problem is that quite often this sort of stuff is presented in that arena, along with the appropriate marketing blurb for that sort of typical red-wine-quaffing-rah-rah-rah-gallery-opening-goers audience, that like to show people just how clever they are by standing in front of prints and stroking their chins, and it automatically excludes a lot of being from being encouraged to appreciate it. Apologies if that sounded derisory but I'm being overly dramatic for the sake of making a point.

My point is that there shouldn't be a clear divide between stuff that is pretty and fits those rules - those rules we usually use to crit photos round here regarding level horizons and sharpness and stuff - and stuff that has something else to it. And you shouldn't have to belong in one 'camp' or the other. I'm glad Sinead started this thread because she's talking about art it an open, and plain language kind of way, and there's no reason why we shouldn't, and there's no reason for everyone to look at this stuff that wouldn't make it through a C&C thread and think there's nothing in it for them.

But at the end of the day, if you put your preconceptions about what photography or what art should be aside and take the time to give something proper attention, and still don't feel anything for it, that's not the fault of you or the photographer. Sometimes you're just not going to make a connection with it. Maybe you do actually 'get' it, and you read the blurb and look at the picture and what they say makes sense, but it just doesn't tug at your heart strings. Jeff Wall's stuff does that to me. But i suppose the thing that matters is that you looked in the first place.

I don't disagree with you.

I don't think it's a particularly good image either, just that the picture (or, on reflection, the discussion) made me think a bit more than the standard chocolate box landscape. I don't think it's particularly well composed or exposed, and I think that a well composed and exposed image could have done the job of making me think without leaving me feeling a bit cheated by the fact that the photgrapher was lazy.

Any opinion is valid, whether you like or dislike something is fine (if an opinion is backed up by some thought process, so much the better).

Anyway, I cheated myself by posing lots of question and wriggling out of answering them directly :)

On the contrary, I think there's a bit of a populist bent on this forum, whenever this subject comes up people are lining up to say how crap the pictures are and to point out technical faults and other trivialities. Coupled with a tendency toward groupthink that tends to shift threads toward an overwhelmingly majority consensus with only a few dissenters and it doesn't make you the boy in the crowd, it makes you just another member of the crowd :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not a big fan of titling a pic and completely against visual exhibitions that need words to discribe the artists intention. Let the viewer be the judge of what the pic is doing and stfu would my instinct. Always wary (and weary) of direction of the viewer...if that's what it's about: then the pics should successfully do it...I don't think this pic fulfills the artist intention to a broad public. It could work in many ways but some fat headed twat thought it neccessary to twoddle on in words, pigeonhole it...there's the rope and there's the lesson in my book.

I've just had a re-look at the OP photo and am looking forward to the exhibition.

Most of us including myself present photos in a particular way, saturation,b/w,obtuse angles and dozens of other things that make the photo look nice/good or whatever. Most of those, do not present an image that we actually see.

That photo, to me at any rate, shows exactly how I would expect to see it in reality, which may well be the point of the whole thing.

My problem with something like this doesn't really stem from just the aesthetic of the image, it's that by merely calling something art people seem to fall over themselves to buy into it.

So grand, we're having a nice discussion about whether this is a pile of sh*te or high art, but I don't believe that was the intention of the picture, it's not to get us talking about what constitutes art, against what constitutes a snapshot. If that were the case there's surely more snapshotty snapshots that you could hang in a gallery to start the conversation. This just comes across to me as a poorly executed landscape/documentary image, which is designed to provoke an emotion and which it falls short of doing.

I guess the question is, if the important thing is to just get people talking, why don't we just hang random images from flickr in galleries, regardless of their aesthetic or emotional merit?

As usual though, once you have a 'name' you can get away with anything.

It all reminds me a bit of this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3604278.stm

Personally I'm with the cleaner...

• Advertisement
Advertisement