Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridge Camera's, whats hot and whats not...

• 17-12-2009 2:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im not much of a compact/bridge user so i wouldn't be too familiar with the latest models on the market.
    The better half has mentioned she would like to get her hands on a decent camera for holidays, concerts etc etc and she likes the idea of a bridge camera. (DSLR is too big and expensive for her needs,)
    The only ones im familiar with at the moment are the Lumix G1 and the Nikon P90 but i have no idea how useful they are.

Some of her requirements are,
    • Decent Optical Zoom
    • Video capability
    • rechargable battery is a plus
    • SDHC Compatable

The tilty flippy aroundy viewfinder/screen on the G1 would be pretty handy but not essential,

Sooo, what do ya'll use and what would you recommend? Are Bridge camera's usually capable of recording video? any tips on where to buy in dublin would be great too.,

Thanks for the help., :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

I don't think you could really call the Panasonic G1 a bridge camera - it's a micro 4/3rds camera which is basically an SLR without a mirror. It will take shots comparable in quality to an SLR. If you can afford it this is a great buy. It does however come with a standard zoom lens which will give you about a 3x zoom. This zoom range can be increased by buying another lens and you're now into the realm of SLRs where you're likely spend lots of money.

If you're looking for an all-in-one camera with a long zoom and video I think I'd seriously consider looking at the Panasonic Lumix TZ7. With it you get a 12x zoom and video capability -all in a body you can fit in your pocket. I got one of these for my sister and it's an incredibly versatile camera.

Other possible cameras in this class are the Canon SX200IS. With this you also get some manual control.

Having used an old Canon bridge camera (S3IS) for a few years and tried both of the above models I'd go for the panasonic. It has a nice feature called intelligent auto which picks the appropriate camera settings depending on the picture. It's surprisingly good and negates a lot of the need for manual settings.

Most people here recommend Gunns on Camden street for buying in Dublin. I've always bought off Pixmania.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Thanks for the response. :)

I see what ya mean about the G1, ive done a little reading into it and think its probably not idea. I'd be interested in peoples opinions of the Nikon P90 (I'm a Nikon DSLR user so id be inclined to go with another if the reviews are any good.,)

My own compact is the Lumix LX-2 and ive been very impressed with it over the time ive had it. They just seem to have so many cameras in their range its difficult to know what to choose. I'll have a look at the ones ya meantioned., thanks., :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

don't know if camera has already been bought but look at-
    Panasonic FZ 35 or Sony SX10 ( I think).
    both great zooms, macro etc.

Advertisement