Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lads go on a months holidays.

Options
  • 17-12-2009 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

So I see in the news today that the *cough* *splutter* hard working *cough* *splutter* *scrath me arse* politicans have given themselves a MONTH'S Christmas holidays!

http://examiner.ie/home/dail-to-get-extra-week-off-despite-jobs-crisis-108059.html

And people wonder what the hell is wrong with this country, eh HELLO its the people who are suppose to in charge of running it. when are these politicans gonna held accountable for THEIR role in the state of the Irish economy???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'm beginning to this the country runs more smoothly when the policiticans are not involved!!!

sure dont they need the time off to spend their TD salaries, their ex-minister pensions, their expenses they've built up over the year...

dont they need a bit of time to get ready for the big bash up in Mary C's house...sure she's been stock piling all kinds of booze recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Jokes aside, I would be interested to know what they actually do during this time off.

Do they go on skiing trips in Zakopane or they do focus on constituency work?
    Or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

These windbags are over paid under worked and do feck all except keep the rest of us in 'not so generous anymore' slavery. No doubt the recent budget cuts is a time for celebration for them as they managed to screw the minimum wagers while their bloated salaries and holidays remain untouched. sickens me really, I wont ever vote again for anything political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Jokes aside, I would be interested to know what they actually do during this time off.

Or what?

I imagine their spin doctors will have you believe that they arent actually on holidays but are working locally in the area they are elected, which means lots of visits to other important rich people for christmas pud n turkey and chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

a couple of times a year we get the same old guff about this

the Dail is not sitting but TDs are not on holiday; if you think they spend most of their time in the Dail contemplating national policy you are waaayyyy of the mark.

they will be up to whatever they normally are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or in other words, they'll be playing at town councillor for the next month, attending lots of funerals, christmas parties, buying pints in the local out of their constituency office expenses account etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Sleepy wrote: »
    Or in other words, they'll be playing at town councillor for the next month, attending lots of funerals, christmas parties, buying pints in the local out of their constituency office expenses account etc.

Back off and shut up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Back off and shut up :mad:

Infraction for aggressive personal comments, and a 3-day ban for being persistently disruptive. A return to the same form on your return to posting will result in a longer, or even permanent ban.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I think that you are all being very hard on our politicians.

35 weeks a year is a long time to be away from all your family and friends andt they work very hard when they are working and lots of them ask lots of questions as you can see on the TV.

Also most of them were working as teachers before they got promoted to the dail and they are not used to working very long hours and they probably would'nt take the job if they had to work longer hours like normal people.

I think you should all back off and stop bullying them over christmas and let them come back refreshed in the new year so that they can come back better able to sort out the inions and the banks and the other things tat are wrong

:)

PS Smiley inserted to indicate that post was not intended to be taken seriously!

lol, if they're not up to the job, they should resign (or be fired).

Having been a teacher in the past is no excuse (though tbh, if I had my way it would almost be a disqualification at this stage). They put themselves forward for election and the people elected them. If they only wanted the job for the cushy salaries, pensions and expenses they shouldn't be there.

Why shouldn't we demand the best from our politicians? Maybe if they see it as bullying like you do, they won't run for re-election and we might get a better crop next time! Look to industry. How much time off does Michael O' Leary take? Richard Branson? Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? Willie Walsh?

The answer is very little. They do the job for long hours for most of the year because they love it (and on the way to where they are, they did it for the money). We're paying our TD's extravagantly because their salary is linked to CEO's.

Unfortunately, they (like much of the public sector) saw benchmarking as only being about getting higher salaries, not about performing to the same level as those they were benchmarked against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I think that you are all being very hard on our politicians.

35 weeks a year is a long time to be away from all your family and friends andt they work very hard when they are working and lots of them ask lots of questions as you can see on the TV.

Also most of them were working as teachers before they got promoted to the dail and they are not used to working very long hours and they probably would'nt take the job if they had to work longer hours like normal people.

I think you should all back off and stop bullying them over christmas and let them come back refreshed in the new year so that they can come back better able to sort out the inions and the banks and the other things tat are wrong

are you being sarcastic or serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Mary Coughlan has been sending round bottles of booze to the Public service offices after cutting the PS staff wages - what a farce and a waste of money.

They kicked up a fuss over the 12 days unpaid leave (2 or 3 days a year for 3 years i thing the agreement was). Then they take themselves an extra 5 days. Spin their paycut to sound harsher etc :mad:

I could scream!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Technically those that were still are teachers, well they are holding down a permanent position that a temporary teacher now has to fill. After they are re-elected for a second term that job should be freed for someone who actually wants to work as a teacher should it not.

As for all these holidays they are a disgrace especially when the country is in crisis. If these people had any kind of leadership instinct at all they would be taking the same holidays as the normal workers in this country and be leaving all the local rubbish (like trying to hold up the opening of a motorway) to the local councillors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

gandalf wrote: »
    Technically those that were still are teachers, well they are holding down a permanent position that a temporary teacher now has to fill. After they are re-elected for a second term that job should be freed for someone who actually wants to work as a teacher should it not

I found out something recently which I was initially shocked but then again knowing our politicians why should I be. If a teacher becomes a politician and has to take up office and temporarily leaves the teaching post then the replacement teacher brought in is only a part time one and the difference in the full time wage of the politician when working as a teacher and part time teacher (we will say for arguments sake €40K V €28K = €12K, these are guesses but you get the picture) is actually kept by the politician. So in effect they are getting paid for someone elses work plus their own salaries. So what should be a saving to the school is not, even though they are paying for someone technically less experienced.This is a fact, not hearsay btw.

Its no wonder they have no interest in giving up the teaching position and only taking a break from it. The sytem is broken i say.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Or what?

smoking cigars, plotting how to rob the country more

Its no wonder they have no interest in giving up the teaching position and only taking a break from it. The sytem is broken i say.

some of them have given up their position, especially after the recent outcry

its worth noting that many other public servants have to resign in order to run for election, never mind actually become a TD

The facts are that this is what they generally do all year round

The idea that the Dail is where they spend their time or do their work is not reality, this is why reform is needed

having the Dail sitting every day would not change the position

Riskymove wrote: »
    having the Dail sitting every day would not change the position

considering some of them dont bother to attend most of the time

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    considering some of them dont bother to attend most of the time

well yes, that's the point I was making

I agree entirely Riskymove. Halving their numbers and expanding the electoral regions to be provincial rather than sub-county-based (e.g. have 20 seats for Connacht rather than 3 in Galway East, 2 in Galway North etc.) would be a good start imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

If fianna fail get relected in 2012, the majority of the population deserve to be culled. :mad:

• Advertisement

fat__tony wrote: »
    If fianna fail get relected in 2012, the majority of the population deserve to be culled. :mad:

2012 :confused: the Maya were onto something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    2012 :confused: the Maya were onto something :p

It'll be the ultimate punishment for the population should they do the unthinkable. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Far be it from me to defend politicians, but let's nail one thing, they are not on holidays.

The Dáil is not sitting.

All the other abuses such as pensions, expenses, two jobbing and stuff are totally correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thought a TD saying **** you *in* the Dail was the height of disgrace.

TD pay ought to be based on attendance, and the Dail ought to sit on all business days - I think the financial incentive would help minimise the county councillor syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sand wrote: »
    I thought a TD saying **** you *in* the Dail was the height of disgrace.

If that was the height of disgrace, we'd be in a lot better shape than we are now.

Advertisement