Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expedia - 1 Letter Change in Passenger Name - Issue

Options
  • 17-12-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi
    I wondering if someone can advise me on this issue.
    I'm travelling to USA in 2weeks via London with Aer Lingus and Virgin.
    I booked the flights via Expedia but I just noticed now that there is an "I" missing in my first name.

I contacted expedia, aer lingus and Virgin about the issue.
    Virgin said they cannot change the name it must be done by Expedia as the ticket was issued by Aer Lingus for their flight:confused:.
    Virgin state that they will not let me board the plane for the USA since the name is not correct.

Aer Lingus state they cannot change the name on the Virgin flight but will allow me to travel to the UK with the "I" missing on their flights.

Expedia state they can do nothing as their system does not allow them to make name changes that I must contact the airlines.

So I am in limbo now. Any Ideas what I could do or did anyone encounter the same issue?

Expedia will change me 150 to cancel the booking but will refund me the flight ticket however it will cost me over 1.5K now to rebook the same flights

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I guess it might depend where this one letter is.

You shouldn't have an issue at all. Most time, they just glance to make sure the name on the ticket matches the passport.

My girlfriend has a double barrelled name, with a space between, but when it goes on flight tickets, there is no space. Never ever had an issue.

You should be fine, and I wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I suppose it would also depend where the fault lies with this, did you input your name on a website and spell it incorrectly or did a agent take your details over the phone and mis-spell it?

To be honest if iots your fault its exactly that your fault and your liable for charges etc, ifr its their fault then they should go about fixing it whatever way they need to and they should do the leg work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I recommend calling Virgin back and asking to speak to a supervisor. To the best of my knowledge Aer Lingus have absolutely no agreement in place with Virgin to issue tickets on their behalf. They only have agreements with United Airlines and JetBlue for transatlantic routes. Officially, you can't even check baggage in with Aer Lingus and have it transferred to a Virgin flight automatically and vice versa.

There will probably be a charge to change the name on the ticket but I see no reason why Virgin can't change a name on their own system. I think their call centres are based in India now and a few times when I rang them I found them a bit useless.

Advertisement