Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect Irish Coffee

Options
  • 17-12-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I was in Chapter One Restaurant recently, and at the end of the meal the waiter came out with a trolley & made a round of Irish Coffees at the table. It was a nice touch to end the meal, and it tasted lovely!

I got a bottle of Jameson from a client in work, and decided I'd like to have a go at making a few of these at home over the Christmas period - Maybe show off to visitors & guests!

Anyway, my question is this:

Should I use fresh pouring cream or can I put a spoonful of fresh whipped cream on top?

When the waiter was putting the cream on top he used fresh cream, and poured it over the back of a spoon so it floats on top of the coffee. I've seen this done before, and when I've tried it the cream never floats on top, it just goes all through the coffee.

Edit: I was in 2 minds about whether to post this here or over in the coffee & tea forum... hope it's in the right place!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've always use whipped cream (fresh - not from a can)!
    Good strong coffee too!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Powers is the original whiskey used to make the Irish Coffee but in all fairness what ever takes your fancy ... but Irish does seem to suit it better than most scotch.

Good fresh coffee (none of your instant crap) is also a must.

Basically make the coffee and whiskey part to your own taste but usually a regular measure (35ml) with 1 spoon of sugar is perfect for most people.

However the key to the success of your Irish Coffee is your cream.

It should be whipped but pourable. Probably slightly more than doubled.

Use an inverted table or desert spoon (Dome side up) dip in warm water place the inverted spoon up against inside of your glass just at or slightly above coffee level. Pour in your whipped cream over spoon to create the perfect head.

And bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Powers is the original whiskey used to make the Irish Coffee but in all fairness what ever takes your fancy ... but Irish does seem to suit it better than most scotch.

Good fresh coffee (none of your instant crap) is also a must.

Basically make the coffee and whiskey part to your own taste but usually a regular measure (35ml) with 1 spoon of sugar is perfect for most people.

However the key to the success of your Irish Coffee is your cream.

It should be whipped but pourable. Probably slightly more than doubled.

Use an inverted table or desert spoon (Dome side up) dip in warm water place the inverted spoon up against inside of your glass just at or slightly above coffee level. Pour in your whipped cream over spoon to create the perfect head.

And bob's your uncle.

Easier said than done! yeah, I'll use freshly ground coffee, and brown sugar. What the guy in Chapter one did was put a good amount of brown sugar in a pan to caramel-ise it, then grate some fresh cinnamon in to it. then in goes the whiskey.

He set it on fire then for a few seconds... I dunno, does this burn off the alcohol while leaving the taste?

Anyway, it was gorgeous! :D

Easier said than done! yeah, I'll use freshly ground coffee, and brown sugar. What the guy in Chapter one did was put a good amount of brown sugar in a pan to caramel-ise it, then grate some fresh cinnamon in to it. then in goes the whiskey.

He set it on fire then for a few seconds... I dunno, does this burn off the alcohol while leaving the taste?

Anyway, it was gorgeous! :D

Sounds great but they are cheating and not creating a true Irish Coffee ...

... there are strict rules to making the perfect Irish Coffee you know ;)

Sounds great but they are cheating and not creating a true Irish Coffee ...

... there are strict rules to making the perfect Irish Coffee you know ;)

What are the rules?

• Advertisement

What are the rules?

I said that with tongue in cheek ... but if you really want to be technical then Irish Coffee has only four parts.

Coffee, Sugar, Irish Whiskey & Cream simple and true and any other ingredients make it null and void under world championship rules ;)

but I kid you not

Check out Article 4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Scald the spoon first by running some boiling water from a kettle over it. Then pour the cream slowly over the back of the spoon.

PS. Agree the cream should be double or so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Want the perfect irish coffee? Go to Foynes in July! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you heat the spoon with the boiling water for a few seconds you can spoon it directly into the coffee. No need to pour it over the spoon.

Made one there tonight. Managed to get the cream floating on top! T'was NICE!

• Advertisement
Advertisement